The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2022, 01:08 AM   #1
RyanBoz46

Bed assembly/tailgate help needed

Hi all, I have a 68 that I am building. Took over where the previous owner left off. It has a repop bed and tailgate (I believe MAR-K), and the prevous owner welded it all together rather than bolting it.

I have a couple of questions/concerns:

- The tops of the bed sides.. mine are arced (high in the center and arced downward at the front and rear) is that normal, or are they supposed to be flat? I'll add a picture.

- The tailgate fitment. The body line on the tailgate is about 1/4 too high where it meets with the body line above the tail lamps, yet, the top of the tailgate sits about 1/8" - 1/4" lower than the top of the bed side. I thought the tailgate might just be defective, but I measured the distance from the top of the tailgate down to that body line and it matches up with an original tail gate that I have. I'll add pictures.

I would appreciate any insight on these issues, thanks,
Ryan
Attached Images

RyanBoz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:17 AM   #2
tutone

Re: Bed assembly/tailgate help needed

The sides should be flat with very minimal deflection from stake pocket to stake pocket. Yours seems excessive. In order for the endgate body lines to be aligned, it needs to be flush with the top. Here is a picture of a properly aligned tailgate. There is some adjustment with the brackets that hold it in place, but not much.
Attached Images

1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:49 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

Looks like someone's attempt to raise the bed floor failed , When they cut the wheel well openings on the inside of the bed to raise the inner wide wheel tubs they removed a lot of structure that needs to be replaced , By removing the structure from the inside of the bedside to make room for the tires to tuck without being reinforced again the bedside will flare out and the the ends of the bedsides will drop , Use your long straight edge down the outside of the bed and see how much the top of the wheel well has bowed out . . The bed is sitting way to close to the cab and whoever started the bed modifications most likely didn't own a square , time to see if the cab is actually sitting square with the frame and reassess the problems with the bed , it's all fixable with a good body man with a cut off wheel and a welder .

Post more pictures of the inner bed and down the sides of the bed also from the back to show how the tailgate is sitting .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKlYLf2oA8I

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 06-14-2022 at 07:48 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:32 PM   #4
hugger6933

I have made several post here about the X method. take a tape and measure a point left to right hen do the opposite right to left and make sure those are on as they should be. you may be able to raise the gate some at the trunions to help you there. On the sides i'd hold in the center and push up on the ends but your gonna need a lot of tools for that that most common at home people dont have. Or maybe your high in the middle that is where your tape is gonna come in handy for you to track it down Like Grump said it is all fixable with a diegrinder and some know how and some money. Good luck. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote