The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #1
AllGoNoShow

Routing exhaust over frame…

I’m in the middle of a custom exhaust install and was originally just going to put the mufflers under the middle of the bed on my 68 C10, but It’s going to be a giant PITA with my suspension and fuel tank to get it out the back. I was looking at it last night and then thought about going over top of frame after exiting the cut outs in the trailing arm crossmember then putting mufflers outside of the frame (then exiting exhaust out front of rear tires). Attached picture is what I was thinking (just a mock-up). Anyone run there exhaust like this and any pros or cons? Seems like there will be a few 90 degree bends this way, but not sure if that’s even an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #2
jimijam00

Re: Routing exhaust over frame…

Wood bed?
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
HotWheelsFan

In my experience with modifications, my thoughts would be exhaust rubbing on the frame or bed. It looks like a close fit and as things wear and settle in place might cause an issue in the future.

I have also seen tight fitting exhaust supports transfer noise and vibration into the body of vehicles as well.

Might take a bit of work but doing a nice job pays off in the long run.

Bob
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #4
Jason Banks

I've never seen it done like that. I have seen where they cut and sleeve the frame at an angle for the pipes to pass through.

The whole custom exhaust using bends is a huge PITA when you are first doing it. I just did my first and feel like I'd be a whole lot better if I got a 2nd chance.

Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
Jason Banks

I was looking to see if I could find the truck where they ran the pipes through at a 45° angle but could only come up with this:

https://www.suspensionsuperstore.com...gaughys-63125/
Old 12-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Are fenderwell headers or something of the sort not an option?

What about the way they did side pipes on Corvettes, and other cars.

They use a U bend off the headers to come outside of the frame rails.

One guy I saw at a show had really big mufflers where the fuel tanks went on a square body to quell the 454bb he had to where it sounded like a 307.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
AllGoNoShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
I've never seen it done like that. I have seen where they cut and sleeve the frame at an angle for the pipes to pass through.

The whole custom exhaust using bends is a huge PITA when you are first doing it. I just did my first and feel like I'd be a whole lot better if I got a 2nd chance.

You aren’t kidding! First time doing it as well and between all the time on making a jig to get the cuts right, cutting and refitting (and messing up now and then), and welding I feel like with the hours I have in it I should have just paid a pro to TIG in a stainless system as opposed to the aluminized steel one I am MIGing in. But I’m learning a lot in the process. Is yours mild steel and did you paint it after? Thinking about throwing some VHT on the whole thing or at least the welds- some other pictures below putting it together (and it’s a metal long bed). Maybe I just need to figure out how to keep it under the bed- at least that way I can fit some longer mufflers to quiet it down too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #8
Jason Banks

I was totally regretting not using stainless when I got done and realized the amount of time I spent building it. I used aluminized steel and spray painted the whole thing with VHT when done. I was so much improved when it came time to get around the rear end and the gas tank, it was not that big of a deal.

Here in Texas that aluminized steel should last at least until it rusts out from the inside.

I used the longest 'turbo' type mufflers I could get.

Your work looks super nice!
Old 12-19-2021, 05:28 PM   #9
AllGoNoShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
I was totally regretting not using stainless when I got done and realized the amount of time I spent building it. I used aluminized steel and spray painted the whole thing with VHT when done. I was so much improved when it came time to get around the rear end and the gas tank, it was not that big of a deal.

Here in Texas that aluminized steel should last at least until it rusts out from the inside.

I used the longest 'turbo' type mufflers I could get.

Your work looks super nice!
Thanks! Did you prime with the VHT or just straight to the top coat? How has it held up?

I agree with you on the aluminized exhaust pipe lasting so long as it doesn’t see salt which mine won’t-I have a 2nd gen camaro I did a cheap exhaust on 20 years ago when I was a teenager and I just took it off and it was still perfectly fine(probably had 40k summer miles on it). But stainless just looks sooo much prettier!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2021, 06:08 PM   #10
cj847

I don't know how to do it, but I recommend keeping it under the bed. It's been done thousands of times. My long bed now has dual exhaust with full length mufflers under the bed. I did have it done at a shop.

PS> When I got the truck it had dual exhaust that was that looped under the frame about a foot after coming out of the manifolds and ran down the outside of the frame. The mufflers were in an odd spot, it limited tire width, it sounded bad, and everyone who saw it said, "what the hell is that crap".

Just sayin' sometimes doing what everyone else is doing isn't a bad thing.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:27 PM   #11
jimijam00

That 180 degree u-turn will suck some flow/power, and heat up at the bend more than the stright pipe. I would not do it.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote