The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2021, 03:33 AM   #1
Accelo

American Auto Wire & Under Dash Lights.

I purchased an American Auto Wire harness which included Under Dash Lights.
The factory lights were plugged into the fuse block. The American Auto Wire harness has an aux. set of wires for the dome light and the under-dash lights if you get this option. The power for both the under dash and dome light is sourced from the same plug. That is where the issue is as you have two plugs, one on the RH side and one on the LH side. You need three or possibly four plugs if you have the cargo lamp also.

The directions indicate you should put up to three wires into the back of a spade connector that inserts into the plug. This is impossible as there isn't room for this many wires.

So, I spliced soldered the wiring to get the connections I needed. (pictured) I really dislike splices, as I think they look unprofessional. I couldn't see other options as no extra plugs were supplied. Afterwards, I decided to add a cargo lamp. That meant I would need two extra connections not provided by the American Auto Wire harness. After the cargo lamp wiring harness arrived, I noticed it had the required spliced plugs built into the factory designed harness. (pictured)

If you purchase the cargo lamp harness for $12 you would have all the extra plugs to operate all four lamps if you run a single set of wires to the interior cab lamp and splice in the cargo lamp at the top of the cab. This would hide the splice in the bulkhead behind the lamps and provide the needed factory style plugs for the power. I only realized this too late for me to make the changes but I recommend it for others using the American Auto Wire harness and the extra lighting. The under the dash lights add a lot to the interior lighting which was wholly inadequate from the factory. The American Auto Wire harness doesn't come with the door switches. I highly recommend adding them as the wire for connecting them is included.
Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
mkmc69

Re: American Auto Wire & Under Dash Lights.

I don't see a problem with splices if they are done correctly and in an inconspicuous place. Thanks for the info though. I'm going to be using one of their harnesses to wire my truck soon.
mkmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
Thealien

Re: American Auto Wire & Under Dash Lights.

Just want to give everyone another option.

Most of the terminals in these connectors are a standard Packard crimp connector. You could double up a couple of wires in the single wire connector to make another junction?

Not sure if I am describing it correctly but I have done that in the past.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote