The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Frizzle Fry

My Factory AM Radio is now mp3 Compatible!

I’m the type that likes the look of a stock dash and radio but wants a modern sound system. A few weeks ago I bought a Rockford Fosgate Omnifi mp3 player. It’s basically a 20gig hard drive based system (easily upgradeable to 120gig) that allows you to transfer mp3s from your computer to your car via USB or optional wireless (which I have).

I had planned to run it stand-alone directly to my cross-over/amps, but I soon found out that it has no built in pre-amp, so no volume control. My existing 10+ year old CD player had no audio inputs either (the way the Omnifi was designed to be installed). I looked at the USA-1thru6 options, but didn’t really want a new deck.

I decided that all really needed to run this thing stand-alone was some sort of volume control capability and power antenna signal. So I did a little google’ing and found info on in-line RCA volume control. A trip to Radio Shack and I was ready to do a little radio surgery.

I picked up some 0-10k ohm potentiometers and surface-mountable RCA jacks. I later discovered that 0-10k was insufficient and went to 0-1M ohm. The 0-10k pots only adjusted volume from 100% down to about 90%. The 0-1M pots adjust volume from 100% down to about 5% (plenty low). A further improvement may be possible using this configuration. My setup works just fine, though it does get a little touchy/sensitive near full volume, meaning a little adjustment goes a long way in volume. But it's not enough to be an issue.

When you remove the covers from the radio you can see there is plenty of room to do this. Just take out a few components behind the volume knob. I didn’t use nor did I plan to use the radio as an actual AM radio.

The existing volume/tone knob has two pots (two are required for stereo volume control) so at first glance I thought this was going to be easier than expected. But they are not matched and are the wrong specs for the job. But the amazing thing is that the annulus (resistive disc - more info here), is nearly identical in size/shape from stock to new. A little clearancing on the new ones and they fit perfectly.

Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote