The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2002, 10:16 PM   #1
nroden

Dash Brake Light Fixed

The dash brake light has been stuck on before and after I replaced my brake lines and ever since I first started my truck in April 2001 after it sat for 8 years. If my grandpa and I remember correctly it was on back then.
Well finally decided I'd show it to someone that was a professional and see what they had to say. Took it to a local shop. He got in and with the engine off and punched the pedal real hard and ever since then its been off. Just comes on for a second when I start up the truck. He said something in the proportioning valve was stuck.
A buddy of mine with an 87 3500 4wd with a 454 and 4spd. was having the same trouble and told him to do it to his and if fixed his too.
What exactly does it do?????
Retired and in the dry... still runs. I now drive Red '01 Ford Focus... better MPG!!!
nroden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:49 PM   #2
Don Smith

When you are bleeding the brakes and when pumping the pedal with moderate pressure with bleeder screw open it will cause the piston in the prop. valve to move and depress the light switch plunger turning it on simulating a brake system failure. It requires approx. 100 pound of pedal pressure to reset the light. Yours is working the way it should.
68 Short Stepside, 350, quadrajet, 700r4, 3:73 posi, power front discs, HEI, Factory Air, Tilt, Tach, accelerator cable instead of rod, sway bar.
96 Impala SS
97 Monte Carlo
Don Smith is offline   Reply With Quote