The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
79bonanza

DD build advice

hey guys hows it going, ive been looking at trucks to buy once i finish school and im not really seeing that have everything i really want in a truck so ive decided im just going to build the truck i want. My first idea was a 2500 4x4 6.0L or a duramax but then i decided against it because all of them with a reasonable amount of miles on them were around 16K plus near me so im not goin to do that.

my idea for a truck i would want to build and DD would have to be a 79 body style chevy. It has to be able to pull and be a 4x4 and be able to cruise the roads with ease.

So this is what i have decided on, a 6.2L from a 2009 and up chevy, ive found them for around 4500 with 9K on them so its a fair price i think. the next is the transmission, i like the new 6 speed auto so im goin with either a 6L80 or a 6L90, ive found them with low miles for around 2000 or so. the transfer case will just be something passenger side drop i dont know if a NP208 will hold the power of a stock 6.2 or not but thats my thoughts.

Im looking to spend around 10k including the price of the truck to build it. ( im not looking for a super nice truck to swap it in to, i kinda want a sleeper looking truck lol so figure 2000 for the truck cost)

what do you guys think
79bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: DD build advice

I think the 6 speed is overkill really, the 4l80e will give you good grunt and hwy comfort, also if budget is a concern, go with a 6.0l instead, you can cam it and all for around $3k and have 450 hp+ at the FW.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
79bonanza

yea ive thought of doing a 6.0 but im already putting a 6.0 in my trail truck and i want my DD to be alittle diffrent from it and i want to use the newest engine thats in the trucks now adays lol im wanting something diffrent and cool lol. as for the 6 speed ive driven a bunch of new trucks with 6 speeds and i kinda like them more than the 4 speeds but i guess its just prefrence
Old 12-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

if your spending 4500 on the engine alone, I doubt you'll come in under your budget. When all is said and done, your going to be closer to the cost of the Duramax truck than you might want.
4500 for the motor
at least 14-1700 for a decent 6speed auto
computer
probably need dbw controls
ecm
tuning to get it to work
all of your bracketry etc...

I really think you might also run into issues with room stuffing the engine in there, with the loong 6 speed trans and then trying to fit a transfer in a reasonable place.
It'd be a sweet project, but I think it might cost a bit more than you hoped once everything is hashed out.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
79bonanza

yea my budget limit is pretty flexible lol i prolly wouldnt factor in the cost of the truck and some of the little things that add up. It will prolly take a year or two once i get the truck to finish the swap because i wont be in to big of a rush to get it done.

i never thought of the length of a 6 speed being much longer than a 4 speed. im goin to be running it in a 4x4 long bed so i have plenty of room under the truck for mounting it, just might have to clearence the floor alittle