The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
MrMilks

Fuel Sending Unit Problem

Hey guys, My truck was reading 1/8 of a tank for 3 weeks and its my daily driver so we all know they don't work like that . Any way So I ran it dry and dropped the tank and swapped the sending unit to see if that would solve the problem, well it didn't and I have no idea what the issue could be. I dropped the left tank and only use the right hand tank, could that cause a problem? Also a while back it wasn't sending fuel to the motor so I bypassed the unit that is used to swap between the two tanks and ran a line straight from the right hand tank to the motor and that solved the problem of not sending fuel. Could have bypassing that unit have caused this issue? Any ideas would be extremely helpful.
Thanks for your time.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
notyo_cheez

Cool Re: Fuel Sending Unit Problem

Can't remember, there's a pink wire that if I'm not mistaken is the feed from the selector to the fuel gauge. When tanks are switched the corresponding sending unit circuit closes as well. Since there's only one tank on it now you probably want to bypass the selector. Also check your connection to ground from the sending unit.
notyo_cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
wilkin250r

Re: Fuel Sending Unit Problem

Sounds like you might be able to solve both problems by replacing the fuel selection valve.

On the earlier models, the electrical signal for the gauge happens at the switch on the dash. It controlled the circuits for the sending units, and also send the signal to the valve below for the actual fuel lines.

On later units, it ALL happens at the valve below. The valve not only controls the flow of fuel, but the valve also controls the switching of the electrical circuits for the fuel gauge. Personally, I have the earlier model, so I don't the characteristics of the later models when they go bad.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
Desert1957

Re: Fuel Sending Unit Problem

Maybe this will help you with the wiring.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote