The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
1948ChevyDumpFixer

Mock/ Hidden Toolboxes for breakdown kit

Lets face it, there is no point in locking these trucks, at least if they appear and function as original.

I'm thinking that I need a "breakdown kit" with a bottle jack, tire iron, basic socket set/ wrenches, spare belt, points/ condenser/ coil, some water/ coolant, hose, etc..

you know, stuff that if you "have it with you" you will "never need it"..

so, I was looking the truck over and thought that a dummy gas tank on the drivers' side, patina matched to the functional one, would make a great faux tool kit and pretty discrete.

Anyone here fabbed up something like this or have any other ideas?
1948ChevyDumpFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Mock/ Hidden Toolboxes for breakdown kit

I haven't had to worry about security where I live and go. And my current classic has an actual tool box that can lock if needed. You didn't mention the year/style truck but the two tanks I assume you have a 73-87. Why not store behind the seat since they all have tilt back seats?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-29-2019 at 09:45 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #3
Sheepdip

My breakdown kit is a AAA Card.
I keep my vehicles properly maintained and serviced, hoses, belts, brakes, tires etc so hopefully I wont need any tools, but if Murphy's Law Prevails there's always AAA.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:58 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

You can get a few of the small tool bags from Home Depot, and shove them behind the seat. This worked well on my C20 before I was forced to get rid of it.

A option I did on my 66 F100 was to cut the behind the seat gas tank to make a storage area. I welded in a couple of dividers to keep it from oil canning. I heavily sprayed the inside with canned bed liner, and it was a nice option. If you have a behind the seat gas tank you could do that.

You could cut a hole in the back of your bed. Between the rear frame rails. Bend up some sheet metal to hold what you need. Most people probably would not notice a lock in the back of the bed on the floor.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:03 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948ChevyDumpFixer View Post
Lets face it, there is no point in locking these trucks, at least if they appear and function as original.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean because they are targets for theft more than anything else? I mean, if it's locked it's no different than anything else being locked. Mine locks but I rarely do lock it or my tool box. I appreciate your creative thinking, but the items you describe don't add up to a whole lot of money. I doubt the parts would be what a thief would be after. I can see him back at the hide-out. "Look at this booty I scored. A fan belt, set of points, condenser, and a brand new coil!". As far as tool dedicated for if and when you might need them. Buy el cheapos, like Harbor Freight. You may never use them or they should be good for at least one use.

I don't carry anything but the fluids and factory jack & iron. If I have my carpentry tools I have a 1/2"/9/16" saw blade wrench that has gotten me out of trouble several times.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-02-2019, 10:04 PM   #6
1948ChevyDumpFixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean because they are targets for theft more than anything else? I mean, if it's locked it's no different than anything else being locked. Mine locks but I rarely do lock it or my tool box. I appreciate your creative thinking, but the items you describe don't add up to a whole lot of money. I doubt the parts would be what a thief would be after. I can see him back at the hide-out. "Look at this booty I scored. A fan belt, set of points, condenser, and a brand new coil!". As far as tool dedicated for if and when you might need them. Buy el cheapos, like Harbor Freight. You may never use them or they should be good for at least one use.

I don't carry anything but the fluids and factory jack & iron. If I have my carpentry tools I have a 1/2"/9/16" saw blade wrench that has gotten me out of trouble several times.
that's a great point, lol. I'd still like to have a good stash of breakdown parts and not have to worry about someone walking off with them. There is a serious lack of room in the cab, and I'd like to avoid having something as obvious as a toolbox in the bed.
1948ChevyDumpFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I'd love to see what you come up with. I was speaking practical and you are speaking creative, and that is something I like more than anything. A creative thing that is practical. Not just some cosmetic thing that serves no real purpose.

Around here I see spare tires up under the bed with wheels that look like the Titanic does now on the upper side when eventually dropped after never being used. But, that's a thought for a small stash area, rig up an '88-up spare tire hoist and keep the goods in a water tight sack

Tim