The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
skyphix

Squarebodys (or anyone) running the donor radiator - Surge tank mounting ideas?

Hey guys,
Getting to where I need to actually mount my surge tank so I can drive my pile. I am using the radiator out of a 2006 GMC Yukon, so its sealed (no cap.) I have the surge tank out of the same 2006 Yukon and have no problem modifying the feet if needed. I figured I'd make something up that bolts through the inner fender but I wanted to get some ideas from people before I just slap something together.

Anyone have any pics of how they did theirs?

Thanks
Eric
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:35 AM   #2
kipps

Re: Squarebodys (or anyone) running the donor radiator - Surge tank mounting ideas?

No real help, but look at the donor vehicle for mounting ideas. The fender curvature isn't that wildly different between a '80 and a '06. Try mounting the bottle in the same place as the donor for the least modifications.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
skyphix

Re: Squarebodys (or anyone) running the donor radiator - Surge tank mounting ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
No real help, but look at the donor vehicle for mounting ideas. The fender curvature isn't that wildly different between a '80 and a '06. Try mounting the bottle in the same place as the donor for the least modifications.

That's kind of what I've been trying to do - the Yukon has a longer "foot" on the tank and it hits an awkward spot on the inner fender. I'm thinking I might be able to cut that foot/stand off and create some new mounting holes in some old bracketry on the tank itself. It seems as though the tank in the Yukon was taller and narrower than those I've seen out of trucks (but maybe not) - if I place it too far up on the inner fender, the hood won't close, so I was just sort of looking to see what others have done for brackets for theirs. I know most people just use a squarebody or aftermarket radiator... so probably a long shot.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
...It seems as though the tank in the Yukon was taller and narrower than those I've seen out of trucks (but maybe not)...
I was thinking the yukon/tahoe was the same as a 1500 pickup from the firewall forward. Could be wrong, though...

Typical suggestion would be to browse pick-n-pull yards. There's bound to be something out of an s10, ranger, or even a random car that would fit perfectly. Bonus of that, is that pick-n-pull yards are a lot of fun just to browse. It's finding the excuse and time to go that's the problem.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
I was thinking the yukon/tahoe was the same as a 1500 pickup from the firewall forward. Could be wrong, though...

Typical suggestion would be to browse pick-n-pull yards. There's bound to be something out of an s10, ranger, or even a random car that would fit perfectly. Bonus of that, is that pick-n-pull yards are a lot of fun just to browse. It's finding the excuse and time to go that's the problem.

ain't that the truth! We have a great U Pull yard locally, but its under a half a foot of snow now, and that whole time thing that keeps slipping away!

I'll keep playing with this one and see if I can figure something out. If not, according to the local U Pull yard price list, they're under $9 and the yard is packed full of rusted out late model Silverados...
Old 12-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
NorCalAnthony

No help here but sub'd for when I get to that part on my swap. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with
NorCalAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote