The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #1
rmneder

Core support mounts?

Hi,
I have a 72 k10. I'm replacing the radiator and noticed the core support mounts are squished pretty bad. The cab mounts don't look too bad. They are not rotted or squishing out anywhere, but I'm sure they're compressed to some extent. My question is can I replace just the core support mounts without messing anything up. I would replace everything but I really don't want to get into a situation where my hood or doors don't close. I don't know anything about aligning panels and I don't think I would be able to do a good job. I loosened the core support bolts to see if the front clip would come up a little on its own and it didn't. If I can't replace just the core support mounts I think I'll just put it back together as is and when I get a chance I'll take it to a body shop and have them do it. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for any input.
rmneder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
Beach-Burban

Re: Core support mounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmneder View Post
Hi,
I have a 72 k10. I'm replacing the radiator and noticed the core support mounts are squished pretty bad. The cab mounts don't look too bad. They are not rotted or squishing out anywhere, but I'm sure they're compressed to some extent. My question is can I replace just the core support mounts without messing anything up. I would replace everything but I really don't want to get into a situation where my hood or doors don't close. I don't know anything about aligning panels and I don't think I would be able to do a good job. I loosened the core support bolts to see if the front clip would come up a little on its own and it didn't. If I can't replace just the core support mounts I think I'll just put it back together as is and when I get a chance I'll take it to a body shop and have them do it. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for any input.
A while ago, I changed out the core supports on my '72 Suburban as the first step before moving on to the 10 body mounts. Well...the body mounts got back-ordered for nearly 5 months and it was several months after delivery that I finally installed them, and I don't think anything got tweeted around during the wait...but to be honest, I already had some minor fitment issues that will be addressed when I get around to the body and paint part of the project. I too know nothing about panel shimming and alignment, so maybe I was oblivious to what I could have messed-up...but the mounts really made a difference for me and my "bad gaps" didn't seem to get any worse? I hope some members with more experience on this topic give you some input.

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
gmc684x4

Re: Core support mounts?

I changed mine as a complete set i undid the two rad support bushings and the 4 cab mount bushings
Leaving the front clip installed
I did not tighten until all 6 new bushings where in place
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote