The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
conoco

Help finishing Engine upgrades

I just need help with some ideas and where I can find the parts for anything suggested. I see tons of trucks on here that are super clean inside the engine bay and just looking to see what I need to transform my own. This is what I currently have.
Gear Vendors Over Drive Unit ( This has been the best purchase I have made so far. Went from 3500 rpm at 65mph down to 2300 at 70mph.
383 Stroker ( dropped my pan and my rods have clearance also measured the stroke) luckily it checked out
AVS2 650
1.52 rockers
performer intake
Long tube Headers
HEI
Not sure on the heads or cam yet. I am pulling the engine this winter.
Gilmer Pulley Set

I guess I am just looking for some ideas maybe pictures or part numbers to make it look nice and clean. and tack on any performance upgrades that are suggested. This is my daily driver and will be as I don't plan on getting another truck EVER lol. I dont want to go the EFI route, it would be cool but I like the way it drives and sounds now. Just looking for upgrades thats all. Thanks for your suggestions The entire truck is stock for the most part minus the engine upgrades. Everything else is original
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #2
Ironangel

Re: Help finishing Engine upgrades

Getting prepared before pulling the motor is a wise move. I purchased an inexpensive electric power washer and an electric leaf blower to use to blow things dry once the washing is complete. An assortment of putty knives, stiff scrub brushes and a couple of cans of Gunk engine degreaser will go far in removing 50 years of dirt and grime. Stock up on a quality rattle can paint to use on the firewall and inner fenders. A quality chassis paint comparable to POR-15 is a good choice for the frame. This kid on YouTube gives some great advice on cleaning the motor without power blasting the electrical connectors and components. https://www.google.com/search?q=clea...C7tAb5z7DwDA27 I've had great results using VHT paint products.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #3

Your truck is 4 wheel drive so keep the cam on the small side. (Under 230 duration @.05).Several company’s make cams for 4x4 trucks and u will find that there duration and lift number are a little smaller 4 a good reason. Run synthetic fluids. Holds up better and the inside of motor will look better, run better down the road. As for heads...Vortec is the budget bang for the buck. As for cleaning....I got a gallon of degreaser and a pump sprayer. Laid it down real good, Let it work for a few minutes, washed and or wiped it all off. While u have the motor out, look at little things like your rubber hose brake lines, various bolts around the engine bay. Think about replacing these with stainless bolts and braided line. Both will last better. With brake hoses, if the outside starts to look ruff, the inside is worse. Your performance needs to b geared toward torque. That 4x4 of yours is heavy and getting it motivated faster will help u with fuel mileage and u will b happy with performace u get.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:48 PM   #4
conoco

Thanks fellas I appreciate it. I am going to start working soon. I'm itching to start. I appreciate the suggestions.
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
truckster

I recently found a product called Oil Eater. It's the best non-toxic degreaser I've ever found.