The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Reaper_Six_Four

3 on a tree rebuid.

My shifter had recently began to get hung up while shifting. I've been trying to find replacement parts for it, but have come up empty handed. I'm was wondering if anyone had overhauled their column to fix the hung shifter. Also if anyone knew where to get parts for overhauling it or if you could buy re-built 3 speed columns. Thanks!
Reaper_Six_Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
64fleetside

Re: 3 on a tree rebuid.

I've redone a couple. Been a while though. Get you a copy of the shop manual, pull the column & disassemble. Likely you will find the edges rounded off on the shift lever mast-this is a tubular piece between the two visible levers at the base of the column-it catches each lever (R-1 or 2-3) . I welded mine up, filed them to fit, cleaned & relubed everything, paying attention to the specs in the manual.
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Shorty Cox

To my limited knowledge, there is not a rebuild-kit available. To this day, I don't understand why. I would think there is a market for it.

I rebuilt my several years ago. If you do a search of my post, you will find photos and instructions as to how I did mine.

64 fleetside is correct. It is just a case of the edges on all the parts rounding off.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Reaper_Six_Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
To my limited knowledge, there is not a rebuild-kit available. To this day, I don't understand why. I would think there is a market for it.

I rebuilt my several years ago. If you do a search of my post, you will find photos and instructions as to how I did mine.

64 fleetside is correct. It is just a case of the edges on all the parts rounding off.

Shorty
Thanks shorty,
Now the problem I'm having is that the when I try to shift out of 3rd the "tit" catches on the slot and doesn't allow me to shift out of 3rd.It seems as though the plate that has 3rd gear's tit slides back into the slot not allowing the slot enough room to release the tit. I don't see much wear on the slot or tit.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
maxwoof

There is an adjustment procedure out there. It has been years since I did it, but it wasn't that hard. You should try that first, and make sure everything is well lubricated. May be all you need.
Posted via Mobile Device
maxwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Shorty Cox

Reaper, I will see if I can find the old post. I had pics with the post. The shifter is a simple/complicated device. It has several things going on with it. Like Maxwoof just said. There is an adjustment at the very bottom of the shift tube. Attached is a pic. The bolt indicated can be loosened and the bracket turned to adjust the shifter.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Shorty Cox

Reaper, I found the old post with pic. I don't know how to link you to it, but may this will work. If this takes you to it. Scroll down to some pics and an explanation of what it did.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=256851

If it don't work, would someone tell me how to link it to here.

Shorty
Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
Reaper_Six_Four

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll keep this post updated with pictures when I get around to actually doing this.

I'm very interested in the adjustments I can make without having to take the column apart
Old 07-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
Shorty Cox

The link did work....hummm

Good luck with the shifter. After I rebuilt mine, I've not had any more problems with the hanging up.

Let us know how it turns out

Shorty