The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
Livemeyer

eBay steering column

Steveshouseofspeed on eBay has offered me a discount on two of the steering columns I'm interested in for my '51 3100, Mabel:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123784721710
This one has u-joints at a slightly higher cost.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264295494394
This one is cheaper, without the u-joints.

Two questions: both of these, being sold on ebay by steveshouseofspeed, are much cheaper than Ididit or Flaming River. Does anyone have experience with these cheaper columns? Any troubles or any reason to think they wouldn't work?

Second question relates to choice. I eventually want to upgrade to IFS though I haven't chosen a maker or style yet. Would it behoove me to get the more expensive one with the u-joints for a MII rack even though I don't have one yet? Or would it be better to wait and get those items later as needed?
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
crossfire84

Re: eBay steering column

The one for $282 looks exactly like the P.O.S. I got from cpp awhile back, all the guts were just dumped inside and when I turned on the key it blew fuses from shorting out! Had to pull it apart and go to the junk yard and get used gm inerds to make it work! I would email him and ask where the first one is made.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire84 View Post
The one for $282 looks exactly like the P.O.S. I got from cpp awhile back, all the guts were just dumped inside and when I turned on the key it blew fuses from shorting out! Had to pull it apart and go to the junk yard and get used gm inerds to make it work! I would email him and ask where the first one is made.
Oh man, that does not sound good! I looked through some other forums and steveshouseofspeed is a Hoffman group eBay reseller, so I'm a bit hesitant. Do you know if CPP is selling Hoffman Group parts?

I also have a lead on one "new" here in Seattle on Craigslist for $120, wondering if the owner got it from the same place. Only problem with the CL unit for $120 is it's black, and I prefer the chrome or the polished aluminum. Still, I could paint it same color as my dash...
Old 07-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
joedoh

dont be cheap on steering or brakes.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
dont be cheap on steering or brakes.
Fine statement, but what's cheap? How do I know if this is or isn't a good product? And would it be better than relying on something from a bone yard?
Old 07-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
crossfire84

If I were to do it again I'd spend the $$ and go with flaming river or ididit, both American made. The time and money spent on the rebuild I could of bought quality.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Old 07-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #7
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livemeyer View Post
Fine statement, but what's cheap?
if you are looking at the lowest price you have found, you are being cheap.

Quote:
How do I know if this is or isn't a good product?
the lowest price is never the best product, only the lowest price, almost without exception. by that measure the highest price does not mean the best product, especially from the same manufacturer. manufacturers usually sell 3 products that are exactly the same except for incremental options as good better best. been at the parts store lately? i have these pads for 20 or the lifetime warranty pads for 30 or the ultra deluxe for 40. pads 1 and 2 are the same pads. pads 3 is likely a small upgrade in the same mold, ceramic, or sintered. what do you do? you dont buy the house brand, you buy the name. raybestos, brembo, because even though it might cost 50 you know the reputation. chances are you are comparing the price of your china column to flaming river or ididit. you should look at either of those before the china columns.

Quote:
And would it be better than relying on something from a bone yard?
a GM column was designed by a team of engineers with million dollar budgets. it was designed to be serviced easily with commonly available parts and have a useful life at least 2.5 times the expected life of the shell. I would buy a GM column and use it as is over any chinese column. just food for thought.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #8
MiraclePieCo

How about these new chrome units (at the back) on Seattle Craigslist?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/p...921513414.html
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2019, 12:57 AM   #9
mick53

you can always have your stock tube chromed.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:49 AM   #10
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
How about these new chrome units (at the back) on Seattle Craigslist?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/p...921513414.html
I will shoot them an email.

About the black one I saw on CL (it's down now) guy says he got it from Jegs, so it has to be this one: https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/70467/10002/-1
Old 07-21-2019, 02:08 AM   #11
Livemeyer

Quote:
if you are looking at the lowest price you have found, you are being cheap.

the lowest price is never the best product, only the lowest price, almost without exception. by that measure the highest price does not mean the best product, especially from the same manufacturer. manufacturers usually sell 3 products that are exactly the same except for incremental options as good better best. been at the parts store lately? i have these pads for 20 or the lifetime warranty pads for 30 or the ultra deluxe for 40. pads 1 and 2 are the same pads. pads 3 is likely a small upgrade in the same mold, ceramic, or sintered. what do you do? you dont buy the house brand, you buy the name. raybestos, brembo, because even though it might cost 50 you know the reputation. chances are you are comparing the price of your china column to flaming river or ididit. you should look at either of those before the china columns.

a GM column was designed by a team of engineers with million dollar budgets. it was designed to be serviced easily with commonly available parts and have a useful life at least 2.5 times the expected life of the shell. I would buy a GM column and use it as is over any chinese column. just food for thought.
OK. Sigh. I hear this all the time. It's misconstrued. I'd like you to lay ididit, flaming river, GM factory and a Chinese knock-off and tell me where the differences lie so I know what I'm paying for. Some people always buy the best brand and I get that. For the extra cash they bring in on every sale they have enough profit to be great stewards of their brands for warranty and service, etc. But the actual item, I can't put my hands on them or see them up close so how do I know that the quality of ididit is twice that of a secondary brand?

And I expected the response about the factory GM stuff. Of course the factory stuff in the bone yard is the original stuff and has been engineered for it's specific purpose. But how safe is a steering wheel from a wrecked truck? And what fits? I can tell you personal style I don't want a new-looking steering wheel and column from a 1990's Suburban or an S10. Besides, from an engineering standpoint, all aftermarket manufacturers start with a factory part to work from. For them to sell their parts they have to interchange with other GM parts. Crane couldn't very well sell cams and roller rockers if they didn't fit properly into the engine block they were designed for.

And when it comes down to it, yes, I'm being cheap. I just spent $2k on engine work, another $750 in full exhaust, and hundreds of dollars in little parts to fix this or that thing. My interest mainly is in doing something once in the most affordable way, but also in a way that looks attractive to the truck and/or improves it's performance or functionality. I want the Ididit column, I truly do. I just don't know why it has to cost $600 when there are others that cost less than half. Answer that question and I'll delay my purchase until I have the cash.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:18 AM   #12
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
you can always have your stock tube chromed.
That's a thought, but I have other reasons for wanting to change out the column, the look is the least important. I have a bearing failed in the column head (mast jacket bearing), which is the main reason. Also, the functionality of a new aftermarket column with tilt and self-canceling turn signals is a plus.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:34 AM   #13
joedoh

Quote:
OK. Sigh. I hear this all the time. It's misconstrued. I'd like you to lay ididit, flaming river, GM factory and a Chinese knock-off and tell me where the differences lie so I know what I'm paying for. Some people always buy the best brand and I get that. For the extra cash they bring in on every sale they have enough profit to be great stewards of their brands for warranty and service, etc. But the actual item, I can't put my hands on them or see them up close so how do I know that the quality of ididit is twice that of a secondary brand?

And I expected the response about the factory GM stuff. Of course the factory stuff in the bone yard is the original stuff and has been engineered for it's specific purpose. But how safe is a steering wheel from a wrecked truck? And what fits? I can tell you personal style I don't want a new-looking steering wheel and column from a 1990's Suburban or an S10. Besides, from an engineering standpoint, all aftermarket manufacturers start with a factory part to work from. For them to sell their parts they have to interchange with other GM parts. Crane couldn't very well sell cams and roller rockers if they didn't fit properly into the engine block they were designed for.

And when it comes down to it, yes, I'm being cheap. I just spent $2k on engine work, another $750 in full exhaust, and hundreds of dollars in little parts to fix this or that thing. My interest mainly is in doing something once in the most affordable way, but also in a way that looks attractive to the truck and/or improves it's performance or functionality. I want the Ididit column, I truly do. I just don't know why it has to cost $600 when there are others that cost less than half. Answer that question and I'll delay my purchase until I have the cash.
half price = buy it twice. ask gigamanx, crossfire, or just do a search at the top for ebay column. this is probably what you will turn up.

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infos...ng_Columns.pdf

believing you deserve a break from high prices because you have already spent a lot isnt really a good way to think about it, by the way. things cost what they cost. there are lots of budget tips on this forum and lots of guys that will help reduce costs of things that arent safety related, so dont get discouraged.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #14
crossfire84

I wish I would of seen that document befor I purchased my CPP P.O.S. column.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Old 07-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #15
lv2tri2

Quote:
half price = buy it twice. ask gigamanx, crossfire, or just do a search at the top for ebay column. this is probably what you will turn up.

believing you deserve a break from high prices because you have already spent a lot isnt really a good way to think about it, by the way. things cost what they cost. there are lots of budget tips on this forum and lots of guys that will help reduce costs of things that arent safety related, so dont get discouraged.
Thanks for taking the time to clear most column issues. I will not be buying anything but "American Made."
lv2tri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #16
Indian113

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire84 View Post
I wish I would of seen that document befor I purchased my CPP P.O.S. column.
Me Too! I bought one and Now I really don't want to install it, I have also bought a Camaro Tilt I will use instead. Plus I hate to sell it to someone because I don't want something bad to happen to anyone else.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #17
mr48chev

READ WHAT JOEDOH said very carefully and then do as he said. This is something that we have gone over countless times and as Crossfire84 said all too many on here and any other forum have had far too much trouble with the cheap aftermarket steering columns.

Ididit and Flaming River use GM innards from GM with their housing on the tilts. They are US made by people who take pride in their work.

I wouldn't trust that Seattle Craigslist thing as both of those are probably something that someone bought and then decided to go with an Ididit. I'd go with one of his used GM columns before buying one of the chrome ones. It kind of looks like he is working at selling off his supply of swapmeet columns as there are some interesting ones for Ford hot rods there.

Find the part number for the Ididit column that fits your needs and then shop that part number for the best deal on the part and shipping. Most vendors have pretty close to the same price across the board but some will treat you right on the shipping.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #18
Livemeyer

Quote:

THIS is exactly the info I was looking for. Not just a blanket statement "Buy American" but justification that staying away from the cheaper product poses a safety risk. I didn't say I wouldn't buy the Ididit or Flaming River column; I was looking for specific reasons why I should spend the extra money. I didn't say I believed I deserved a break from more expensive items, I simply don't want to pay more for a product than I need to. It's reasonable to spend less for a comparable product if two manufacturers make exactly the same thing. Your document shows to me exactly why these two items are not the same, especially where safety is concerned. This is why I started this thread, to find some fact-based information about why one product is better than another. Opinions about this stuff carry less weight. People's direct experiences with the product, good or bad, and factual safety information like what you provided were what I was after. So, decision made: I will forgo the new column for now and just buy a mast jacket bearing to repair my original column, then buy a new column this winter when I have the funds.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #19
gigamanx

Quote:

Yep. I got my eBay special I think it was $240. Does the trick, but here were my issues:

1. GM harness shorted inside the column. I had to pull the wires and redo them all.
2. Tilt is loose. It shakes when I'm driving but still solid.
3. Play in the lower end where it joins the steering shaft. Seems to be a loose bearing.
4. Hazard switch broke, had to replace the inards.
5. No self-cancelling turn signal. Kind of annoying now that I don't have it.

In hindsight, yes I'll be investing in a Flaming River or Ididit. The internal quality is what you're paying for.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #20
mick53

Quote:
THIS is exactly the info I was looking for. Not just a blanket statement "Buy American" but justification that staying away from the cheaper product poses a safety risk. I didn't say I wouldn't buy the Ididit or Flaming River column; I was looking for specific reasons why I should spend the extra money. I didn't say I believed I deserved a break from more expensive items, I simply don't want to pay more for a product than I need to. It's reasonable to spend less for a comparable product if two manufacturers make exactly the same thing. Your document shows to me exactly why these two items are not the same, especially where safety is concerned. This is why I started this thread, to find some fact-based information about why one product is better than another. Opinions about this stuff carry less weight. People's direct experiences with the product, good or bad, and factual safety information like what you provided were what I was after. So, decision made: I will forgo the new column for now and just buy a mast jacket bearing to repair my original column, then buy a new column this winter when I have the funds.
Here is what I'm doing, and this is just me. 53 3100 3 window. Steering box rebuild cost for parts and machine shop about $100. You can get the ball bearings from McMaster Carr for a couple of bucks. I am installing "EPAS" electric power steering. It's about the size of a pint jar and tucks up under the dash. No pumps, hoses, belts or pulleys. If it fails it's like any other just goes back to manual. It's adjustable gain. I'm putting the gain control in the throttle hole with the throttle knob on it. Total cost about $1500. Using stock steering box and column. I got a steering wheel and turn signal mech off a 57 truck from a junk yard, $20. I had the local welding company shorten and weld the column and shaft 4" because of the dished steering wheel of the 57, $30. I got a new internal switch for the mech, $30. I changed out the turn signal handle for the Dakota Digital cruise control handle. It looks pretty stock. Self canceling, indicator lights, cruise control, stock horn button and power steering. Also an added plus no U joints. I have another 57 wheel at home that I plan on putting a smaller ring on. I went this direction primarily for simplicity. I have way to much going on in there as it is. I also went with electric A/C for the same reason. Plus there is always the chance chicks will dig it. Thank you for your time.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #21
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Here is what I'm doing, and this is just me. 53 3100 3 window. Steering box rebuild cost for parts and machine shop about $100. You can get the ball bearings from McMaster Carr for a couple of bucks. I am installing "EPAS" electric power steering. It's about the size of a pint jar and tucks up under the dash. No pumps, hoses, belts or pulleys. If it fails it's like any other just goes back to manual. It's adjustable gain. I'm putting the gain control in the throttle hole with the throttle knob on it. Total cost about $1500. Using stock steering box and column. I got a steering wheel and turn signal mech off a 57 truck from a junk yard, $20. I had the local welding company shorten and weld the column and shaft 4" because of the dished steering wheel of the 57, $30. I got a new internal switch for the mech, $30. I changed out the turn signal handle for the Dakota Digital cruise control handle. It looks pretty stock. Self canceling, indicator lights, cruise control, stock horn button and power steering. Also an added plus no U joints. I have another 57 wheel at home that I plan on putting a smaller ring on. I went this direction primarily for simplicity. I have way to much going on in there as it is. I also went with electric A/C for the same reason. Plus there is always the chance chicks will dig it. Thank you for your time.
Very interesting. There's some of that I won't be doing but the electric power steering interests me. I'd love to see a photo of that setup. Like I said earlier I want to do some sort of IFS conversion in the future so I think a standard power steering setup may be what I end up doing. The electric power steering sounds awesome but also very expensive. I'll likely be doing an electric window wiper motor conversion at some point and also the electric air conditioning would be something for me to look into.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:16 PM   #22
mick53

Quote:
Very interesting. There's some of that I won't be doing but the electric power steering interests me. I'd love to see a photo of that setup. Like I said earlier I want to do some sort of IFS conversion in the future so I think a standard power steering setup may be what I end up doing. The electric power steering sounds awesome but also very expensive. I'll likely be doing an electric window wiper motor conversion at some point and also the electric air conditioning would be something for me to look into.
Electric A/C is pretty salty. With the remote condenser and fan a little over $2k. Then you have to buy the $600 alt. Also extra battery system if you plan to use it with the engine off. That doesn't count the inside kit, another $900. I started my truck fund 20 years ago and having parts made 2 years ago. It's the journey for me.