The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #1
jhutch33

Starter or Ignition Issue...Or something else??? Help!!!

I have a 72 C10 with a newer 350 in it. When I turn the key, sometimes it clicks once, sometimes it does nothing, and other times it makes a short sound like it's going to turn over when I return the key to the off position. After turning the key back and forth 3-5 times, it will fire right up. I assumed it was a starter issue, so I went and got a new starter and put it on. The problem persisted, so I went in and put the shims in. Still, the problem continues. Could it be the ignition switch going bad? Or does anyone have other ideas?
jhutch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:52 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Starter or Ignition Issue...Or something else??? Help!!!

Ignition switch or neutral safety switch. If it is an automatic trans, put it in neutral the next time this happens and see if it starts. Then you will have isolated the problem. But I'd bet that it is the ignition switch. I've seen very few NSS fail.

The reason I would expect it to be ignition over NSS is because the NSS just sits there when you are in park, but the ignition switch contacts wipe over each other every time you start the engine, and the contact isn't as good, so pieces of the contacts eventually arc off.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
jhutch33

Thanks for the input. I greatly appreciate the advice.
jhutch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:25 PM   #4
toolboxchev

Check these. Weak battery, Stuck or bad starter soleniod, worn starter, or about to got out. Also check the distance for the starter gear to flywheel. Do a search on here you will find it.

They actually make a starter brace due to the extreme torque or twisting these go through when actuated.

Got mine thru LMC, it was an actual GM product.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:57 PM   #5
gmc684x4

New starter check

Have battery load tested
Check main engine grounds

Starter shims i think unlikely i think it would drag more after starter dis engagement
It also says automatic of newer manual tranny stock 3 and 4 speeds starter bolts to the bellhousing

Switch can be the issue i did replace mine in my 68 for similar symptoms
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:36 AM   #6
franken

New starter, not check.
Dragging the battery to a parts store to have incompetent people supposedly load check it, again, no. The starter cranking the engine and a voltage measurement is plenty good as a load check. The important bit is interpretation.
Check big connections, definitely agree.

The OP needs to stop and think. The starter makes the engine turn. The ignition makes spark at the correct time. The two aren't related.
Swapping the starter makes no sense. Stop replacing random parts and start troubleshooting. Troubleshooting involves thinking about the symptoms, what makes things do what, such as the starter making the pistons go up and down, or the distributor making spark, thinking about what isn't happening, and how those things interact. Then comes testing, and creating theories about why something is/isn't happening.
Searching the internet and reading is far faster and more productive than posting since answers come in less than a second, and most post replies are questionable at best.
Learn a bit about the thing being worked on (in this case automotive electrics, nasty) and apply basic TS principals and you can TS anything. It's a skill anyone can learn.

Not sorry if that was a bit coarse, but every word is true.

Get a DVM and measure the battery voltage. 12.6V is charged. Measure when the starter tries to crank.
Think about the battery to starter circuit and what's in it. The battery, 2 big cables, the solenoid and the starter.
Is the big battery ground cable going to the engine? It should be.
The solenoid is it's own circuit. It switches the starter and engages the Bendix, or starter drive.
Think and figure out the circuit and components that switch the solenoid.

To me the symptoms sound like a bad connection/part/contact in the solenoid circuit. Start at the battery and mentally and physically follow the electrical path to the solenoid. Measure the voltage from the solenoid S-terminal to ground with the key in the start position.

Once the starter bits are figured out start on the ignition.

Spend money on tools, such as a DVM in this case, brainpower on how they work, how/what to check, and what to make of things, not wasting money on unneeded parts.

Last edited by franken; 08-13-2020 at 01:08 AM.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #7
BigBird05

When I had a intermintant starter issue I hard wired a test light from the starter back inside the cab. Every time I started the engine I could see if the starter sol was getting voltage to it.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Have a look at this.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655903

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote