The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
truckster

$$$ Toyotas

I'm very frustrated this afternoon with my wife's 2008 Highlander Hybrid. The display panel has been showing a VSC/Brake error for a while, and the code it throws is the brake accumulator/ABS actuator. After doing a lot of searching online, I was able to find a replacement for $2,000. I also had to pay for Toyota Information Systems ($55 for 2 days) so I could bleed the brakes once I had it installed (yep, need a computer to bleed brakes).

After replacing the actuator and downloading the software, it asks me for a registration key. My account information won't allow me to register, and, of course, it's Memorial Day weekend so there's no tech support until Tuesday (after my subscription expires). And did I mention that I need to use the computer to bleed the brakes?

It really makes me appreciate the simplicity of my Blazer.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:51 AM   #2
midniteblues

Re: $$$ Toyotas

sorry i'm no help but i feel for ya. i'm having a problem with my wifes rolling computer also.

they should have the cha ching sound when one of those little dash lights start glowing.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
Front Range

You had the intelligence and patience to fix it without being a Toyota line tech. Give yourself a pat on the back for that one. I'd make an assumption that there will be a point in time where the majority of the populace will be so reliant on advanced tech, that there will be a 1% of the population that knows how to fix their own stuff.

So congrats - you have made it to the coveted 1% bracket and can now charge a premium for your services.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Range View Post
You had the intelligence and patience to fix it without being a Toyota line tech. Give yourself a pat on the back for that one. I'd make an assumption that there will be a point in time where the majority of the populace will be so reliant on advanced tech, that there will be a 1% of the population that knows how to fix their own stuff.

So congrats - you have made it to the coveted 1% bracket and can now charge a premium for your services.
Thanks. I appreciate the perspective.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Wait until you get the VCS light with the engine light and some other light that comes on at the same time. After much troubleshooting, I found that it was due to my fuel cap not sealing correctly. (Gasket worn). Replaced the cap, disconnected the battery to reset the lights and computer, then had to figure out why my windows no longer worked correctly. That required some youtube help on how to reprogram the window motor sensors. I finally got it done and no more issues. This is my 2nd Highlander and really like it as a commuter vehicle. Good luck on getting yours squared away.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
truckster

I wish it were that simple. The accumulator had an internal leak ($2,000) so I replaced that. Then I had to buy Toyota's Techstream software so I could bleed the brakes ($55 for a 48 hour subscription) plus a new cable to connect the Highlander to Techstream. After 5 hours of trying to reset the computer, I realized that it wouldn't work because the steering angle sensor is not at 0 degrees. One of my daughters curbed the car hard enough to bend the lower control arm a few months ago. I replaced the control arm and had the vehicle aligned. I didn't realize there was a problem until I figured out that the computer uses VSC, ABS, yaw angle, steering angle, accelerometer, and speed information all to determine if it will let you drive it. It's going back to the alignment shop Monday, and then I'll see if I can reset it - after spending another $55 for a 48 hour Techstream subscription renewal.

Disconnecting the battery on the hybrid doesn't erase codes; it can actually cause new codes, like "linear solenoid valve learning undone."
Old 06-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Ouch! Good luck on getting yours fixed.
My wife was hugely opposed to anything hybrid, and I tried after many years and makes of Toyotas owned, I was ready to make the jump into hybrid, but she wasn't. After hearing your trials, I think I will stay with the traditional (old) Toyota technology.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
truckster

Probably a good call. It's nice when it works, but...

By the way, I counted up the total number of ECMs the Highlander Hybrid has - there are 19. Yep, 19 computers to run this thing. The Apollo moon missions were simpler.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #9
tommys72

Yep.....no hybrids for me. Good luck with yours though

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #10
chip46wis

Similiar situation with a friends GMC 1300 miles off warranty---GM said no way --after he got it fixed he sold it and bought a FURD
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #11
truckster

Yep, it's a known issue with the Highlanders, but Toyota says it's not their problem.

My wife suggested selling hers. I couldn't sell it without fixing it, and once I've done that I might as well keep it. It goes back to the alignment shop tomorrow. Since they're friends of mine I'm planning to ask them to do the reset procedure on the VSC once they've corrected the alignment, since it was the incorrect alignment that kept me from being able to reset it. I'll let you all know what happens.