The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
WyattTX

Is there a fix for bad side molding?

I know this is an age old problem GM is infamous for. But have any of ya'll experimented with different methods of aplying it, that didn't make it fall off later my current Truck has sheet metal screws driven into it by the previous owner. When I get it repainted.one, I'd like to avoid that method. What's funny is GM still has this problem today. My friend bought a 2010 silverado high countRyder brand new. The molding on that truck falls off, if you look at it wrong. Input would be appreciated, thanks.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Is there a fix for bad side molding?

you need to make sure the surface youre applying to is clean and if itzs glossy reduce that gloss some so the glue stays stuck

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
Keith Seymore

You have to use an adhesive prep (solvent) and you have to apply pressure to "wet out" the adhesive. You can't skip these steps, especially the adhesion promoter.

In the assembly plant it is enough to deflect the door sheetmetal, so you have to press pretty hard. I used a rolling pin that I borrowed from my wife.

It's been almost seven years and my moldings are still stuck on.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 05-29-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
Keith Seymore

You are right, though: when we first came out with these adhesive moldings I remember seeing them stuck to the pavement and the guard rails all along I-69 and I-75 in Flint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattTX View Post
My friend bought a 2010 silverado high countRyder brand new. The molding on that truck falls off, if you look at it wrong.

Sounds like the plant screwed up his specific truck.

If you peel the backing too soon (if the molding sits overnight, or during a shutdown like changeover or a strike) then it gets dirty and won't stick.

They also pre-heat the moldings so they are more pliable. If the operator grabs one right out of the box and skips the preheat then that could be a problem too.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
WyattTX

Thanks, I guess I'll have to be careful putting it on there. But you're right, sometimes workers do a better job at intlstallation because the molding on my friends 04, he bought 10 years ago hasn't moved an inch.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Not a week goes by that I don't have a customer come in with a molding falling off. Regardless of GM, Ford, Honda etc etc, they all have issues. It is because there is far too great of a risk when dealing with a molding held on with double back tape. Heaven forbid real clips be used, or a screw hidden by a push in strip.

Sometimes we can clean and retape but most of the time the owner has gone long enough that the molding is too distorted or actually bent/broken and has to be replaced. Anytime we replace a factory molding with the factory adhesive tape, we add more to it.

If we ever had the opportunity to have some engineers in a room alone, I promise you there would be bloodshed.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #7
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
Not a week goes by that I don't have a customer come in with a molding falling off. Regardless of GM, Ford, Honda etc etc, they all have issues. It is because there is far too great of a risk when dealing with a molding held on with double back tape. Heaven forbid real clips be used, or a screw hidden by a push in strip.

Sometimes we can clean and retape but most of the time the owner has gone long enough that the molding is too distorted or actually bent/broken and has to be replaced. Anytime we replace a factory molding with the factory adhesive tape, we add more to it.

If we ever had the opportunity to have some engineers in a room alone, I promise you there would be bloodshed.
I get the same feeling, when I think about the tightwad that designed the second gen dodge ram interior, plastic falls apart, and when you dissassemble it to do work to it the plastic tabs break off making reassembly impossible. And no one makes reproductiono. I Know this a GM forum but that is an agitating problem Ive faced.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

I am removing all of the molding and emblems and having the body shop fill all of the holes prior to repaint. Youngsters around here seem to order their new trucks without molding (base models) and remove decals from the body for a clean look. Of course, then install 20s, slam to the ground, etc.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
I am removing all of the molding and emblems and having the body shop fill all of the holes prior to repaint. Youngsters around here seem to order their new trucks without molding (base models) and remove decals from the body for a clean look. Of course, then install 20s, slam to the ground, etc.
Not trying to offend anyone, but I've never been a fan of "slamming" or "bagging" or lowering. Heck, I'm reluctant to lift 4×4s. To me squares without, the molding, emblems, drip rails etc, look empty to me, though I have seen some sweet looking ones when done right. I'm some what of a purist when it comes to cosmetics, though when it comes to engine and drive train, that's a different story. If I wasn't weird enough, I also prefer long beds over short beds. watch the "farm Truck" video on you tube, and you'll see the truck I wish I had.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #10
tucsonjwt

The quality of body side molding is not sufficient to stand up to 115+ degree heat in HotZona. Silver plastic chrome covering on stock molding discolors and flakes off quickly. Solid black holds up better but fades quickly and needs constant UV protection. I plan to park away from other cars to avoid door dings as I did with all new vehicles I purchased.

I don't go for slammed trucks or oversized wheels either, but I am now a fan of the clean look for reasons mentioned above. My neighbor has a 70s vintage square with no trim and a fresh white paint job and it looks good to me (must have been a base model.) His truck has no hub caps, but I think with dog dish caps and beauty rings it would look a lot better.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:57 PM   #11
WyattTX

Quote:
The quality of body side molding is not sufficient to stand up to 115+ degree heat in HotZona. Silver plastic chrome covering on stock molding discolors and flakes off quickly. Solid black holds up better but fades quickly and needs constant UV protection. I plan to park away from other cars to avoid door dings as I did with all new vehicles I purchased.

I don't go for slammed trucks or oversized wheels either, but I am now a fan of the clean look for reasons mentioned above. My neighbor has a 70s vintage square with no trim and a fresh white paint job and it looks good to me (must have been a base model.) His truck has no hub caps, but I think with dog dish caps and beauty rings it would look a lot better.
You are certainly right, it would be nice not to have to worry about trim getting ruined, but my truck is a silverado, not a base. I saw where someone painted molding on a truck it looked good. There are some silverado only items that I wish they wouldve left out, like the plastic interror trim along the walls, all that does is getc brittle and crack, has no insulating benefits.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #12
tucsonjwt

My truck is a Silverado also, but I am not a purist. Side trim has just been a PITA with this truck ever since I have owned it (past 14 years) and I don't want to deal with it anymore. All of the emblems and trim fell off. Adding the dump conversion to the bed ruined any original preservation possibility.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #13
WyattTX

Quote:
My truck is a Silverado also, but I am not a purist. Side trim has just been a PITA with this truck ever since I have owned it (past 14 years) and I don't want to deal with it anymore. All of the emblems and trim fell off. Adding the dump conversion to the bed ruined any original preservation possibility.
I'll see how well fresh emblems and molding hold up after a repaint, if they start falling off, this silverado might become a custom deluxe, with enhanced interior, and quad headlights.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:42 PM   #14
cadillac_al

I don't think trim screws look all that bad to me, either chrome or black. If the trim has a black strip they are very hard to see, especially if these aren't show trucks.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:08 AM   #15
Justins76
OutOfMyMind & I'llNeverKnowWhy

Pop rivets. Lol. The PO used some rusty screws, so the holes were already there. Just used some 1/8 rivets and its not going to fall off. Not really noticeable if you paint them black.
1992 Pontiac Firebird T-Top 5.0L TBI 700R4
My cardomain page

I don't like to save, it's more fun to spend!!
Justins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #16
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justins76 View Post
Pop rivets. Lol. The PO used some rusty screws, so the holes were already there. Just used some 1/8 rivets and its not going to fall off. Not really noticeable if you paint them black.
That's not bad idea...