The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
rs74

5.7L Vortec issue

So I have been having an issue with my 2000 K2500 since I bought it. It doesn't want to rev or go without having hesitation and some bogging. When in park running and you floor it it hesitates really bad, has a bogging sound and sometimes coughs but after a few seconds it eventually revs up. While driving it the truck is really sluggish when on the throttle like it has no power. I just did a tune up and fuel filter minus coil. Checked fuel pressure today and we have 57-8 KOEO, 52-3 running at idle and spikes to 60-62 when hitting the throttle. Seems like pressure is on the low side but is it enough to cause this issue?

The only other things that comes to mind is either the spyder injectors or maybe plugged cat. I need to see if I can see on my scanner what the timing is while running too. At a loss at this point in time.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
truckster

Re: 5.7L Vortec issue

Injectors are a likely culprit. Does the ECM have a misfire code?
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Injectors are a likely culprit. Does the ECM have a misfire code?
The only code it has is a P0463 which was fuel sender input signal high I believe. As far as I know it still has the original spider injectors and hasn't been upgraded to the new style.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 05-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
The only code it has is a P0463 which was fuel sender input signal high I believe. As far as I know it still has the original spider injectors and hasn't been upgraded to the new style.
My Tahoe which had a vortec had a leaking fuel pressure regulator. They're notorious for the problem. If they've never been replaced, it's probably not a bad idea to replace the complete asm.

I bought the spider/regulator asm on ebay and the old injectors were so bad, they were brittle and broke off when removing them.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
My Tahoe which had a vortec had a leaking fuel pressure regulator. They're notorious for the problem. If they've never been replaced, it's probably not a bad idea to replace the complete asm.

I bought the spider/regulator asm on ebay and the old injectors were so bad, they were brittle and broke off when removing them.
How did you know the regulator was bad. I don't mind putting new parts on as long as it's needed. I don't just want to throw parts at it.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 05-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
How did you know the regulator was bad. I don't mind putting new parts on as long as it's needed. I don't just want to throw parts at it.
I agree to check everything carefully. Ignition components and fuel pressure maybe the ignition coils.

My symptoms were running rough when first started and sometimes loud backfiring when cranking. From doing research online I found out that leaking fuel pressure regulator will cause the backfiring and rough idling when starting -similar to flooding carburetor but worse.

Since mine was a high mileage (app. 200K) 1996 Tahoe, replacing the asm as a unit was a better option.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote