The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: GMC used truck owned by an old guy

GMC was built so Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac could be full line dealers.

GMC's today are typically sold for $2000 more, and are held up as a prestige brand compared to Chevrolet. Since what ever model line you compare you always get more standard or total features on a GMC at that level of trim.

So to me it would seem logical that older men would gravitate towards that. Since the kids are gone, and they can now treat themselves. Plus what I have seen sort of says that is mostly true.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
kipps

A very rough generalization, but I'd say that older men are more likely to be driving 2wd trucks, and the young bucks have the 4wd's. The older fellows learned to drive in any weather with a 2wd. They don't see as much need for 4wd.

Regardless, the 2wd will not have been thrashed on as much as a 4wd.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:39 PM   #3
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
A very rough generalization, but I'd say that older men are more likely to be driving 2wd trucks, and the young bucks have the 4wd's. The older fellows learned to drive in any weather with a 2wd. They don't see as much need for 4wd.

Regardless, the 2wd will not have been thrashed on as much as a 4wd.

Yes, that's true about the young bucks using them for what they are 4 wheel drive ,, and maybe there are more of them than the old guy with his fishing boat.. but it's better odds than none huh?
Old 08-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #4
Leonard60

Maybe so but I’ve been driving GMC since my teens now I’m old. I’ve always been far more partial to the grills on the GMC. But the main reason for buying mostly exclusive GMC has been the dealer. I’ve also been told in the past that GMC is more popular in Canada than it is in the US.
Leonard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #5
Leonard60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
GMC was built so Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac could be full line dealers.

GMC's today are typically sold for $2000 more, and are held up as a prestige brand compared to Chevrolet. Since what ever model line you compare you always get more standard or total features on a GMC at that level of trim.

So to me it would seem logical that older men would gravitate towards that. Since the kids are gone, and they can now treat themselves. Plus what I have seen sort of says that is mostly true.
The GMC truck line is actually older than the Chevrolet line of trucks. Many years ago the GMC truck was believed to be a heavier built truck so it sold more to the people who wanted a heavier truck. Or so I’m told. My father was one of the believers of this.
Leonard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard60 View Post
The GMC truck line is actually older than the Chevrolet line of trucks. Many years ago the GMC truck was believed to be a heavier built truck so it sold more to the people who wanted a heavier truck. Or so I’m told. My father was one of the believers of this.
I was talking in a modern sense. That it was to give other GM companies a full line of vehicles. With out the full line mentality GMC likely would of gone away.

As the modern concept/practice of selling cars came into being GMC was effectively with out a home. Chevy sold pretty much everything they did. I have heard GMC was always more heavy duty the Chevy, and what I have seen on 60-66 trucks. I have a tendency to believe it. Although largely over after then run of 67-72 models. The square bodies is where GMC really was just a small step nicer. Less base engines out there, and usually they have better 1/2 ton suspension. Just as now GMC is always more luxurious then Chevy, and always has the top engine in 1/2 ton trucks. 3/4 ton, and above it just is more luxury at relative matching trim levels. Plus more available options.

It is a mixed bag of half truths and such. With no real facts to say yeah or neah. I have looked a lot years ago, but no one has actually documented anything as of yet I am aware of. My feelings are based of what I previously read, and a life of wasted hot rodding.

If you read about GM in the 60's each car company filled a slice of the pie. Or at least this is where you could read about it being really enforced by corporate. Which the stodgy GM execs give rise to Delorean, and his GTO. Plus the Chevy COPO "program" among many other things we hear of today.

To me not even being a Mopar guy, and of yet still have never personally owned one. My ex-wife had a 09 Charger. I am really taken back by Dodge's programs of the pre-muscle car era till it's end. Plus all the wild, and crazy packages they offered. Having been reading about them off, and on for 17 years since I was 28. You would think I would have jumped on the direct connection band wagon, but as of this writing. I have still only tried to buy 2 72-75 D100's, and missed them by mere minutes each time. I have since purchased a 73 GMC C20 for the title as the rest of it was damn near pure rust bucket. Which I will turn into my dream muscle truck, and look for another D100 later later.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote