The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2014, 03:09 AM   #1
LS-K

Bolt-Ons are coming...trans upgrade?

Well after having my LS6 swapped 82' K10 SWB running and doing good for a while, I've gotten the itch I'm sure many of you have gotten after you had your swap running.

I've decided on going with a TSP 228R, headers, Yank SS3600 combo. Of course I'm upgrading valve springs, retainers, pushrods, oil pump, and timing chain.

I'm already running a stock 4L60E/NP208 behind an 05' CTS-V LS6. That's an engine with a factory HP rating of 400. Now discount the HP loss in the drivetrain and add the bolt-one and a tune and it makes me wonder if the 4L60E will hold up. I'm only hoping after a good tune I break the 400hp mark at the wheels.
LS-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
homemade87

Re: Bolt-Ons are coming...trans upgrade?

The 4l60e is not the strongest but I have seen some survive longer that I would have thought they wood . If you pound on it its not going to be if it will fail but when it will fail .

The ls6 is a good power maker . But don't expect 400 at the rear wheels with out pulling the heads and having a cnc port job on them . Also I would recommend one of the cam gurus to spec you a cam for your set up . Cam cost the same . With just a good cam and supporting mods ( no head work ) at best you are going to see 350 to 375rwhp . Being a 4wd may not be that much . But with that power level it will still be a blast to drive .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
LS-K

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
The 4l60e is not the strongest but I have seen some survive longer that I would have thought they wood . If you pound on it its not going to be if it will fail but when it will fail .

The ls6 is a good power maker . But don't expect 400 at the rear wheels with out pulling the heads and having a cnc port job on them . Also I would recommend one of the cam gurus to spec you a cam for your set up . Cam cost the same . With just a good cam and supporting mods ( no head work ) at best you are going to see 350 to 375rwhp . Being a 4wd may not be that much . But with that power level it will still be a blast to drive .
I'm gonna go with this cam and bolt on combo for now. I've seen it get damn near close to the 400 mark but I will keep in mind changing out a couple things later.

As for the transmission/drivetrain part of the equation I've got an NP241C pass. drop lined up to pair up with a 4L80e later on. Just wanted to see what folks thought of the 60E when attached to an engine with these kind of goodies.
Thanks.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
clinebarger

The stock Forward Sprag doesn't like high stall converters.
The 3-4 Clutches & SunShell are other weaknesses.
4L60E's don't like above 5,500 rpm either, LS6 engines really shine in the upper rpm range.

In a heavy 4wd with a high RPM engine (Strange combination?), A 4L80E will be better suited....
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
LS-K

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
The stock Forward Sprag doesn't like high stall converters.
The 3-4 Clutches & SunShell are other weaknesses.
4L60E's don't like above 5,500 rpm either, LS6 engines really shine in the upper rpm range.

In a heavy 4wd with a high RPM engine (Strange combination?), A 4L80E will be better suited....
Yea that does sound like a bad combination. I can see it now. The truck on a dyno getting its tune and bam!! After one pull it's smoked.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
HemiChallenger71

Seen many a 4l60 and 700 go. In my experience they usually start slipping before something goes boom. They can be made to handle some power and ive seen stockers handle wayyy more than they ever should and live a long life.

EDIT: The reason for the thread, if the tuner knows what hes doing with the 4l60 it should live and live well. Bad tuning is the #1 killer of these transmissions stock or performance.

Is this a stock 4x4 truck for daily driving or some big lifted monster? How much does it weigh?

I know your going to do what your going to do with your combo but heres my .02.

I'd go smaller with camshaft selection and tq converter stall. If nothing else tighter converter. 4x4 trucks and big stalls and big camshafts are cool but really dont work well, especially if you do some trail riding out there in AZ. A mud truck, sure, a daily driver and occasional off roader, not at all. In fact if it were my truck, stock tq converter and a 210/220ish @ .050 .550 lift 114-116 lobe sep. cam is what i'd do or even one of those "drop in" truck cams. If you had a 2wd truck i'd say your combo would be great.

Dont forget the roller trunion upgrade for the rockers.

Last edited by HemiChallenger71; 12-31-2014 at 09:13 PM.
HemiChallenger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:39 PM   #7
LS-K

Hemi
I'll be getting the truck tuned by NicD out of the Phoenix area. He comes highly recommended by several folks who helped me with my swap.

I plan on using my truck as a daily with some kick. It'll be driven maybe 2-3 p/wk. it has a close to stock lift rolling on 33's the only off road it'll ever see will be the imperial sand dunes or down south of the border. If I remember correctly she comes in weighing around 3700-3900 lbs.

I had looked into the ASA cam but it seemed to close to what's already in an LS6 (lift wise). I will definitely keep your advice in mind every mile I drive it and I'll definitely keep an ear out for any funky behavior coming from the transmission the bright side is that NP241C is on its way and that's half the battle to upgrading to an 80E
Old 01-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #8
HemiChallenger71

Some of those camshafts are "old" ls1 technology. The asa is a good example of that.

Have you ever driven on sand with a high stall auto? Your factory converter probably flashes up to 2200 2500 anyway.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=652381

See "trucker" cam:
http://www.vincihiperformance.com/ca...s%20truck.html

Last edited by HemiChallenger71; 01-01-2015 at 05:26 PM.
HemiChallenger71 is offline   Reply With Quote