The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
cannaert

The Polished TURD.

First off I will say this I LOVE THIS TRUCK and I am 100% truthful about it and enjoy driving it and working on it.

I got this truck almost two years ago when I was making good money and needed a new truck. Found it at a local independent dealer and picked up on an impulse (DUMB ME) OD rear 82k and O paid 5K for it.
Its a 95 GMC C1500 ECSB 350/4L60E, OD rear 82k and O paid 5K for it.This how it looked at the day I picked it up.

Well two days after picking it was on my way to work and smoked a deer doing about 40 and just toasted the front clip. Picked up a nice complet front clip off a Suburban for $450 from a local yard. Well after swapping the clip out I started noticing a lot of things that were bad with the truck.
But here it was after I fixed it.

well a Few weeks later I was under the truck pulling off the step brackets and putting a new fuel filter on it, well when I was rolling out from under the truck I grabbed the cab corner to slide my self out and I put my hand right threw the side. Needles to say this is were I stared to find every thing that was bad on the truck. But the cab corners and doors were just half ass fixed. Who ever did it never cut the rust out of the truck and then used Wax paper, aluminum ducting tape and a ton of body filler, needless to say I was just pissed off about it. Got new cab corners installed and it then found a set of new doors with one little rust spot on them for $150, but had to drive almost two hours to get them. Got all the parts on before winter set in.

Well later on that winter I had just dropped my son off at school and was sitting at a stop sign and watched as the kid come up over the hill and locks up the wheels and starts to slid towards me. I just put my foot to the floor to see if I would move and he slammed right into the bed instead of the cab.
Shortly after that happened the tailgate just fell off it well I was driving around one day. SO every body panel has been fixed now and is now slowly becoming one again.

Other things I have had to fix or replace are the transmission, Rear axle (redoing this on again) Fixed the under hood wiring, completely new fuel system in it and a bunch of other things here and there.

Here is was as of the Fall. The reason why it's called the TURD. Just looks bad the way it sits in this pic.

I had more pics of all the things that I have had to fix and found wrong but I can not remember were the memory card they are on is right now.

But I swapped it over to 6 lug in last year. Picked up a 2/4 DJM Drop for it back in January and just got a set of 17s MB Motoring rims with some 245/65R17s. I just shaved the tailgate handle and I am working on finding a roll pan for it. I finely found a GMC grill at a local yard a few weeks ago. I have been slowly painting it flat black and just turning it into a DD/Work truck/Tow Rig. I still love this truck and yea its been giving me fits everytime I fix it something else goes wrong but I just fix the thing and get it back on the road again.
cannaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Re: The Polished TURD.

I know all about hitting a deer and having to change front clips. I feel your pain there. On the bright side, looks and sounds like you been working hard on it. I’d like to see some pics of it with the drop and rims if you find them.
dragginmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
cannaert

Thanks. Yea its been a long year and half with this truck.
But the rims are at the powder coater right now and should be done either today or tomorrow. Will get the tires mounted and balanced and then throw them on and get some pics of it.
Still working on the rear end. I had to go buy a brand new ring and pinion set for it and now I am looking for some that can set it up for me.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
rocking chevy

looks good so far, at least its done right now, its just to bad someone couldn't have done it right in the first place.
rocking chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
cannaert

Here are the rims Before they went out to get cleaned up and powder coated. Also picked up some hood vents off a old Lumina Z34 Euro package. I going to look for another hood and drop them in to it but I am not sure were I want them so I snapped a few pics to ask.

Outside edges

Inside but not this close together
Old 04-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Somebody else was contemplating that same Z34 hood mod...maybe Richie?? I don't know if he ever did it or not though. I think it would look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote