The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #51
toocrazy

Re: 69 slammed, 22"/24" bbc shaved clean

thanks guys, we are pretty much working every day right now on the truck so we hope to continue this forward motion. The second fender is almost done and we are looking for places to hide A/C hoses and wires. I have a feeling this front end is going to be more work than I imagined.
toocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #52
JWall
Frequent Flyer

WOW! Cant wait to see this truck completed.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #53
mcbassin
Still Learning

Awesome project. I'm in.

Oh, I forgot to mention I have shop envy after looking at the pictures of yours. Dang!!!

Last edited by mcbassin; 03-27-2012 at 04:09 PM.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #54
big_al_71

Really like this build so far..

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #55
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocrazy View Post
thanks guys, we are pretty much working every day right now on the truck so we hope to continue this forward motion. The second fender is almost done and we are looking for places to hide A/C hoses and wires. I have a feeling this front end is going to be more work than I imagined.
You could run your a/c hoses behind your new inner fender pieces and use bulk heads down low by the core support. Then run the other end right under the fresh air vent box (bulk heads again) up through the kick panel and over to your unit. I think I might have some pictures, I did my this way. Nice build by the way!

-67 SWB Custom Porterbuilt Front and rear 20/22's Hazel Sold
-71 StepSide Porterbuilt Stage 2 with 20/22's Stella Mae Sold
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #56
heavy_duty

Thants an awesome build.It would be great to see more pics on how you modded the dash to fit the vintage air unit.

Ed
heavy_duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #57
toocrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_duty View Post
Thants an awesome build.It would be great to see more pics on how you modded the dash to fit the vintage air unit.

Ed
Ed, I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them. Sorry have been away for a few days. mark
Old 04-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #58
Splash4195

Nice Project!
Splash4195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #59
toocrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_duty View Post

Ed

Here is a under dash picture of the modification......it is still in the rough. We held the Vintage Air unit up under the dash to see what we needed to cut out. The weird looking dimple is what we beat down to give the windshield wiper hinge some additional room. On the right you can see some of the fasteners from the Porterbuilt hood hinges.

You can see how close we came with our metal under the cowl. We made sure there was enough fall to let the water run off the top.

And finally voiding the outside vent sections on right and left to hide those hood hinges.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #60
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice work modifying the dash to raise the a/c unit. I considered this mod but bailed on it. I just want to get my cab done and knew it would set me back even futher. I think it will be worth the extra time you have invested.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #61
Dunenutt
Newbee

"It became obvious that is was time for me to move forward on building a work-build room in my garage because the dust started flying. I can dedicate a 20 x20 area in the garage to enclose."

I just want a 20x20 garage! Awesome build! Cant wait for updates!
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #62
toocrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Nice work modifying the dash to raise the a/c unit. I considered this mod but bailed on it. I just want to get my cab done and knew it would set me back even futher. I think it will be worth the extra time you have invested.
I think it is worth while, I didn't want that big hunk of plastic hanging down under the dash. There was very little impact on the truck and considering we needed to hide those hood hinges it worked out for the better.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #63
toocrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
"It became obvious that is was time for me to move forward on building a work-build room in my garage because the dust started flying. I can dedicate a 20 x20 area in the garage to enclose."

I just want a 20x20 garage! Awesome build! Cant wait for updates!
thanks a lot for the compliment and sorry about not being sensitive on the garage comment I am spoiled with the space. Funny you mention the garage because a photographer from Garage Style Magazine was here tonight taking photo's of my garage for a future issue. I don't know if you have ever checked it out but its a pretty cool magazine for garage lovers.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #64
toocrazy

here is the link for the magazine.........

http://www.garagestylemagazine.com/current_issue
Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #65
toocrazy

Just checking in. We are back in the take everything apart phase. Right now we are trying to get some direction. There are so many things to do we have be jumping around a little bit. Right now the focus is finish the doors. I have this bit of advise, to save thousands of dollars do not do one piece windows and suicide doors. There is so much work in those two items to make them right it isn't funny. Right now just trying to get the doors finished and we are close. Today we cut out the notch for the front vent windows to straighten out the window opening. One Piece Window Products are nice but I really don't think they are completely perfected so we have made lots of adjustments.

The bed is off and we have just a little bit of sheet metal work to do. The inner bed was cut out to gain the extra room for those big tires. I don't know what you guys have done but we are going to close in the gap without welding directly to the bed. Seems like these new aftermarket bed panels are awful thin. We also are going cut sheet metal for the bed floor in the next few weeks.

The frame is are primary focus this week. Lots of sanding and girding to do. We have probably wasted a bunch of time welding the Porterbuilt C-Notches and other suspension parts on the frame but I wanted something without all those bolts. Next time I am building a custom frame because we have spent so much time on the stock frame. From the looks of it I need to cut down the exhaust pipes as they go over the rear end.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #66
toocrazy

Bummer, what do you do when you see another truck on this forum painting their truck the color you wanted to paint your truck
Old 04-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #67
toocrazy

It has been a few days since I have posted. We have been working non stop in the garage. A week ago we did something crazy. I was getting my 66 burb in condition to sell. I did not feel that I needed two projects. A week ago saturday I said hey this Burb would be cool painted so we stripped the interior out of the truck, doors and fenders are off and now we have two projects.

So here pictured is your typical Porterbuilt upper and lower control arms and your everyday average ordinary CCP Modular Drop Spindle. However, we have designed the bolts used to put together the "bolt on" drop member and C-Notch are very unsightly. Dang it's a lot of work welding this frame!!! We are also boxing at least the front half of the frame so there is ample work to be done.

I want to keep all of the wiring, air line, etc inside the frame. We have some through-hole fittings at the top of the c-notch for access points. If you look under the air tank on the far side of the picture we have made some aluminum inspection plates that will be polished and bolted on for access for running wiring, etc. All of the c-notch has been welded and ground but not finished.

The dual battery tray is at the bottom of the picture. We have some additional through-hole fittings for the battery cable on the inside of the c-notch

I really need to get you guys opinion on this last photo. I really like clean builds.......I don't want to see wires, hoses,..anything.......the wire wall is clean, truck is smooth........you get the point. We built these two steel boxes that will mount high up under the truck bed that mount on either side of the frame to hold the dual air pumps on one side and the big red Ride Tech valve system and computer. They will have covers on them as well. I can more or less stuff all of the extra wire and hoses in the boxes, put the lid on and not see them. What do you think about this??????

Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #68
toocrazy

Almost forgot. check out these cool little 3/8 bulkhead push fittings I will be using for running air through the frame.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #69
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice work on the frame. Keep up the hard work.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #70
67cheby
67cheby

Great work ! Will the compressors get to hot boxed up ?
Posted via Mobile Device
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #71
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Frame is looking sweet bro!!

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #72
toocrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
Great work ! Will the compressors get to hot boxed up ?
Posted via Mobile Device
That is a very good question. I plan to run remote filters outside of the box and also considered a fan. I could mount the compressors on the side of the frame without much interference. I wanted the boxes to be on both sides but I guess they don't have to............
Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #73
toocrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Very nice work on the frame. Keep up the hard work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68jewel View Post
Frame is looking sweet bro!!
thanks......it has a long way to go. I planned on power coating it but since we are boxing frame that will be out and we will stick with painting. I don't know how many of you guys have used all metal but we plan on smoothing the frame before we paint. All the money and time into this frame I could have had Art Morrison custom build me a new one.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #74
67cheby
67cheby

I like all metal also !
Posted via Mobile Device
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #75
Mad Rods
Chevy Only Tx