The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

That's awesome she's into it with you. Glab to see more progress, keep it up my friend!
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer1979 View Post
That's awesome she's into it with you. Glab to see more progress, keep it up my friend!
Thanks for looking man!
I hope your life settles down soon and you can get back to your Tanya!!

BTW my father was born in Janesville, just down the road from you. There are a lot of McMurphy headstones in the graveyard up there. Guess my people been there a spell....

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Thanks for looking man!
I hope your life settles down soon and you can get back to your Tanya!!

BTW my father was born in Janesville, just down the road from you. There are a lot of McMurphy headstones in the graveyard up there. Guess my people been there a spell....
Wow man, that's pretty cool. I have seen the names in the graveyards around here.....it really is a small world. Do you still have any family around here? Ever get down this way?

I'm not giving up on Tanya by any shot. Still collecting parts as I can, in fact I'm probably heading to the junkyard this weekend to continue looking for an inline 6 HEI distributor.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
flips72

looking good, my hats off to you and your wife, braving the alaskan winter to get truck parts, that awesome.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
allaboutchevelles

Those patches you made and welded in the front look like they fit perfect. My hats off to you also. Your getting a lot more done than I would be if I was living up there. Im loving my sunny mid 50s here.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer1979 View Post
Wow man, that's pretty cool. I have seen the names in the graveyards around here.....it really is a small world. Do you still have any family around here? Ever get down this way?

I'm not giving up on Tanya by any shot. Still collecting parts as I can, in fact I'm probably heading to the junkyard this weekend to continue looking for an inline 6 HEI distributor.
Anyone named McMurphy that you would come across is certainly related. There were 2 brothers that came over from Ireland in the early 1700s. One side of the family settled in the mid-east side, and the other side came out west. My father was the youngest of 7 that grew up in your area.
If you ever hear a story of some kid that blew up an old tree in the center of town with dynamite around 1940-ish, that was my dad. He got in a lot of trouble for that cause it blew out some store windows too.....

Good luck on your HEI hunt, hope to see some pics in your thread soon, yours has always been one I kept up on!

Quote:
looking good, my hats off to you and your wife, braving the alaskan winter to get truck parts, that awesome.
Flips, we are from snow country in NE Washington state, so the rule of thumb is if it is warm enough to snow, it is Ok to go outside and get stuff done! I know how crazy that must sound

Quote:
Those patches you made and welded in the front look like they fit perfect. My hats off to you also. Your getting a lot more done than I would be if I was living up there. Im loving my sunny mid 50s here.
Thanks Allabout! I can only take as much credit as is needed to read you guy's builds and how-to stuff on this board! Some great teachers and sharing of tips, tricks, and ideas here

Quote:
Welding rods and the like have been used for filling gaps every since I can remember.. LOL Older than dirt I am.. Welding rods are nice because they give you a round look to the addition instead of sharp.. Just looks better... sometimes.. Looking good .
I am with you on that 57truckguy!
I bought a box of rods just for that, and I been saving the studs from my stud gun and using some of them to help back fill some of the smaller spots too. I was just remarking to the wife I wish someone made a hole fill kit with all different sizes and thickness of plugs. It would be so much faster and easier if I could stud gun a stud onto a dime or quarter for example, and then just weld it in to fill some of these. If I had a kit like that I would fill all kinds of holes in the frame ect....

Thanks for taking a look guys...
I expect to get my cab corner in this weekend, and finish up the face a little more for the cosmetic stuff I want to do to it.
Just an off the wall question... to flatten a line of welds, has anyone ever tried putting a heavy weight metal file/rasp into the end of an air hammer? Trying to grind welds down to a flat straight line or surface is not in my skill set so there has got to be a simpler/better way.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote