The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2017, 12:08 AM   #1
Jose's 69

Question about electric fuel pump

I picked up a used engine off a 92 chevy 2500. I believe the cam does not have the lobe for a mechanical fuel pump so I'm going to wire up an electric one. I ordered a Carter pump since they seem to be the more reliable name. My question is that if I need to run a pressure regulator if the pump is rated at 4-6 psi? I'm running a 1406 edelbrock carb. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Jose's 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:11 AM   #2
SeanB242

Re: Question about electric fuel pump

I had an edelbrock carb on 68. Never could get to run right changed metering rods and springs several times. Ended up going back to a Holley. Not sure about your pressure question. The edelbrock FAQ that I seen says no more than 6.5 lbs though. Not sure if that helps you. Oh I forgot. I just found an unopened pair of rods the other day. No idea what size but if you want them I'll mail them to ya.

Last edited by SeanB242; 03-23-2017 at 04:18 AM.
SeanB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
geezer#99

Edelbrock might say 6.5 psi but 5 psi is better.
Try your carter, if it floods put a fuel return style regulator on it. You'll need a return fuel line for that.
THe reason for that type reg is electric pumps heat up and quit if they're deadheaded.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
Jose's 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB242 View Post
I had an edelbrock carb on 68. Never could get to run right changed metering rods and springs several times. Ended up going back to a Holley. Not sure about your pressure question. The edelbrock FAQ that I seen says no more than 6.5 lbs though. Not sure if that helps you. Oh I forgot. I just found an unopened pair of rods the other day. No idea what size but if you want them I'll mail them to ya.
Thank you. I have the rod but the camshaft doesn't have the lobe for the fuel pump. Maybe I should go with a Holley. Hmm...
Old 03-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
Jose's 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Edelbrock might say 6.5 psi but 5 psi is better.
Try your carter, if it floods put a fuel return style regulator on it. You'll need a return fuel line for that.
THe reason for that type reg is electric pumps heat up and quit if they're deadheaded.
Thank you. I guess I'll try it and see what happens.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
frogsmakr

fellas.. I ran a '94 350 for about ten years in my '67. I removed the plate, put a pushrod in the hole, and installed the fuel pump. It pumped just fine, but your results may vary.
'95 Z-71 two door Tahoe
frogsmakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
davepl

I've used the old Carter fuel pump (the click-click-click style) without a regulator in a few cars in my lifetime, so it should be good.

I did have one cook a battery in the hardest-to-diagnose problem I've ever had, but it's a long story and only applicable to long highway drives if you have a mechanical voltage regulator: when the battery is fully charged, the pump's electrical load cycles the regulator ON briefly but the pump's draw time is shorter than the regulator's response time, meaning the regulator is ON longer than it needs to be. Over a long drive that can overcharge and boil a battery. But that's not a reason to avoid the pump or anything!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #8
Jose's 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsmakr View Post
fellas.. I ran a '94 350 for about ten years in my '67. I removed the plate, put a pushrod in the hole, and installed the fuel pump. It pumped just fine, but your results may vary.
That was my plan but when I put a rod in and rotated the engine I didn't feel the lobe hit. The previous owner had installed a rv2 cam and I'm guessing it didn't have the lobe for the fuel pump.