The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
shortbox9

71 Chevy C10 Radio Advice

71 Chevy C10, all original dash, currently has no radio. i'd like to put some good sound in it. I also want to be able to play an I-Pod. ie. not an original AM radio. Is the LMC radio options the best as they fit the original template?

I see the AM-FM with cassette and an AM-FM with CD. I'm thinking the AM-FM with the cassette is the best option as I will be able to play the I-POD through a cassette wire.

Any advice is appreciated on better ways to get some good sound, look sorta original and be able to play an AUX through the radio.
shortbox9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Graham57a

Re: 71 Chevy C10 Radio Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbox9 View Post
71 Chevy C10, all original dash, currently has no radio. i'd like to put some good sound in it. I also want to be able to play an I-Pod. ie. not an original AM radio. Is the LMC radio options the best as they fit the original template?

I see the AM-FM with cassette and an AM-FM with CD. I'm thinking the AM-FM with the cassette is the best option as I will be able to play the I-POD through a cassette wire.

Any advice is appreciated on better ways to get some good sound, look sorta original and be able to play an AUX through the radio.
What I'm doing on my truck is putting an original AM radio in the dash but not hooking it up, just for looks. Then I'm gonna make a custom glove box liner that accommodates an aftermarket radio with an ipod plug. That way it looks stock but you open the glove box and you can see the actual stereo. Then I plan on putting speakers under the seat. Just my 2c

1972 Chevy SWB Cheyenne Super JANE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=462072
1972 GMC Jimmy PENNY http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=735827
1968 GMC patina swb PEARL http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=731315
1972 Chevy K20 BRUCE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805788
1972 Chevy SWB Highlander OLIVE Build thread coming
Graham57a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
shortbox9

great idea graham.
shortbox9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
red71c10
The Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham57a View Post
What I'm doing on my truck is putting an original AM radio in the dash but not hooking it up, just for looks. Then I'm gonna make a custom glove box liner that accommodates an aftermarket radio with an ipod plug. That way it looks stock but you open the glove box and you can see the actual stereo. Then I plan on putting speakers under the seat. Just my 2c
X2. It's a great way to go! Keeps the stock look and since virtually no one wants to steal a stock AM radio, as long as you keep the modern unit out of sight, it brings down the chances of a break in!

"Driving is like coloring. Things get messy if you can't stay inside the lines."
red71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Or just install speakers to an amp and run the amp directly off the ipod. New Ipods have AM/FM tuners, so if you're just wanting this type of media no need in spending money on a radio. You can just run a radio delete plate for an even cleaner look.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
laplander

Wait................. when did Ipod start offering am/fm tuners of of their Ipods? What version is it? How is the sound quality? do you have a pic of one installed?
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
Or just install speakers to an amp and run the amp directly off the ipod. New Ipods have AM/FM tuners, so if you're just wanting this type of media no need in spending money on a radio. You can just run a radio delete plate for an even cleaner look.
laplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Billett

A radio in the glove box is definitely clean looking, but if you have the cash I think Retro sound Radio makes a unit for these trucks. Factory looking radio with a little chrome, but it also comes with a connector you can put in the glovebox to plug in USB, SD cards, and an aux input. That way you can keep most of the space in there.
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplander View Post
Wait................. when did Ipod start offering am/fm tuners of of their Ipods? What version is it? How is the sound quality? do you have a pic of one installed?
Thanks.
I don't have any pics of one installed as I've never really cared about cutting into the dash personally, but my son's nano has a AM/FM tuner on it. I don't know which version it is other than it has the bigger/rectangular color screen. I only tried 1 station on it and it came in clear.

As for sound quality from an iPod directly to an amp, there will be 2 loses in quality...1 is that it's already a compressed format of sound, 2 is depenent on how you connect the iPod to the amp.

There's 3 ways to connect the ipod:

1. A simple RCA to Audio jack wire which will then use the iPod as the controller. (least quality)
2. Using the same RCA to Audio wire, but also adding an line in booster. (better quality)
3. Purchase an iPod controller (I believe Kenwood makes one, but I saw the post on the HAMB about it) to go in conjuction with amp. (supposedly best quality, but more things to purchase)

If it were me, I'd do #1 1st and then #2 if the quality was too bad to handle.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
1quik70

I left the factory radio in place and put a Sony x Plod with bluetooth capability in the glovebox. I can control everything from my phone, anywhere within 20 feet or so of the truck. I picked up the head unit and two speakers at best buy for under $250!
Posted via Mobile Device
1quik70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
jimmydean

My MP3 player has a tuner as well. Check out Frizzle Fry's deck mod, he made a stock 2 shaft style support a music player.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
GMtrucknut!!

Cool Re: 71 Chevy C10 Radio Advice

I have a USA 630 custom autosound with the 10 disc cd changer mounted under the seat .It has an external usb port and an auxillary jack also which accomodates both an Ipod and Mp3 player.The cd changer is controlled by the deck.With the usb you can also load your favorite songs onto a flash drive ,with the flash drives available it makes your options unlimited. I also bought the kick panel speakers from them . The head unit looks stock with it off and is back lit when turned on,it also incorporates a clock into it. I like the stock appearing look with all the modern equiptment.
GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #12
cubber

I saw a new factory style replacement on ebay for like $160. it has all the ipod interfaces and stuff. Whatever you do, don't buy the $40 2 knob from autozone!!! I bought one, and the shafts lined up, but when I went to slide it into the dash, the center part was about 1/8" too wide fore the opening in the dash. In order for it to fit, I would have had to trim the dash (which defeats the whole purpose). i made a little bracket and have anothe cheap radio hanging under my heater controls. It cost like 45 bucks new, has ipod, usb, memory card, and sounds great hooked to my lmc kick panel speakers and my low profile pyle sub/amp combo. i guess I'll spring for one of those repro units later, but now it just ain't top of the list material.
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #13
Low Elco

kicker makes a bad azz new ipod interface if youre running amps.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Hi
if you have a stock front hole 4X10
slide in 4X6's worked for me up front
PO had kick panel speakers
i've seen Ipods with FM tuners but not with AM,and it's not bad reception
and i use a FM broadcaster for music/hands free
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
poornate

I am buying this... http://www.crutchfield.com/S-seLXHo8...%26+Components
poornate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #16
goosedowning

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbox9 View Post

If you're still looking, here is the best idea Ive seen so far for an uncut dash.

http://www.casmfg.com/Chevy%20Truck%...%20USA-630.htm

It should have all the interfaces you want as well as saving your glovebox and original look.

Hit it till it fits.
goosedowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
swamp rat

I'm pretty happy with the USA-620 custom auto sound, lot of flexibility with it.

I also bought a dual voice coil speaker (4005DVC) to replace the dash speaker which i'm not super impressed with, after the fact someone posted me and said the smaller dual speakers sounded better, i also think if you don't have stock air conditioning you may be able to use the 6X9" or the 5X7 dual voice coil speaker, but measure it up first.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
goosedowning

Quote:

Where can I get a radio delete plate? What would that entail? A certain individual cut my dash to half-way install a crap head unit. Now I'm trying to find something to fix that area.

Hit it till it fits.
goosedowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosedowning View Post
Where can I get a radio delete plate? What would that entail? A certain individual cut my dash to half-way install a crap head unit. Now I'm trying to find something to fix that area.
The best way is to just hound the classifieds for one, or if you are a contributing member, you can post a WTB (Want To Buy) ad. They come up pretty frequently from my past searching...haven't been there in a while though.

Another option is to hopefully find an uncut dash in the yards or classified and cut and reweld it in yours...lots more work and welding/bodywork skills needed, and then you'd need a stock radio to go back in.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
swamp rat

Quote:
then you'd need a stock radio to go back in.
There are a few other options besides a stock radio, Custom Auto Sound being one of them.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #21
zellway

I like the RetroSound units. I have them in all tree of my trucks. Bluetooth, 2 USB's, 2 line in's, 3 set's of RCA with full sub adjustment. Great power. I run the two 4" in the dash and a set of 6x9's. Just my 2 cent's.
Attached Images

1970 C10 step Project Jiminy http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=682647
RUST!? Thats just mother natures way of telling all of us.....MINE!!!!
zellway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #22
Underwoj

Hi zellway...

Just got a retro sound radio myself and had a question. It came with a faceplate but no bezel or trim like what goes around the unit in your pic. Did yours come with a faceplate and trim? The faceplate I have does have a ill trim lip but it's too big to fit thru the original radio opening. Am I missing something?

Thanks!!!
Underwoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #23
zellway

I had to clean up the bezel before sliding it over the face plate. Might be from the chrome plating. I also have mine mounted a bit deeper then normal. I liked the look. I also used the stock radio firewall support. Sorry for the bad pic.
Attached Images

1970 C10 step Project Jiminy http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=682647
Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #24
Underwoj

dang - thanks for replying so quickly! ah that makes sense for getting it over the radio - but mine will actually side over the radio OK - its just the faceplate/bezel thing going thru the opening in the truck. I took a pic to show you how the bezel thing they sent is a little too big (long and tall) to fit in the opening. I can't push it through the opening in the dash and I don't want it mounted on the outside of the dash....I know this must be something simple I am misssin
Attached Images

Underwoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #25
zellway

Your dash looks to be different. Was is repaired? This is what a stock opening looks like
Attached Images