The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2004, 05:40 AM   #1
71jimmy

Body Mount HELP!!!!!!!!

In the process of replacing my body mounts, ordered the kit from Christians. Just removed the rear body mounts, position 5, at the back just by the tailgate. There is a metal piece, three sided, that sits just atop the rubber mount and up against the bottom of the floor. One is bent the other has one side of it missing, probably rusted away. Once the body was raised these pieces were lose, do they need to be welded on??????? Does anyone make these??????? None of my catalogs, or the factory manual I have, shows this piece.

There is another piece that runs inside of this rectangular three sided piece, it is spot welded/tacked to the body, this is were the bolt actually goes through. On the drivers side the spot welds have given out and it is lose. Does this need to be re-spot welded/tacked????????

Hope this makes sense. As always, any and all comments are welcome. Thanks

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 08:00 AM   #2
K5KRAZIE

Are you talking about the rear sill piece? Right under the tailgate. Mine well one is trashed as well when I did my poly mounts and spacers I noticed it, haven't really done anything about it yet but I would think they would be a part of the rear support?

'72 K5
'06 mega dually
K5KRAZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 02:10 PM   #3
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

It is spot welded/tacked there. I think its only purpose is to provide a flat spot for the mount to sit on.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 05:18 PM   #4
71jimmy

K5KRAZIE, yes it is the part by the rear sill.
GEE_EMM, are both pieces supposed to be spot welded? And yes, it gives the bushing a flat place to sit on since there is like a 3 or 4 inch space between the chassis and the bottom of the floor.

Does any one sell these? Or do I need to manufacture some?

Thanks everyone!

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
Old 09-24-2004, 08:02 PM   #5
CUSTOM/10

Rear Sill

If you look at the Goodmark Industries web site They have a picture of the rear sill, and attached to it looks to be what yiur talking about.
Gary
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:38 PM   #6
71jimmy

CUSTOM/10, yes that is the inner piece, the driver side has come off, and I guess I should tack weld back into place. This piece is actually in good shape, just needs to be cleaned up. The other piece I'm asking about slips over this piece on the rear cross sill. It's like a 2 side w/bottom box, no top and two sides open, and wedges between the mount cushion and the bottom of the bed. It doesn't look like it was tack welded but mine are pretty shot so I might not be able to tell. I think I've seen this part on ebay before, and I thought it was new, not someone selling off there parted truck. But I can't find it anywhere else. Maybe I don't even need this piece. Just wondering what others have done.

Thanks

Old 09-24-2004, 11:25 PM   #7
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

I had to make some up. I don't know of anyone that repros these and they are Blazer/Jimmy unique.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:44 PM   #8
71jimmy

Thanks GEE_EMM. I'll make some up too. Am I right that this piece is not tack welded, just sits in there?

Old 09-25-2004, 04:03 AM   #9
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

No there are spot welds on the bed floor and the cross sill holding them on. Someone on this site had some good pictures of the layout and the making of these boxes, I can't remember who, maybe they will post eventually.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:39 AM   #10
71RestoRod

Here you go

I have some pictures of fabbing up those mounts in my webshots album...

Rear Body Mounts
71RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 08:12 PM   #11
71jimmy

GEE_EMM, thanks so much.
71RestoRod, you da man. That is exactly what I'm looking for. Looks easy enough from those great pictures. Except I don't have a blacksmith apron. Any chance you would have made a couple extras? Or might be willing to make a couple more for a fee?

Thanks guys, great info