The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #226
Root2812

Re: Greg's 50 Build

So I posted these questions the other day in the LS section and haven't gotten any feedback. I was hoping you guys could help me. I may be over thinking this but better to ask than not.

So when I painted my engine I didn't mask off the place where the waterpump gasket or exhaust gasket goes. When I see pictures online it looks like a lot of people do. Do I need to strip the paint off? Its smooth so I would think it would seal but I won't want a leak later. I did mask off the intake ports on the heads.

Another thing is that while my engine has been sitting in the frame with no crank pulley I got flash rusting on the crank snout. I was planning on just cleaning that with emory cloth. Think that's the right way?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #227
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
The Roadrunner is a solid piece. Living here in the rust belt it is amazing to see solid panels on an older vehicle.

Progress, a little at a time, is still a good thing.
Thanks, That's kinda why I got it. I had picked up a 68 charger about 6 months prior but it was way too rusty so I sold that and bought this car. I wanted a good solid driver to play with while I built the truck and so far so good. The car has some minor rust in the lower quarters but mechanically its in really good shape and very little rust for an old car. Cosmetics are mostly whats wrong with the car. After the truck is done I will probably paint this car.

Its funny, I have this car I can drive and its fun but I still dream about the truck and think about fixing it up way more than the car.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #228
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
So I posted these questions the other day in the LS section and haven't gotten any feedback. I was hoping you guys could help me. I may be over thinking this but better to ask than not.

So when I painted my engine I didn't mask off the place where the waterpump gasket or exhaust gasket goes. When I see pictures online it looks like a lot of people do. Do I need to strip the paint off? Its smooth so I would think it would seal but I won't want a leak later. I did mask off the intake ports on the heads.

Another thing is that while my engine has been sitting in the frame with no crank pulley I got flash rusting on the crank snout. I was planning on just cleaning that with emory cloth. Think that's the right way?
I would seal the passage ways with towels and take the paint off the sealing surfaces if it was mine. Fine Emory cloth n the crank snout will be good for cleaning the corrosion.

A good friend bought a 70 Demon in 1980 that had 50,000 miles on it. Really nice and rust free with a 340 and 727. He had Wayne County Speed shop put a wicked balance and blue print build on the engine. They were big in NHRA pro stock then. I built the trans, added clutch plates after machining for the modification, reverse pattern valve body. Car then went in the machine shed for about 30 years. His 17 year old son then drug it out and he got it going again. Still wicked cool and mostly sits in the machine shed. All the work we did together, I haven't ridden but a few miles in it.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #229
oldman3

Root, I would clean the mounting surface of paint where the gaskets go. Just me...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #230
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I'm with AD and oldman on it..buffing pad on a die grinder will clean it up just fine...emory cloth will clean that crank as well..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:46 PM   #231
99 to Life

engine looks great setting in there. congrats on the progress, wiring is no joke.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:16 PM   #232
Root2812

Thanks guys. You confirmed my suspicion that the gasket surfaces need stripped. That should be easy. I did tape up those exhaust ports after it was painted so nothing has gotten in there. I am starting to narrow the checklist down before I can have the first fire up. I ordered all of my fuel system and that should be here within a week. I opted for Russell fittings and their ProClassic braided line to connect my Aeromotive fuel pump to the stock fuel rail. Hopefully I can get that all in and have some pictures soon.

After that, to get to first fire I still need to:
-Finish engine harness
-Fbody oilpan
-Exhaust header and head pipe
-Put harness, coils, and sensors on the motor
-Put in oil and trans fluid

To just run it for 20-30 seconds, just to hear it run after all this time, I will not have a radiator but do you guys think I need the accessory drive on it?
Old 05-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #233
mongocanfly
Post Whore

It should be ok for a short time..I wouldn't overdo it..would really be better to have all your stuff hooked up and some coolant in it.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #234
99 to Life

as long as you have coolant in it (topped off), you would be fine to run it for a bit. Those engines take forever to warm up anyway.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #235
Root2812

Well I work slowly but I am working. I got that fuel pump installed. There are a ton of videos online of how to do it but here are a few pictures. I started by figuring out where I wanted the pump. I picked a good spot because the Brother's tank is internally baffled and a misplaced hole would have sucked. The instructions were really clear. I drilled the large hole and used the template ring to drill the bolt holes. You see the green tape lines... those mark where the bed cross member goes. Then the instructions told me how to trim the pump bracket to fit the depth of my tank. Then the set up just dropped in and bolted up. Then I started making my AN lines. This is the first time I have ever made lines and the Russel AN fittings and line is so easy to use. I went with the Proclassic line in the black nylon weave instead of the traditional stainless. The nylon cuts easyer, flexes easyer, and looks better.

I have my engine in and started putting on the accessories that I have. It will be a while before first fire up but I am happy. This picture has some ugly spray painted covers on it but I just got some nice new ones and it look so much better.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #236
steve aleve

Root,

Are you interested in getting rid of those "ugly spray painted covers"? I would be interested in purchasing them if so.
steve aleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #237
Root2812

I think I will be holding on to them for the time being. The drivers side one is cut up from a nitrous install on the car they came off of so its basically junk. I am not sure if I want to stay with the stock black or not so I am planning on taking the other one and testing out smoothing and painting it. If I like that I will do one for the other side.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #238
Root2812

Well, I know I have some followers waiting patiently for me to get some work done. I have done a little, nothing picture worthy, like bolting things on the engine. I had mostly been playing with the Roadrunner because I had to get it ready to race. It autocrossed pretty well for a big car.

The truck project is going on the back burner again for a while. I got a new job and am moving, house went on the market Friday. Then a buddy of mine told me his grandma was selling his late grandpa's car of close to 50 years. It just so happened to be my dream car for the last 20 years (since I was 13). I quickly sold the roadrunner for some money, called in a few favors for loans, and today I bought a 1959 Corvette. I am over the moon excited. I pick it up Thursday.

This car suffered a rusty frame and got rebuilt on a used 59 corvette frame to maintain originality. The owner was in the final stretch of the frame off resto when he passed away. The car is one of 888 built in Crown sapphire (teal) and has its numbers matching drive train. The engine has been rebuilt, balanced, and blue printed and runs like new. It just had a $6000 paint job and comes with loads of new old stock chrome. It still needs a few parts but mostly just needs assembled. The car is drivable as is. The soft top is torn but it came with a new one, the original interior is all there but it has had a new dash pad installed and comes with new carpet. It even has a new stainless steel exhaust. The best part is that its a real 4 speed posi rear car! Yippie. I can drive it a few times yet this fall and spend the winter finishing it.

Sorry truck... Your turn will come....

Old 10-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #239
Atommik

Wow looks great! Just what we all need...another project. Looks like it will be ready in no time. Good luck with the move. Where to? Local?
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:32 PM   #240
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atommik View Post
Wow looks great! Just what we all need...another project. Looks like it will be ready in no time. Good luck with the move. Where to? Local?
Duluth actually. I got a state job with the DNR up there. State has great benefits and a pension plus the cost of living is lower so its a good deal all around.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:52 PM   #241
Advanced Design

A 59 Corvette is one of our dream cars too. Looks like a nice one and should be a good time finishing it off this winter.
Good luck with the relo and new job.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #242
Donnie Lee

Amazing find on the '59, look forward to seeing photos of your progress. I read thru your build again & i have a question, does the TCI spring kit move the rearend back any?

Thanks
Donnie Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:36 PM   #243
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Lee View Post
Amazing find on the '59, look forward to seeing photos of your progress. I read thru your build again & i have a question, does the TCI spring kit move the rearend back any?

Thanks
Thanks, I'm really happy with the vette and I appreciate you liking my build.
The TCI kit left the rearend in the same location front to back but it does lower the rearend 3 inches or so.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #244
Root2812

Well I started my new job but can't find a house to buy. I'm having to live at my in-laws house and commute 160 miles a day (round trip). It hasn't left much time for anything and all of my stuff is scattered all over the state. I did take advantage of the sale Hooker is having for the holidays and I ordered the Hooker manifolds in the ceramic coating and a set of head pipes. If I ever find a place to live and can work on my truck I should be close to having what I need to make it run.

Even though nothing is happening I wanted to pop in and let you all know I am still here and hopefully getting close to getting to work on the truck again.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #245
rusty76

I am sure you will find everything you need in a house soon. Winter is a good time to buy a house. You will quickly find problems in a house in winter that you are likely to miss in the dry summer months. Plus less people looking to move this time of year.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:54 PM   #246
Advanced Design

Greg, did you notice the break in procedure for the coated Hooker exhaust manifolds? Surprised me as that info wasn't in the sales literature.

Good luck with the home search. Hopefully one with a big shop?
Old 12-23-2016, 04:01 AM   #247
iowaboynca

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
likely to miss in the dry summer months...
LOL...Is there such a thing in MN?

Good luck w/ the house search. 160mi? Sounds like a central valley/SF commute...ugh.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #248
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
I am sure you will find everything you need in a house soon. Winter is a good time to buy a house. You will quickly find problems in a house in winter that you are likely to miss in the dry summer months. Plus less people looking to move this time of year.
Thanks. I am hoping I will find something sooner than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Greg, did you notice the break in procedure for the coated Hooker exhaust manifolds? Surprised me as that info wasn't in the sales literature.

Good luck with the home search. Hopefully one with a big shop?
I just ordered them so I haven't got them to open up yet. That is surprising though. I never would have guessed a cast iron manifold would have a break in period.

I am hoping for atleast a decent size garage. the hose market really sucks up here so I have no idea what I will be able to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaboynca View Post
LOL...Is there such a thing in MN?

Good luck w/ the house search. 160mi? Sounds like a central valley/SF commute...ugh.
Hey now, we have a summer and its almost 3 weeks long thank you very much
Old 07-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #249
Root2812

Hey guys, So I am not one to open up new threads just to say a word or two about something off topic so I will say it here and I know the guys who have helped me along the way will read it.

I've been on many forums though the years, motorcycle, car, truck ect but this forum is the gold standard. I really appreciate you guys. Thank You.
I haven't been the type to post unless I have something to say but I use to read the forum every day. Life gets in the way, projects get side tracked, and time on the computer becomes few are farther between. That's where I have been for most of the last year. So much going on. My truck has hardly been touched. I bought my road runner to have a fun driver since I knew my truck was a long ways off. I joined a mopar B body forum and found a community that did not accept anything that wasn't a high HP big block. Often things got kinda rude, like telling me my car was junk because it wasn't a 72 or earlier. Butt for every seat right guys? That forum made me really appreciate the open mindedness and willingness to help on this board.

I sold the road runner and bought the 59 corvette to fulfill a child hood dream. The car has been fun. I decided to join a corvette forum for C1 and C2 cars. Wow... Those guys are a rough bunch. You had better be going concourse or you'll hear it but worst of all they brought politics and name calling into everything. 60+ year old men acting like grade schoolers. Quick example: Weekly joke/meme thread was full of joke making fun of democrats. I don't get into politics but saw a funny meme about Trump. I posted it. Wrong move. After the inbox of hate mail and being told not to post in that thread anymore I was basically ignored. My technical questions were mostly met with smart comments about fake news or whatever. I guess some people really like to rip on others for no reason. I only go there now to browse old tech articles. That further made me appreciate you guys here in the 47-59 section. Cheers to all of you.

About my truck.. Its still sitting as the vette made me poor. I have enjoyed the corvette this year but found that my wife hates it and rightfully so. I spent all our savings on a car that the 3 of us (I have a 3 year old) can't fit in. A really expensive toy only I can enjoy. I though we could all enjoy it but only me and my daughter ever go in it. My kid is always with us so my wife never gets to go. I have lived my childhood dream and after this classic car season I will park it until spring and sell it. That will give me time to finish things on it to maximize my return. I may put it up for sale in the fall just to see. Once it sells, no more spending my play money on other cars to drive. I'll be focusing on getting my 50 going because it seats 3. I had saved $5000 and when I sold my house I took $30k of that to put together and buy the vette. That money should have been in my savings for new house stuff anyway. I've always been too short on cash to work on the truck very fast. Then right when I got money I bought other cars and made myself broke. When the vette sells $30k will go right into out new house we bought and whats left will be for this truck project and will hopefully finish it. I have done a lot to the corvette so I think it should go around $40-45K fairly quickly, more if I wait. That will leave me plenty to get this truck drivable.

Honestly I got myself into this mess. I bought those cars and a 2014 Silverado I didn't need. The 2014 is gone now and replaced with a paid for 1986 K10. Once I get rid of other expensive things I don't need I should be in a much better place.

Bear with me guys. Thanks for sticking with me and thanks for making this forum great.

PS... Photobuckets new rule SUCKS. I see it ruined my thread. I will have to think of what to do.

Last edited by Root2812; 07-19-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #250
iowaboynca

I hear you about other forums...

That's the great thing about this one, I'd like to think we're pretty good about policing ourselves. We all understand that we're trying to put 50+ year old vehicle on the road, so we don't have the time or energy for drama.

Don't beat yourself up too much about the roadrunner or vette. we all gotta have those bucket list vehicles...heck this truck is one of mine! In the meantime follow Martinsr's philosophy and go out to the garage/shop and find something you can tinker on the truck for 5 minutes. I do that a lot and find it quite therapeutic!