The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2024, 01:51 PM   #26
PbFut

Re: 3/4 ton big block with SMOG?

MarkTn: Sorry if I was not clear on the sixer I failed english more than once in my school days. I have never found the skill so my writing is clear to me, but most find it difficult to follow.
Mr Mudd: If your truck is a 3/4 ton then you are likely rocking commercial plates and are smog exempt in Calif.
Another point was that if you purchased a used "Federal smog car", you could register in Calif. but you had to have the correct stickers on the car/truck and the smog inspection tech had to understand it was a Fed smog car. You still had to pass the minimum sniffer test to register. Later on things got tougher when the bi-annual inspections started but a used Federal car was allowed, again as long as the car could pass the sniffer.
Someone mentioned that more of the manual trans cars got pumps, that is because the lifting of the accelerator to shift would lean the A/R ratio and cough out of plug of hydorcarbons. So I think it is possible that some motor tranny combos might have needed a pump even on a federal car. That is a guess on my part. Or maybe it was simply a Cal car moving to another state. There was a time around 1980-1982 when you could not get a manual trans and the 350 motor in Calif. If you wanted a manual, it was a 305 motor in the Corvette, Camaro and Trans Am. Not sure about trucks.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 03:40 PM   #27
mr.mud1

Re: 3/4 ton big block with SMOG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
MarkTn: Sorry if I was not clear on the sixer I failed english more than once in my school days. I have never found the skill so my writing is clear to me, but most find it difficult to follow.
Mr Mudd: If your truck is a 3/4 ton then you are likely rocking commercial plates and are smog exempt in Calif.
Another point was that if you purchased a used "Federal smog car", you could register in Calif. but you had to have the correct stickers on the car/truck and the smog inspection tech had to understand it was a Fed smog car. You still had to pass the minimum sniffer test to register. Later on things got tougher when the bi-annual inspections started but a used Federal car was allowed, again as long as the car could pass the sniffer.
Someone mentioned that more of the manual trans cars got pumps, that is because the lifting of the accelerator to shift would lean the A/R ratio and cough out of plug of hydorcarbons. So I think it is possible that some motor tranny combos might have needed a pump even on a federal car. That is a guess on my part. Or maybe it was simply a Cal car moving to another state. There was a time around 1980-1982 when you could not get a manual trans and the 350 motor in Calif. If you wanted a manual, it was a 305 motor in the Corvette, Camaro and Trans Am. Not sure about trucks.
hi,my truck is a c-20 with a big block,built and sold new in California but now lives in Nova Scotia.it doesn't have commercial plates here cause i don't use it commercially but i think it's GVW is heavy enough for commercial plates if there was a need.heavier trucks and big trucks don't have a choice unless they're RV'S.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote