The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2024, 06:29 PM   #1
PbFut

1972 Wood Grain Inserts

After cleaning up the original door panels, I am moving on to the inserts. They are aluminum, painted with two tones from the factory. A lighter brown under coat. They must have allowed to cure, then over coat with a darker brown. Then wiped to create a wood grain appearance. I was thinking of a vinyl application, but now feel that the raised sections that drop to the corners will not lay flat or lift pretty easy later on. Looking at this, I recall doing some speaker boxes I built as a kid using scrap plywood my dad had laying around. I bought a faux wood paint kit. The results were acceptable but not good enough for something like this. So 55 years later, I am going to attempt a better performance of pretty much similar process using moder paint on metal vs wood. I am thinking flat cans of Krylon or Rustolium and a magic touch of a wet brush followed with a wipe. Any other suggestions?
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote