The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2024, 08:29 PM   #51
KyleSeal

Re: Proportioning Valve Keeps Tripping?

UPDATE 4/3/24

I ordered a new proportioning valve to swap out in case this ends up being an issue - it has solved the brake light issue, but the brakes are only at the bottom of the pedal.

I have ensured a 1/16 clearance to the MC from the booster, and that is proper.

I am in the camp that the MC is bad. That will probably be my next item to replace.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:52 PM   #52
geezer#99

Might be the only thing wrong with the master is it’s bore is too big.
Measure it first.

And did you change your pedal ratio?

Last edited by geezer#99; 04-03-2024 at 09:23 PM.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:09 AM   #53
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Might be the only thing wrong with the master is it’s bore is too big.
Measure it first.

And did you change your pedal ratio?
The bore is 1", I would imagine that isnt a problem given this is a 'kit' set up to work with each other. The pedal ratio was slightly modified, but pushing the pedal in and out, I dont see any issue with the travel.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
Old 04-05-2024, 10:28 AM   #54
KyleSeal

Well, I ordered a new master cylinder last night. After that, Im all out of ideas. We will see!

Old 04-05-2024, 04:05 PM   #55
425HP409
425hp409

Some service manuals said to lightly tap the caliper with a hammer to dislodge any small air bubbles that may be clinging to the caliper wall. This could be your pressure differential problem. This was in the textbook that I used when I taught at a trade school.
64 Bel Air Wagon, 400 Small Block
57 Bel Air all original 283 w/Factory Air
77 GMC Sprint, 454/425HP
67 Olds 442, all original
90 ZR1 Corvette
425HP409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 04:23 PM   #56
Rust_never_sleeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425HP409 View Post
Some service manuals said to lightly tap the caliper with a hammer to dislodge any small air bubbles that may be clinging to the caliper wall. This could be your pressure differential problem. This was in the textbook that I used when I taught at a trade school.
If there's air it's in the rear, and those are drums IIUC.
Could still be air in those wheel cylinders somehow, but I don't know if it can hide the way it might in a caliper.
Old 04-05-2024, 04:27 PM   #57
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425HP409 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust_never_sleeps View Post
If there's air it's in the rear, and those are drums IIUC.
Could still be air in those wheel cylinders somehow, but I don't know if it can hide the way it might in a caliper.
I would consider air in the rear or front but given Ive done so much bleeding (literally gallons), if theres trapped air it at this point is a permanent resident

So my train of thought is this:
My proportioning valve is no longer biasing to the front or rear, which indicates a internal fault in the prop valve.
Given the red brake light no longer persists, but the pedal is far weaker than it should be, I would imagine an issue before the proportioning valve exists, which would indicate the master cylinder or booster has failed.
Hopefully I will be putting this theory to the test here this upcoming week.

Old 04-08-2024, 08:29 PM   #58
KyleSeal

Well, I am at a loss.

I have replaced the master cylinder, and found a broken flare on the master cylinder side for the primaries. New master cylinder, fronts bled great, rears I could hardly get any flow. Not sure why. Verified strong flow at line out of master, prop valve and out of prop valve. At the wheel cylinders, its a slow drip.

Nevertheless, I bled as best I could, still no pedal. I have now replaced all beside the booster, and I dont honestly think the booster is bad because I feel the pedal would be hard, rather than just pure air.

I am pretty seriously beat down now. I may just walk away for a bit after all this effort and time and money to be in the same place.

Old 04-08-2024, 08:52 PM   #59
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSeal View Post
Verified strong flow at line out of master, prop valve and out of prop valve. At the wheel cylinders, its a slow drip.

Dent or obstruction in the hard line from combo valve to rear hose? Or maybe the hose itself or the tee? Sounds crazy.

I know someone said not to blow compressed air through the lines, but that's what I'd do at this point.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:23 PM   #60
RichardJ

>>found a broken flare on the master cylinder side for the primaries.<<

"primaries" ? Explain. The rear piston in the MC is the Primary (singular). The line flair leaked and you replaced the line ?

>>Verified strong flow at line out of master, prop valve and out of prop valve. <<

If you cracked the fittings, pumped the pedal and got fluid out, when you released the pedal it would pull air back into the lines, combo valve and MC. Explain your actual process.

Did you recheck the booster pin-to- MC depth with the new MC ?

What bleeding method are you now using ?

If manual bleeding, I suggest getting a helper and open/close those speed bleeders as though they were regular bleeders. I'm not totally convinced your speed bleeders are acting as they should.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:42 PM   #61
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
>>found a broken flare on the master cylinder side for the primaries.<<

"primaries" ? Explain. The rear piston in the MC is the Primary (singular). The line flair leaked and you replaced the line ?

>>Verified strong flow at line out of master, prop valve and out of prop valve. <<

If you cracked the fittings, pumped the pedal and got fluid out, when you released the pedal it would pull air back into the lines, combo valve and MC. Explain your actual process.

Did you recheck the booster pin-to- MC depth with the new MC ?

What bleeding method are you now using ?

If manual bleeding, I suggest getting a helper and open/close those speed bleeders as though they were regular bleeders. I'm not totally convinced your speed bleeders are acting as they should.
By primaries I was meaning just the master itself. So the front bowl flare on the master casting was busted. I replaced the master and the line to the prop valve to be safe.
I am using a pressure bleeder set to 15-20PSI, so no pedal actuation.
I have checked clearance with a micrometer end and a ruler, and am around the spec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Dent or obstruction in the hard line from combo valve to rear hose? Or maybe the hose itself or the tee? Sounds crazy.

I know someone said not to blow compressed air through the lines, but that's what I'd do at this point.
I checked the lines, no breaks or kinks, I cracked all fittings with the pressure bleeder on it, and have good flow all the way back to the wheel cylinders.

When I crack the rear bleeders, I get a rush of fluid, then it slows and eventually just completely stops. The fronts will rush out and fill a mason jar quick, rears wont even get above 1/4inch of fluid in the mason jar before it stops.

Compressed air will probably be my next step. I just cant believe how many issues I am getting right now. Its insane.

Old 04-08-2024, 11:59 PM   #62
MikeB

I once had a pressure bleeder kit and never could make it work right. But it was great for making a mess!

How about old fashioned manual bleeding? That's where a helper does "pump, pump, pump, hold" and then you open the bleeder screw. Then you close the screw and repeat the process until there are no more bubbles. If you get very little fluid out the wheel cylinders using that method, then I give up.

I've also used a MityVac, which works fine, but as mentioned a couple times in this thread, it will suck in air past the bleeder screw nipple. Makes it look like there's air in the lines when there's not -- or probably not.
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 04-09-2024, 12:11 AM   #63
dmjlambert

Interesting behavior. Brings me back to wondering if the master cylinder has front reservoir for for rear drum brakes and rear reservoir for front disc brakes the way they are typically set up for C20.

As mentioned in this other recent thread by geezer#99 and earlier in this thread by kwmech the master cylinder may have residual pressure valves that are specific for drum or disc, and the residual pressure for drum is greater.

I don't know the confidence level that should be trusted in what the "people who sell these" saying about the design of it. I would want to see the actual specs and would like to have the tools and equipment to do measurements (like for the residual pressure, as if I would know how to measure that). It's hard to put a brake system together and trust that the specs are right. This thing you're going through is mysterious and I wish I had advice to remove the mystery and just determine the facts.

The action I would take is highly biased so you may not find it useful, biased by my preference for manual brakes on a C10. So I'd be putting a manual master cylinder that I know works for disc/drum on the firewall and call it a day. The manual master cylinder has a deeper bore for the push rod. Kit type master cylinders often have a deep bore and an adapter pin that fit in the push rod hole to make it compatible with a booster that requires a shallow push rod hole. I'm sure there's not very much to adapting a deep push rod hole to a shallow one, it's just a small rod of metal. So perhaps one of those manual master cylinders could be adapted for power, or a different power master cylinder that somebody here on the forum can attest to working on a C10 could be used. 71-72 C10 that came from the factory with disc/drum had 1.125 bore regardless of whether they were power or manual, and that has been shown to us by Keith Seymore right from the engineering specs he posted. A MC with 1 inch bore is not to spec for a C10, I'm not saying it won't work, it just reduces my confidence in the people who sell these kits and makes me wonder what the heck. Anyway I ramble, sorry too much rambling, saying bye now and I hope you find the solution.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 04-09-2024 at 12:25 AM. Reason: add url
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:20 AM   #64
dmjlambert

Quote:
I once had a pressure bleeder kit and never could make it work right. But it was great for making a mess!

How about old fashioned manual bleeding? That's where a helper does "pump, pump, pump, hold" and then you open the bleeder screw. Then you close the screw and repeat the process until there are no more bubbles. If you get very little fluid out the wheel cylinders using that method, then I give up.

I've also used a MityVac, which works fine, but as mentioned a couple times in this thread, it will suck in air past the bleeder screw nipple. Makes it look like there's air in the lines when there's not -- or probably not.
I agree with regular manual bleeding is best, it's just simple. I tend to use the one-man method that does not require a helper. It is where you put the hose at the bottom of a jar that has some brake fluid in it, and open the bleeder. Then once that little bit of air is pumped out of the hose by brake pedal action, no more air can be sucked back into the system. Pump the brakes gently and slowly until you mostly fill the jar, and replenish the MC periodically. Then close the bleeder before removing the hose. O'Reilly auto parts have one-man bleeder kits, but it is also OK to just use a coffee can and submerse the end of the hose. If you think you're getting any air past the bleeder threads, you can remove the bleeder and put a little chapstick on the threads, and re-insert the bleeder screw.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:21 AM   #65
MikeB

About master cylinder built-in valves, I cut this from a post on The H.A.M.B.

An easy way to check any dual master is to take a paper clip or similar small diameter object and slowly push it into the output ports. If you feel a spongy resistance, you are pushing against a residual valve. If none are present, the object will easily go into the master bore.

I seriously doubt if yours has a built-in valve or valves. Everything you need is in the combination valve.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:32 AM   #66
dmjlambert

That is interesting information. There's too much general information that's confusing, and not enough actual technical specifications about what is in each component. I understand the factory combination valves don't have residual valves, they just have the shuttle switch, metering valve (for 71 manual brakes they didn't have one, but for other applications they did), and proportioning valve. Who knows what is in the chinese brass block style replacement combination valves. I'm kind of doubting there are residual valves in there. The residual valves would have been in the master cylinder way back when, but there is other information on the internet about modern wheel cylinders not needing residual valves any more and who know the specs on the master cylinders they are selling in parts stores (or anywhere).
Old 04-09-2024, 08:21 AM   #67
geezer#99

Quote:
The bore is 1", I would imagine that isnt a problem given this is a 'kit' set up to work with each other.
Did you measure the bore yourself or just look at a spec sheet?
Old 04-09-2024, 11:02 PM   #68
KyleSeal

Quote:

I tried the two person method tonight, and I got little to no pressure, I tried even punching the pedal to rush fluid - nothing. I have found at the tee on the rear end, one side will not drip any fluid or maybe once when I crack the line open, one side will run like a river. I am thinking I have an issue there. Which is so strange - I had no issue before the master cylinder swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Interesting behavior. Brings me back to wondering if the master cylinder has front reservoir for for rear drum brakes and rear reservoir for front disc brakes the way they are typically set up for C20.

As mentioned in this other recent thread by geezer#99 and earlier in this thread by kwmech the master cylinder may have residual pressure valves that are specific for drum or disc, and the residual pressure for drum is greater.

I don't know the confidence level that should be trusted in what the "people who sell these" saying about the design of it. I would want to see the actual specs and would like to have the tools and equipment to do measurements (like for the residual pressure, as if I would know how to measure that). It's hard to put a brake system together and trust that the specs are right. This thing you're going through is mysterious and I wish I had advice to remove the mystery and just determine the facts.

The action I would take is highly biased so you may not find it useful, biased by my preference for manual brakes on a C10. So I'd be putting a manual master cylinder that I know works for disc/drum on the firewall and call it a day. The manual master cylinder has a deeper bore for the push rod. Kit type master cylinders often have a deep bore and an adapter pin that fit in the push rod hole to make it compatible with a booster that requires a shallow push rod hole. I'm sure there's not very much to adapting a deep push rod hole to a shallow one, it's just a small rod of metal. So perhaps one of those manual master cylinders could be adapted for power, or a different power master cylinder that somebody here on the forum can attest to working on a C10 could be used. 71-72 C10 that came from the factory with disc/drum had 1.125 bore regardless of whether they were power or manual, and that has been shown to us by Keith Seymore right from the engineering specs he posted. A MC with 1 inch bore is not to spec for a C10, I'm not saying it won't work, it just reduces my confidence in the people who sell these kits and makes me wonder what the heck. Anyway I ramble, sorry too much rambling, saying bye now and I hope you find the solution.
Quote:
I agree with regular manual bleeding is best, it's just simple. I tend to use the one-man method that does not require a helper. It is where you put the hose at the bottom of a jar that has some brake fluid in it, and open the bleeder. Then once that little bit of air is pumped out of the hose by brake pedal action, no more air can be sucked back into the system. Pump the brakes gently and slowly until you mostly fill the jar, and replenish the MC periodically. Then close the bleeder before removing the hose. O'Reilly auto parts have one-man bleeder kits, but it is also OK to just use a coffee can and submerse the end of the hose. If you think you're getting any air past the bleeder threads, you can remove the bleeder and put a little chapstick on the threads, and re-insert the bleeder screw.
I am at the point I may end up buying some special brake pressure measuring tools to help determine some of my issues. At this point, I may be disassembling the rear ends brake lines and tee, to check for blockage, if none is present, my next move will be diagnosis with specific tools.
I normally do the one man method, but I cant even get a small amount of fluid from the rear. Its mind boggling. Even punching the pedal does nothing. I figured a pressure rush would at least make it do something, but nothing at all.
Quote:
About master cylinder built-in valves, I cut this from a post on The H.A.M.B.

An easy way to check any dual master is to take a paper clip or similar small diameter object and slowly push it into the output ports. If you feel a spongy resistance, you are pushing against a residual valve. If none are present, the object will easily go into the master bore.

I seriously doubt if yours has a built-in valve or valves. Everything you need is in the combination valve.
I will check this next as well.
Quote:
That is interesting information. There's too much general information that's confusing, and not enough actual technical specifications about what is in each component. I understand the factory combination valves don't have residual valves, they just have the shuttle switch, metering valve (for 71 manual brakes they didn't have one, but for other applications they did), and proportioning valve. Who knows what is in the chinese brass block style replacement combination valves. I'm kind of doubting there are residual valves in there. The residual valves would have been in the master cylinder way back when, but there is other information on the internet about modern wheel cylinders not needing residual valves any more and who know the specs on the master cylinders they are selling in parts stores (or anywhere).
Quote:
Did you measure the bore yourself or just look at a spec sheet?
These measurements are from their spec sheets. I am not versed really in most brake system specifications, more so a general sense, which seems just enough to get me into trouble at this point

Old 04-09-2024, 11:09 PM   #69
KyleSeal

Update;

Still no pressure at the rear wheel cylinders, no amount of two person bleeding nor pressure bleeding really yields me any more fluid than the other.

I have check a few things;
Fittings at master for flow when the pressure bleeder is on - good
Fittings at the proportioning valve when the pressure bleeder is on - good
Fittings at first union when pressure bleeder is on - good (both sides of union)
Fitting at the hard line to soft hose when pressure bleeder is on - good
Fittings at the tee for the rear end distribution when pressure bleeder is on - passenger side - little to no flow -- driver side, good
Fitting at wheel cylinder on passenger side - no flow
I cannot check the fitting at the driver side wheel cylinder as the nut is rounded, but no flow at bleeder. Even removing the bleeder from both sides on the rear end, virtually no fluid comes out.

My only conclusion is I have some incredible blockage here, maybe the soft line failing from being unused for so many years? I really dont know.
I may just buy a new soft line & tee, with new rear hard lines just in case for this weekend when I continue deeper.

Though this is super discouraging, I really want this truck on the road.
and on we go

Old 04-10-2024, 12:07 AM   #70
Dashman

I offered some advice early on and saw that you were getting better advice from others, but I've been following. I had suspected your rear rubber hose, and I couldn't find in your posts if you had replaced it. I'm glad you were able to troubleshoot your brake lines, and thank you for posting on your updates. You're helping some future 67-72 GM truck enthusiast that may have similar issues. The tee can be cleaned unless it's part of the rubber hose. I hope your brake kickass after all that you've had to do.
Dashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 08:33 AM   #71
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
I offered some advice early on and saw that you were getting better advice from others, but I've been following. I had suspected your rear rubber hose, and I couldn't find in your posts if you had replaced it. I'm glad you were able to troubleshoot your brake lines, and thank you for posting on your updates. You're helping some future 67-72 GM truck enthusiast that may have similar issues. The tee can be cleaned unless it's part of the rubber hose. I hope your brake kickass after all that you've had to do.
Thats exactly why Ive been updating with what Ive tried, to (hopefully) when this is fixed (Lord I hope soon) help guide others who may encounter any level of the issue I am running into. I know I use this forum daily for all kinds of stuff. Its an amazing plethora of information. I also own a 54 Bel Air and info on that thing is scarce and spotty compared to these trucks.

I did replace that proportioning valve, and I do believe the old one was faulty and too sensitive, as this new one is more firm in its shuttle bore, the old one could be moved by a paperclip. So that was correct in suspecting there was a fault there.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:55 AM   #72
MikeB

Quote:
Update;

Fittings at the tee for the rear end distribution when pressure bleeder is on - passenger side - little to no flow -- driver side, good.
Well, that's not good. Not anything to fail there, so maybe a blockage of some sort? When I mentioned checking it, I was grasping at straws. Remove it, soak it, and blow it out.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:04 AM   #73
KyleSeal

Quote:
Well, that's not good. Not anything to fail there, so maybe a blockage of some sort? When I mentioned checking it, I was grasping at straws. Remove it, soak it, and blow it out.
I plan to do just that. I find it really weird, especially with 25PSI pushing on it, but we will see!

Old 04-10-2024, 10:09 AM   #74
geezer#99

I think your problem is related to m/c bore and pedal ratio.
Here’s some info for you.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-t...e-system/30895

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/...der-bore-size/
Old 04-16-2024, 10:23 AM   #75
KyleSeal

Quote:
I think your problem is related to m/c bore and pedal ratio.
Here’s some info for you.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-t...e-system/30895

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/...der-bore-size/
I am working towards that now. I will consult those references and some stuff on Wilwoods site and see what I can deduce.