The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
jaros44sr

Re: Blazer top sag / repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampbell View Post
My friend did the foam trick with bad results. He called one day all excited about how well the foam had lifted the sags out of the top. about 2 hours later the tune changed. As the foam starrted to cure the sags returned to the top layer and started to push the bottom (inside) down. He got the bottom back in place by propping it up with 2 x 4's but didn't discover a way to pull the sags out of the top layer before the foam cured. Maybe if wood screws were put in the sags and wired to the ceiling and the bottom layer were propped up first then the foam would fill and hold it all in place but with out some bracing the foam won't
Thanks for the feedback, thought for sure that would work....oh well, maybe a silver lining. If you brace the inner panel to the floor the blow foam could only push the outer panel up

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
BOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Thanks for the feedback, thought for sure that would work....oh well, maybe a silver lining. If you brace the inner panel to the floor the blow foam could only push the outer panel up
No, probably not. With a stanchion in place, you're bracing the inner panel off of the floor and using all of the pressure from the foam to force the top panel up. However, once you remove the support, the pressure will be divided between the top and bottom. The most likely result is that once everything settles, you'll achieve mixed results. The roof probably won't sag as much, but the ceiling will.
1987 Land Cruiser
1990 Chevy K3500 454
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
blazerboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHICA View Post
No, probably not. With a stanchion in place, you're bracing the inner panel off of the floor and using all of the pressure from the foam to force the top panel up. However, once you remove the support, the pressure will be divided between the top and bottom. The most likely result is that once everything settles, you'll achieve mixed results. The roof probably won't sag as much, but the ceiling will.
What about reversing the gravity affect by flipping it upside down while it cured?
blazerboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
NorthernMatthew

I think I might benefit by being able to access that assembly guide.
Thanks a bunch for sharing.
NorthernMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
Tomq

Hi Northern Matthew;
I have this assembly manual,but is somewhat difficult to follow,no consistencies,The portion I would like to find info on is how does a person change out the bottom rail that has the hold-down anchor bolts? Do you have to cut out the entire rail, aluminum I think, then build a steel rail with captured nuts, then resurface the SMC outer layer? I have a good top, just the anchor bolts are rusted from the inside. Thanks for looking,any suggestions!! Tomq
Tomq is offline   Reply With Quote