The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
truckeez

Re: Blazer half cabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSRL View Post
Thanks for the input. I was told that the first mold failed because it was to light. I remember reading that someone had molds here in Nebraska. I have a local manufacturer considering producing them for me, I just hate to eat 10 of them if they in fact decide that 10 is their minimum production number.
They aren't cheap but I'd really like to have on. Is there any interest out there?
You would be "going in DEEP" on a fools errand, the old blazer crowd would LOVE it,,
someone with no sense about this market gets that many made up, and ever one of the old truck guys would sit around watching like vultures for what they all have been waiting for all along, You tumbling on the price to attempt getting some of your loss back,a $450.00 top.
even if you could find a honest shop in that Cut Throat buis --they would want $750 to make them, Seriously you would loose your ass on that.
I would never make anything a customer dosent pay 1/2 down first, period.
truckeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
BSRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckeez View Post
You would be "going in DEEP" on a fools errand, the old blazer crowd would LOVE it,,
someone with no sense about this market gets that many made up, and ever one of the old truck guys would sit around watching like vultures for what they all have been waiting for all along, You tumbling on the price to attempt getting some of your loss back,a $450.00 top.
even if you could find a honest shop in that Cut Throat buis --they would want $750 to make them, Seriously you would loose your ass on that.
I would never make anything a customer dosent pay 1/2 down first, period.
Truckeez, again thanks for the input; point taken! This local manufacturer is very reputable, and the owner is into cars; he produced a rep-pop 59 "vette" that sold a B-J auction a couple of years ago for over $200k. Interestingly enough his rep guessed their charge to produce would be $750.00 give or take so you're right on for cost. Remains to be seen if they're willing to participate and if I hear from "boneyard" about his molds. I'm thinking $1250.00 to $1500.00 would be what they'd cost; your probably right, too many want something for nothing..
BSRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
truckeez

Thumbs down Re: Blazer half cabs

Quote:
Truckeez, again thanks for the input; point taken! This local manufacturer is very reputable, and the owner is into cars; he produced a rep-pop 59 "vette" that sold a B-J auction a couple of years ago for over $200k. Interestingly enough his rep guessed their charge to produce would be $750.00 give or take so you're right on for cost. Remains to be seen if they're willing to participate and if I hear from "boneyard" about his molds. I'm thinking $1250.00 to $1500.00 would be what they'd cost; your probably right, too many want something for nothing..

Its not a go deal -- the crowd .... I wont say they Strive to stay broke but that's a fact of life these days, even if it were-- lowlifes like Bezos have conditioned the brains of his minions that they are entitled to free shipping.
the whole crowd of vendors selling the cheap Chinese sheetmetal--against 125 others selling the same thing.
the institution of Entrepreneur-ship is now basically devoid of the most important detail--the margin.
truckeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
BSRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
One of Boneyards tops, made in Lincoln, Nebraska or there's abouts:
Attachment 1336139
Attachment 1336140
Attachment 1336141
I asked if he could sell me one unassembled, which he did, I'm very pleased with what I got from him. It's from the MTP molds from the '70s, rear window is uncut, and was delivered as an inner and outer skin which I will be having finished locally here in Los Angeles. They are the same molds that most of the original vintage tops in this thread came from. It was packed well in a truly massive crate and we arranged shipping for a reasonable price through Fastenal on empty space on one of their distribution trucks. Everything went smooth and he was a great guy to deal with, I couldn't be happier. The molds, after 40+ years, have a few minor imperfections in them but certainly nothing serious or even something you would notice after just basic paint prep, they come off as minor abrasions in the gel coat, if you textured the top like the originals were, you would have no idea any of these imperfections existed.
Thanks; go info to know.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
BSRL

Quote:
Thanks; go info to know.
Any idea how much $$$ you'll have in the completed top? I be real interested in how the finishing goes.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
BSRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
I got it unfinished so I could do a few mods on it, so my finishing may well cost as much as the top did. I want to do a flush rear window on it, do some sound dampening in between the inner and outer shell, run a conduit for a dome and maybe cargo light, and maybe quick release clamps and maybe a GPS antenna. Although I might do a dome light built into an early Shelby Mustang type roll/style bar which would also be my shoulder belt mount.
Id sure like to see it when your finished, and maybe hear how things worked for you. Thanks!