The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2022, 08:44 PM   #1
SCOTI

Re: Slammed 1966 GMCummins 12v

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim66 View Post
These are manual switches, i have the expensive electric system in my Lincoln and its given me a few problems, enough that i didn't feel the price was worth the pissing around again. i got 2 of these switches from airlift, and the other two from a Flying J truck stop. a good friend of mine who is a trucker said they are just air seat switches from the big rigs. there was a $20 per switch price difference. $30 from the truck stop and $50 from Summit.

i don't have much time on the manual air system so only time will tell, i will post updates all summer.
Exactly. I've been looking for a source but everything goes back to one air-ride vendor or another. I knew they could be found cheaper through other avenues. What I didn't know is what else they would be used for in the trucking industry. I didn't even think about the seats
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:59 AM   #2
slimjim66

yea he claims the lines, push lock fittings, bags and switches can all be purchased through the trucking industry. if i ever do another budget bag build i will look into it further. it would be nice knowing you can source replacement parts everywhere in north America if you ever ran into a problem on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Exactly. I've been looking for a source but everything goes back to one air-ride vendor or another. I knew they could be found cheaper through other avenues. What I didn't know is what else they would be used for in the trucking industry. I didn't even think about the seats
slimjim66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:03 AM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
yea he claims the lines, push lock fittings, bags and switches can all be purchased through the trucking industry. if i ever do another budget bag build i will look into it further. it would be nice knowing you can source replacement parts everywhere in north America if you ever ran into a problem on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I have a little larry touche on my orange truck and I doubt I'd buy another. I could have done the same thing with semi seat switches just like you said. Your friend is correct. Any big truck shop will have a wide assortment of DOT fittings and a lot of them are plastic body with brass threads and are push connect. They usually always stock line and misc bags too.
So I got online last night looking again. Most of the truck paddle switches had barbed fittings for the In/Out vs PTC. The barbed style I have found easily online for around $25ea (Amazon had some for ~$20). The PTC style are harder to find online & typically @ $40 & up (Ridetech; Firestone).

I had a barbed style paddle valve in my possession & tried removing the barb fittings hoping that a PTC fitting could simply replace it. It was a no-go on the one I tried as it basically destroyed the switch trying to remove the barb fittings.

I have just been on the hunt for some to help a guy out where I work that wants to put some air-ride on his truck but he has a super low budget. It seems the PTC style are only available @ the name-brand sources when I've searched. Knowing how other things are 'slightly' marked-up, I was trying to find them from different sources w/o the 'brand' tax. I like the DOT rated PTC as they make service work easy & I just don't feel the barb style fittings are as strong when it comes to holding on to the airline.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-08-2022, 08:17 AM   #4
slimjim66

i hear yea man, the 2 i was given from the flying J were PTC style. ill do some digging to see who's name is attached to them. if i remember correctly there was 3 different styles to choose from. all used the plastic line with either a barb, PTC or a compression ferrule type with drive up nut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
So I got online last night looking again. Most of the truck paddle switches had barbed fittings for the In/Out vs PTC. The barbed style I have found easily online for around $25ea (Amazon had some for ~$20). The PTC style are harder to find online & typically @ $40 & up (Ridetech; Firestone).

I had a barbed style paddle valve in my possession & tried removing the barb fittings hoping that a PTC fitting could simply replace it. It was a no-go on the one I tried as it basically destroyed the switch trying to remove the barb fittings.

I have just been on the hunt for some to help a guy out where I work that wants to put some air-ride on his truck but he has a super low budget. It seems the PTC style are only available @ the name-brand sources when I've searched. Knowing how other things are 'slightly' marked-up, I was trying to find them from different sources w/o the 'brand' tax. I like the DOT rated PTC as they make service work easy & I just don't feel the barb style fittings are as strong when it comes to holding on to the airline.
slimjim66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 10:48 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
i hear yea man, the 2 i was given from the flying J were PTC style. ill do some digging to see who's name is attached to them. if i remember correctly there was 3 different styles to choose from. all used the plastic line with either a barb, PTC or a compression ferrule type with drive up nut.
Flying J was the first source I googled but there was no 'click on' option for individual parts that I could find. More of a 'what we offer' for our customers type info.

Thanks for your efforts though.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG