The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2020, 11:51 PM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Third Alternator

OK, so I went to replace the front bearing in the alternator on my truck. I bought brushes and bearings. Piece of cake to rebuild. But I couldn't get the rotor out of the front frame. So, I went and bought a rebuilt. A couple of months later i went to start the truck and got nothing. The battery tested at 0.0V. Turns out the alternator had a bad hot diode. Exchanged it, and many months later I noticed that the truck was cranking slow after running errands. Check it out, alternator not charging, and it failed some tests, So, I'm on my THIRD replacement alternator in one year. Pretty damned disappointing, to my mind. Anyone else have such bad luck with rebuilt alternators? I guess I'd better try some PB Baster or something to free up the front bearing on the old alternator's front frame. All this for a noisy bearing! I should have just let it grumble.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Third Alternator

Sorry to hear about that streak of bad ones. I wonder if the parts store passed you one or two of them that were customer returns. If you've already swapped the one that wasn't charging to get another from the parts store, I'm hoping that's the last one you'll ever need. I suggest look for a shop with a press who can help you get that one apart so you can replace the bearing. A known good one with only problem being the bearing sounds promising, and that can be your spare.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

Last rebuild alternator I bought was before everything went to China. When I tried to do a 'Budget' upgrade to a 12SI from the stock 10SI, the Made in China AC-Delco parts mostly failed when installed in a $18 yard pull 12SI. The new parts either were bad out of the package or failed in a few days. Wound up ordering a 'Overhaul kit' from Summit that is still working fine. Still made in China stuff but I guess Summit has a better supplier then AC-Delco. Only bad thing is it was a 'one wire' setup and that wasn't mentioned anywhere in the website description.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:16 AM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

I've had a string of lemon Alternators and EVRs. [And Mech Fuel Pumps, And P/S Gearboxes].
I had Lifetime Warranties from Checker Auto, lasted for years, then they sold out to O'Reilly.
O'Reilly's been giving me junk parts. Their better grade parts only have a 3 year warranty. It would cost extra to 'upgrade' to a short-lived part.
I asked at Auto Zone, but they don't carry Delcotons [or EVRs] for a 52 year old truck. They lost the right pigtail to bench test it at the shop.
Been thru about 2X EVRs [external voltage regulators] and as many "Delcotrons'' on both my '68 C/10 and '71 GMC Jimmy.
Getting Pit Crew fast on R&R'ing EVRs and Alts...

Today, we found the gripe on the '68 Stepside -- it was a broken splice in the little plug goes into the back of the Alt. Ran out of daylight to chase an identical No Charge gripe on the Jimmy. Have to get at it later in the week, but I know what to check now.

Problem is, big chain auto parts stores don't respect our vintage vehicles. To them it's just a hobby car, an adult toy. They farm refurbishment out to Mexico or Asia. So the Chinese can get away with making what was called "Counterfeit Parts" in the aviation industry. They fit OK, but fail in service.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-20-2020 at 12:25 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:45 AM   #5
Richard

Went through three alternators in two years in my wife's old car. Remans only available, one from the dealer. (always keep my original regardless of core charge) Finally had the original rebuilt by someone in the sanfernando valley. Still in it many years later. Converted my 94 Chev truck to a cs144. Got a reman from Oreily's and output is no better than stock. Need to take back. New faulty distributor caps etc. Parts seem to be a potluck these days no matter where you get them.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
tdangle

You might want to look around and find a shop that rebuilds alternators, if anyplace like that exists anymore. They would be able to get yours apart and probably last another truck lifetime.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Ooops. I forgot about this thread! I am afraid that I'll crack the drive end frame if I press the rotor out. I have a press. I guess I can try that, and if it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway. I'll look around for another alternator in the meantime. I thought that I had an internally regulated alternator around here, but I don't seem to be able to find it. It was working great, if this one goes south I'll put that one on. I was trying to keep it more original, though. And I still have the brushes and bearings. If I can get the bugger apart, I'll keep it as a spare when I'm done.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 09-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #8
dmjlambert

I wonder if you can support the housing with something, or break apart the bearing. Show us pictures of what you're dealing with and perhaps somebody will have an idea.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

OK, I was going to put the nut on the rotor and the threads somehow got boogered. That's one iron that won't be in the fire anytime soon. I have a working alternator now, so I'll deal with this one someday.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 09-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #10
Warrens69GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I asked at Auto Zone, but they don't carry Delcotons [or EVRs] for a 52 year old truck. They lost the right pigtail to bench test it at the shop.
Tell me more.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:18 PM   #11
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Tell me more.
What's to tell. They field tested the charging system in the parking lot and said it was my EVR. I'd just gotten a reman Alt from O'Reilly's across the street and I wanted a 2nd opinion on the unit since it was out of the truck. The associate looked in the bins and drawers on his test machine and one for a 10 SI [Delcotron using EVR] was not present. At this same store last year, I had to show the guy how to test an HEI Module on his tester. He jokingly said if I could figure out how to test the Module, they'd hire me. But I don't want to work for an auto parts store. Similiarly, the guys at ORAP said I was in the store so often, they should give me a green shirt. I said ''Why don't I sling a hammock in the back -- between parts shelves -- and then whenever I need a part, I can just hop down."

I've been dealing with identical gripes on both a '68 C/10 w/292 and a '71 GMC K/1500 Jimmy w/350.
An open connector [Field] on the lines of the plug into the back of the Delcoton from a broken solder joint was the gremlin on the '68. I still get a Red Generator light when I pull the key out, though. Not sure about that. I disconnect the Batt Neg terminal when I park it.
On the '71 Jimmy, I haven't had time to diagnose. Work got in the way.

Warren, didn't I buy a 292 core from you when you worked for Checker on Prince?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-26-2020 at 10:30 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:48 PM   #12
Warrens69GMC

Yes.

The part numbers you need are Dl7122 and VR715, If they can't or won't test it - the numbers for the SM and above are on the front window. You will get them to test at least the alternator off of the vehicle. They can't test the EVR unless its on the car/truck.

And you can ask me about the test systems at both stores.

If you need me to test it, I will.

Last edited by Warrens69GMC; 09-26-2020 at 11:05 PM.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote