The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2020, 09:50 PM   #1
truckster

Ever broken a favorite tool?

Today I was building a shed and had to massage some plastic pieces into their proper place. I was using my Leatherman Wave's blade in a way it wasn't designed to work, and it cracked. It's still under warranty, but I was sad because it's the one I carried in Iraq. I wrote to Leatherman and let them know that, so I hope they'll refurbish mine instead of offering me an exchange.

My son was laughing at me all afternoon, because every couple of minutes I was reaching back to my hip to grab the Leatherman that wasn't there. My son said I had phantom limb syndrome...
Old 05-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Ever broken a favorite tool?

-
I dropped the Leatherman that I carried all the time I was on the fire department and broke one of the jaws off of it. I had it so long that it had been discontinued and they had to replace it. They sent the new one and my old one back. I had a friend tig weld the jaw back on it so I could put it in the display case with the rest of my FD Relics. I had dropped it many times before but this time I was straddling the window sill on the 4th floor of the training tower....

I hope you get your original one back.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Maybe they'll fix you up...and thanks for your service..!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:19 PM   #4
Ironhorse

Not really a broken tool story but I did kind of wear one out. Many years ago in 1966 when I was a Junior in High School my best HS bud's Dad gave he and I both new Case "Folding Hunter" double bladed folding knives. About a 5 1/4'' blade for both blades. I carried that thing constantly, using it so many times but never abusing it. After many, many years of a lot of use the pins holding the blades and the end caps were worn and loose. The Walnut handle was worn badly from many years of being carried in a leather belt case or holster. I contacted the Case Knife Co. , told them of the worn condition and they advised me to send it to them for inspection and possible repair. Doing so I was wondering what sort of $$ I was looking at but wanted the knife refurbished. To my surprise when I received the knife back it had new pins, polished end caps, blades were tight again, polished and sharpened to a razor lie edge and new Walnut wooden handles. NO CHARGE at all! A letter from the company explained (at that time) ALL Case knives carried a LIFETIME no questions asked warranty. Now that is customer service. I still have the knife but rarely carry it any more. Too much sentimental value. One of my three boys will wind up with it I guess.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:06 PM   #5
yuccales

Not a favorite tool, but a MUCH used tool in my shop. My Dayton magnifying lamp on my workbench. I over tightened the aluminum clamp and snapped it in half. Not happy with myself. "Never throw anything away" my dad used to say. Good quick fix!
Attached Images

yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:06 PM   #6
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I have a Roberts tack hammer I use for carpet installations that I wore the wood handle off.
The hammer is metal with wood riveted to it. I’ve had it for 25 years or more.
I bought the last hammer of its kind about 10 years ago. They don’t make them anymore, like other tools I use for work. Most installers that see it ask me what I use it for.
I see if I can find the old hammer and post a picture.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:34 PM   #7
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Must...keep..it...family...friendly. Lol

I HAD a fixed blade knife I absolutely loved for Field dressing deer. Last fall I was splitting the breast bone and my knife snapped. Yes, I broke it. Stupid move on my part.

Two days later I hit up my SnapOn guy for warranty on it. No longer available. Grrrrr

That turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Now I have a new system. No gutting or splitting a rib cage open. I quarter it out right there one side at a time and put it on ice. Now I use a pair of boning knives, one a 5" folder and the other a semi-rigid 6" fixed.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:35 AM   #8
67C10Step

Left my EDC Kershaw Leek (made in USA!) in my pocket and it opened up in the washer. Broke the tip off the blade. Kershaw replaced the blade for $10 and I was tickled.

Have my dad's old Case and sent it in for evaluation. Unfortunately, it was not repairable as they did not have the parts for it any longer. Back in the heirloom box.

Did not break it but I discovered my dremel tool would not work any longer. Have had that sucker about 20 years and sometimes it was just what I needed.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
truckster

I heard back from Leatherman and they'll fix my Wave, so I'm shipping it off to them today. But I use the thing so much I couldn't be without it for 3-4 weeks they say it will take to turn it around, so I bought another one that should arrive in a few days. I have plenty of children to pass my tools on to, so it won't go to waste.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #10
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Hammer on the left is the old hammer.
Probably not my favorite tool, but it’s one that I use most at work.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2020, 08:40 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Nothing wrong with that hammer! Find yourself a knife-making buddy and he'll re-scale it for you.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #12
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Nothing wrong with that hammer! Find yourself a knife-making buddy and he'll re-scale it for you.
I thought about that but, I don’t know anyone that does that kind of thing. I could grind off the brass rivets and be good to go. I’ll get another 20 years use out of the other hammer.

Last edited by kingsolver72; 05-05-2020 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #13
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
I thought about that but, I don’t know anyone that does that kind of thing. I could grind off the brass rivets and be good to go. I’ll get another 20 years use out of the other hammer.
I'd bet you have a blade smith in your area or one that you could ship that hammer to for a re-scale. Way too cool to not refurbish it.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #14
Troy Sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
It will Hammer!!!!