The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #1
1tuff71

performance brakes

ok guys I'm thinking of going to a brake rotor/caliper upgrade on my 71 Blazer. has any one swapped to a wilwood or any other aftermarket set up you could suggest. I want to keep my current wheel/tire set up without any changes. thanks
Old 09-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: performance brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuff71 View Post
ok guys I'm thinking of going to a brake rotor/caliper upgrade on my 71 Blazer. has any one swapped to a wilwood or any other aftermarket set up you could suggest. I want to keep my current wheel/tire set up without any changes. thanks
What is your current wheel/tire set-up? That info could help you get more accurate/specific answers.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
1tuff71

sorry. I am running 38" tires on 15x12 wheels and 9"of lift. I'd like to run a set of wilwood or ssbc rotors and dual piston calipers. stopping this beast is not ideal with the stock set up so looking to get some help with an up grade. thanks for any ideas or thoughts.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:03 PM   #4
Richard

Maybe consider going to hydro boost brakes. Will increase clamping force of your stock components. The aftermarket big brake and rotor set ups are great and definitely improve braking performance. The caveat with most though is you are tied to their rotors and pads. Brake job cost and parts availability is much better with stock parts. Knew a guy with a super nice Camaro and a Brembo kit. Even with normal driving required a brake job every 15-20k. If you want the aftermarket big brakes for looks as well. That is as good a reason as any to switch.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Maybe consider going to hydro boost brakes. Will increase clamping force of your stock components. The aftermarket big brake and rotor set ups are great and definitely improve braking performance. The caveat with most though is you are tied to their rotors and pads. Brake job cost and parts availability is much better with stock parts. Knew a guy with a super nice Camaro and a Brembo kit. Even with normal driving required a brake job every 15-20k. If you want the aftermarket big brakes for looks as well. That is as good a reason as any to switch.
x2. Hydra-boost, 4-wheel discs (that fit within the 15" barrels), & the best pad material you can get for your application. Off the shelf brake pads are for stock stuff... You need pads from a manufacturer that offers more aggressive compounds.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

If you get the brackets you can use C10 front calipers on the rear with 11.75x1.25 rotors. Or 68 Corvette front rotor hats if your running 5 lugs. Or maybe you can redrill them too.

Also a larger bore master cylinder is a cheap alternative to hydroboost.

But honestly with 38's I would be looking at doing a 8 lug swap with 16" or larger rims. Because 15" rims really limit the possibilities of cheap readily available factory options. Plus they will last longer then more over worked 1/2 ton options.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #7
tallwelder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuff71 View Post
I just received this email today, apparently this is new.? Wilwood has dropped spindles and front brakes to fit. I believe they have had rear brakes for Our trucks for quite some time.

https://www.wilwood.com/Media/Brakin...eid=00f0fc090d
tallwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #8
1tuff71

thanks guys.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
1tuff71

thanks for the info guys. very helpful