The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
nikwho

No spark after over heating?

Hello all,
So, my 18 year old son moved down to Tempe, in the Phoenix area. He went down to live with his sister and go to school and work down in the valley. So, it's hotter than sin down there! A week or so ago, he calls me to report that his old car had been overheating. He says (I tend to believe him) that he was up on all fluids. I sent him with a three gauge set, including oil pressure, water temperature and volt meter. Anyhow, he called me to say that his car overheated and stopped running on the freeway. He coasted down an off ramp and called a tow truck. When he moved, we purchased an AAA membership for him, for just such an occasion. So, he had the car towed home. He reported that it didn't have spark. Its hard to diagnose without being able to physically get my hands on the car, to diagnose. My son is pretty mechanically inclined, though.

So, this vehicle is a 1968 Ford Fairlane (sorry!), but the basics are essentially same-same. His coil is mounted on top of the intake manifold. My first thought was that the coil may have gotten too hot and failed. I had him swap out the coil, with no change. So, instead of throwing parts on it, I figured that I'd pose the question here, to you intelligent folks!

So, he may be looking at additional issues, due to having over heated, but, I wanted to help guide him through getting the car at least started, to see where we are. So, being a pretty simple system that sends electricity to the coil, and spark to the plus. What jumps out at you guys, as to a potential cause of it losing spark?

Thanks for any help!

Nik
Old 09-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: No spark after over heating?

Check coil power wire for voltage with ignition switch in run.
If points setup, possible the condenser went bad from the heat.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote