The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
cbtoolkit

Angry wiring diagram 89 suburban 1500 / 350

I have a Chilton's manual for the chevy trucks fitting my year but am wondering if someone has the specific diagram for an 89 Suburban, 1500 350 engine.

I've spent most of the day troubleshooting a short. Everytime I turn on the headlamps, the 20 amp fuse for the courtesy lights goes - bang! Well, more of a pop, actually.

The headlights work, the blinkers work, the hazards barely work, the running lights and brake lights do not work.

I am new to any type of car repair (successfully diagnosed and replaced a vacuum boosters but this has me very frustrated). Just got a multi-meter and read up on diagnostics but..lets just say I may be happy when I solve this or I may be not so happy - just relieved.

Thanks,
Matt Moran
e - mail
my first initial plus my last name at cbtoolkit.com
cbtoolkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 04:37 PM   #2
lovetorev

I had the exact same experience on a 68 Chevy pickup a few months back. I replaced the head light switch, floor hi/lo switch, checked all my bulbs and still couldn't find it. Then I climbed under my truck and found some old wiring were someone had tried to "splice" trailer lights into the factory brake light wiring. Needless to say they didn't tape the wires very well and they were shorting out against the frame. Don't know if it will be your problem but may be a place to look.
lovetorev is offline   Reply With Quote