The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #51
69long"n"low

Re: Future is looking grim. Went to a late model show

Its just that "common sence isnt so common any more" i forget who said it but it kinda applies. I do like the heat that these kinda guy take instead of me, my truck isnt exactly quiet but ive never been pulled over or even looked at by the cops.... I also drive slow.

Im not white trash, I'm one step above that..... more like white clutter
69long"n"low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #52
isdeleon

interesting thread and opinions
Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #53
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

It was a burnout contest people, of course your going to tear stuff up and thats a risk you are willing to take by entering.

I have been building cars since I was little and am 25 now and each car has been built for a specific purpose.

My 67 Camaro-Drag Car
MY 68 Camaro RS/SS-Restored
My 69 C10- 450hp Bodydropped dragger
My 01 Camaro SS- 10 second street car
My 98 Chevy SWB- Slammed on 20's hauler/daily driver.

All of these were built with purpose and will be used for that purpose. I build cars to drive enjoy and yes tear up. Noone else pays for my cars and I enjoy them more because of that.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #54
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

It's been said already, but it bears repeating: people who don't have blood, sweat and tears in their projects don't (generaly) care if they rag them out.

Last summer the missus and I were up at Tim's (special k) We all went to Jimmy cones where they were having a cruise in.

Some Yutz in a beautiful Yenko Nova just had to have everyone's attention as he left by stabing the throttle and bouncing the front end (in the croud in the parking lot) as he went.

If I had that gorgeuos machine I would treat it almost as gently as I treat the missus.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:39 AM   #55
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

well ive ben around alot of mini truckers that are cool as hell. then some that i wouldnt walk across the street to pour water on them if they were on fire. same with imports. personaly i cant stand them, hate the stupid mufflers, but look out, because there are some of them out there that look bad, but are fast as hell... i used to go through alot of tires when i was 16 or so, but i worked for every used set of tires i got. usually one set a week, used to do bunr out contests in parking lots... used to drag from light to light. and nothign better than whipping up on some kid whose parents gave them the car or they were in daddies car.. even better when they laughed at my ol rusted out chevelle.. they were not laughing by the time the crossed the intersections.... chevelle was in my early 20's.. i will be 39 this year.. have i slowed down.. yes, i dont think ive spun a tire in years, cant hardly afford to pay the bills, let alone buy tires all the time, plus anythign else that gets tore up.. i miss the old days...

but basicly there are good and bad in every crowd.. as for the guy who has the 100k ride, more power to him, if you got the money use it, now if he bought it i could care less, if he built it, i think its great.. still hate those big mufflers though...nothign better than some cherry bombs, or even some piano wire in the end of the exhaust pipes..lol
Old 05-31-2008, 09:49 AM   #56
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

After reading through this thread again, I think we've strayed a bit from the point. This is a great read, but one thing stuck out in my mind when I read it again. "Went to a late model show" I think most people that drive classics treat their rides a little differently than people with newer model rides. I know that I will definitely treat my '67 with much more care than I ever will my '99. Just my .02

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #57
Chevyholic
Will it run today?

The funny thing is, every generation goes through this. My grandparents used to tell me stories about how worried they used to be by all of the pothead hippies during the 60's and how they were in to all of that crazy psychedelic stuff. My great-grandparents told me stories about my grandparents and how they were into faster music and faster cars and couldn't see the practicality in all of the modern influences.

Luckily, I even knew my great-great grandparents and remember them talking about all of the nonsense my great grandparents were doing.

The more things change, the more things stay the same.

The bottom line is, most everyone wants to succeed at life. To succeed, you must eventually mature, take on more responsibility and thus settle down. This generation, like all of the others, will eventually be faced with this reality. My parents were scared to death of my generation, but realized when I got married, had kids, and got a good job, that things eventually work out.

Let them have their fun, they'll learn and move on.

Happy Friday!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 05:44 PM   #58
jkaylor68gmc

that is very true, classic truckers are a bit more tamer, spin the tires here and there, drive them but don't abuse them. Rock chips and scratches and paint problems from mialage are braggin rights. Blowing the tires off them and getting on top of them and river dancing is not.
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 7-inch lift on 35 Daily driver
2016 Chevy Tahoe Better halves ride
jkaylor68gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #59
jkaylor68gmc

Example:

Name:  burnout.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  mini.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  27.9 KB
Old 05-31-2008, 06:35 PM   #60
rustSpot
*NO REGRETS*

Opinions, opinions. We all know the saying. Why worry about what other people do anyway? If you don't like these particular shows stay away from them. Im a minitrucker, always have been, always will be. At the same time I love classics and will always build classics. Minitruckin is a lifestyle and no most of you on this forum won't understand. Not all of us tear our vehicles up and yes the majority do build their own trucks. I would say less then 5% of the minitruck scenes vehicles are paid for by mom and dad. At the same time, if your son or daughter wanted a 67 chevy would you buy it for them? Probably! If you could afford it and they deserved it. Would the world come to an end if they were at the local hangout and did a two minute burnout? No, these are lifes experiences. We all go through different stages in our lives and grow in different ways. My passion is 67-72TRUCKS and obviosuly the reader of this has a similar passion. We all have different ideas of what is cool or what we would do. Let people be.

I also read on another forum of a accident where a drag car was doing a burnout and ran into the crowd killing several people. It was asked if this was where the future of hot rodding was headed? Everyone has opinions....
rustSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:38 PM   #61
jkaylor68gmc

O.K. and we are sharing our opinions.

We are sharing them.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:19 AM   #62
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMC454 View Post

but basicly there are good and bad in every crowd.. as for the guy who has the 100k ride, more power to him, if you got the money use it, now if he bought it i could care less, if he built it, i think its great.. still hate those big mufflers though...nothign better than some cherry bombs, or even some piano wire in the end of the exhaust pipes..lol

The piano wire thing is definitely an old one that has been forgotten. I learned that from my Father and his Harley. The fishtail tips made a good spot to criss-cross the wires and get a tight fit. Those things can take out a store front window---seen it done---sweet sound with the tirhgt wores picked.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #63
hewlett2002000

what people do with there vehicles is there own business. the only thing i hate to see is people tearing up classics of any kind. these old vehicles are getting more and more rare. ive said many times that if somebody came up to my house and offered me a million bucks for my 66 i would turn them down, because not only am i attached to my old truck, i dont want to see it wrecked, torn up, crushed, parted out, or entered in a burnout contest. now as far as rice burners go, i hope every last one is entered in a burnout contest whenever i make some progress on my truck and take a step back, i get that warm fuzzy feeling and say to myself "i did that". then i normally go take some meds cause im hurting from that drive shaft that fell on my head!! lol it doesent matter what you drive, if you dident work for it, its not really yours. just my opinion.
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #64
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean71 View Post
When mommy and daddy pay for your stuff, it's easy not to give a sh!t. 99% of the people doing that crap didn't pay for or do the work on their rigs. It means a lot more when it's your own blood sweat and tears that went into building it.
You got that right, the a-holes at my school have been messing with mine the first time was when the spare tire was in the front seat. The second was my gascap was in the tail pipe and fishing string around the doorhandle attached to a handle thats on the side of the cab. I told the resource officer and the principle. I have to work for a living unlike 80-90% of kids that drive to school that have brand new rides while I drive a old vehicle. At least I don't need an inspection sticker, actually paid for, easy peasy repairs, low tax, cheap insurance. I love the ol' gas hawg. If I restore it in the future it will be worth it and then I can go to car shows. I like to cruise with stereo wide open or nice and low to hear those straight pipes with a decent rumble.

Classics make it possible!

Last edited by 70' GMC; 06-02-2008 at 09:23 AM.
70' GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #65
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70' GMC View Post
You got that right, the a-holes at my school have been messing with mine the first time was when the spare tire was in the front seat. The second was my gascap was in the tail pipe and fishing string around the doorhandle attached to a handle thats on the side of the cab. I told the resource officer and the principle. I have to work for a living unlike 80-90% of kids that drive to school that have brand new rides while I drive a old vehicle. At least I don't need an inspection sticker, actually paid for, easy peasy repairs, low tax, cheap insurance. I love the ol' gas hawg. If I restore it in the future it will be worth it and then I can go to car shows. I like to cruise with stereo wide open or nice and low to hear those straight pipes with a decent rumble.
You have had the opportunity to see the world as it truely is, right there in your school. Those that are doing the things to your vehicle are either desirous of your status or frightened by the fact that you are independent and they are not. They cover it by getting others involved and working to dispell their fears under a guise of being foolhardy, but you have them right where you want them. Do not even want to be like them, they will never really change (years later at class reunions, you will see that). It is good that you have figured out that the older is better. They do deserve a
'Bite Me" every now and then, but just laugh openly at them and they will become more confused and more misguided.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #66
Shane
Account Suspended

today's kids are no different than yesterday's kids ... they just waste more money
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #67
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean71 View Post
When mommy and daddy pay for your stuff, it's easy not to give a sh!t. 99% of the people doing that crap didn't pay for or do the work on their rigs. It means a lot more when it's your own blood sweat and tears that went into building it.

that is the entire reason right there... most of these kids did not do a thing to their trucks themselves. Even if it is their own money that went towards the stuff, they still do not understand the work that goes into it and think that money can fix all problems...
the real problem comes in when I see guys my age (30) and older that still have that exact problem and still treat their stuff that same way.
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #68
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

Last year it took a careless and wreckless ticket and some pole fighting with the ol truck. To show me that I needed to grow up. Like right now my aunt is making me pay for my own things such as insurance and other bills. So if I tear it up I will be the one fixing it out of my pocket.
My insurance is: 147.36 month
house phone with dsl: 84.00 month
GAS: 200-250 a month
food no eating out: 50.00
cellphone: 78.00 a month

Im going to see if I cut the house phone bill and just get very basic stuff like no long distance and caller ID and keep my dsl.

The childish kids need to get a job and get their own stuff and maybe they will appreciate it. I clear a little over 10,000 a year. I don't have money right now for a "NEW" vehicle cause if you get the rag the value will drop and the parts for it are very expensive. Like for example the computer quits in it, the computer costs more than that new vehicle.

Last edited by 70' GMC; 06-03-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #69
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
You have had the opportunity to see the world as it truely is, right there in your school. Those that are doing the things to your vehicle are either desirous of your status or frightened by the fact that you are independent and they are not. They cover it by getting others involved and working to dispell their fears under a guise of being foolhardy, but you have them right where you want them. Do not even want to be like them, they will never really change (years later at class reunions, you will see that). It is good that you have figured out that the older is better. They do deserve a
'Bite Me" every now and then, but just laugh openly at them and they will become more confused and more misguided.
There is wanna be rednecks at my school with their wittle z71s with them loud pipes that have a pop sound to it. If I did that the cops would be on me like white on rice. Oh I forgot they got mommy and daddys money and the parents are dumb enough to get them out of trouble and then they go right back and do it again.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:17 AM   #70
AceX
>130dB Moderator

I understand the loud music as I'm the worst of the worst when it comes to that. When someone pulls up to me in traffic thinking their system is hot, I put them in their place.

The rest of it, I'm lost on, but then again, I was raised by old skool hot rodders...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:30 AM   #71
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I built it so I reserve the right to break it!! Speed and new tires!!