The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
GW72C20

Time to re-rebuild the 72 C20

New to the site, not new to forums so I'll jump right to it. Got this truck from my uncle when I was 15. He was the original owner and brought it to Oklahoma from California. Yup, no rust. He gave it to me if I promised to fix it up and of course I said yes. My dream vehicle was a 72 chevy. A few of the HS kids had em and traded them amongst each other and I always said I'd get one someday. Happened sooner than I thought.

Anyway, I've had several trucks that I've tinkered with and sold/traded but this one is sentimental obviously. I drove it through HS and college and then parked it. I've decided it's time to do a real build on it. Back in high school all I did was paint (same paint code GM used for all new vehicles in 1997), wheels n tires, and interior. Still has original motor in it, I got it with 70k miles on it. We added power steering back in the day and that's it. Not sure if I'm rebuilding it or doin an LS swap or what.

Pics of truck when I still DD it (Looks exact same now, just a few knicks and whatnot from some barn time):

The newer tailgate piece was an afterthought I threw on in college. Found it at a salvage and they gave it to me. I shake my head every time I see it now. The letters are painted black underneath it. And yeah I know the badges are wrong, I just liked the Cheyenne Super badges at the time over the original ones. The old man took me to Kenny's and I ended up with them and some other stuff for the interior that day.

So, plans are to start tearing it down and see how far I go. I'll end up painting it all one color again and this time paint the inside as we didn't want to tackle that back then. Probably get rid of the rake, new wheels n tires, motor, etc. I doubt it'll be as amazing as some of the rides I've seen here browsing around but it should be fun anyway. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Since everyone loves pics here are a couple of the old man's 72 we bought for $200. Motor was locked up so we threw in a Goodwrench 350 we had layin around.

My brother's 70 that was given to him by our Grandpa. Dad used to take Mom out in dates in this truck years ago. Grandpa turned it in to a feed truck which is how I always remembered it. I learned to drive in it actually. I bet it had 5 or more motors in it till my brother got a hold of it.

Don't mind the trailer park, that's where my brothers and I lived in Stillwater when we were in college.
GW72C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
ZUBZ

Re: Time to re-rebuild the 72 C20

Man you guys have some awesome trucks in the family.....
ZUBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
GW72C20

Thanks man! Might be adding a 72 swb from Texas to the collection soon. I'll know more in a week or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
ZUBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW72C20 View Post
Thanks man! Might be adding a 72 swb from Texas to the collection soon. I'll know more in a week or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Super, post some pics of the new truck and also progress on the build of your truck....
Old 07-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
GW72C20

Recent pic of the 70:

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
ZUBZ

Quote:
Recent pic of the 70:

Posted via Mobile Device
sweet man, can you please post a pic of the front of the 70. I also have a 70 and want to see how the polished grill and bumper looks...
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
GW72C20

Sure, I texted him to send a pic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
ZUBZ

Quote: