The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
meansting04

Exclamation Motor noise from front??? (kinda long)

Well the other day i was setting in a new dist. and doing timming and i notice a pretty loud noise from the front of the motor. I got a pipe and listened on the valve covers, oilpan, and intake and can not hear it. I put the pipe on the timing chain cover and i can hear it perfectly. So is my chain bad? Could it be the fuel pump push rod? The noise is not realy rythmic, and doesn't get louder or quiter with rpm. It just stays the same until the mufflers drowned it out. Motor doesn't leak so i really don't want to pull the cover it don't have to. Was running fine for about a year now, just started out of the blue. Timing holds steady at 10 deg. intial and advances smoth. The cam is not a roller. Its almost like something is hitting the front cover but you can't feel it with your hand on the cover. Any ideas??? Its on a 355 sbc with around 10k or less on the motor. Oil press is good 55 pis and idle and it doesn't get above 170 deg. Power is still good and its starts fine, runs, and drives great.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
60ratrod
yes, i do

Re: Motor noise from front??? (kinda long)

what kinda noise is it? a banging? rattling? knocking?
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
shadetree

I've had that same noise symptom from a weak/broken return spring inside the mechanical fuel pump. My cure was to replace the fuel pump.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
70rs/ss

Timing chains stretch and it could be that, but shocked it doesn't change with rpm?? I wonder if it is the balancer rubbing on the cover or pointer, or fuel pump related? A new parts store pump is only like $20, but before you do that, put the pipe on the fuel pump, if the noise is loud swap the pump. If it isn't any of those parts, the cover may need to come off, which is kind of a PIA due to the fact that the oil pan needs to come off as well, just plan an oil pan gasket swap to a 1 peice seal, new timing cover gasket, balancer seal and have a new timing set as well, then you'll be ready to "fix" anything that could cause an issue.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Tony

The noise isn't described too well but it could be a loose damper or the pulley bolted to the damper is loose?
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
meansting04

Thanks for all of the help. Took all the belts off and putt them on one at a time and found my power steering pump is the culprit. I have almost a 1/2 inch of play at the pulley. Looks like its time for a new pump. Missed it the first time cause i put all the belts on and off together. Somehow it transmits to the timming cover. I guess by the brackets i run. No belt on the pump no noise. Thnaks for all of the ideas though.