The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
Techx

Complete ignition kit

I bought a '72 c10 and I've been rebuilding it myself for 3 years a little at a time. When I get over over my head I take it to a local guy that tells me I'm still not mechanic laughs and helps me out. This time however I want to be on the front end of this to make a good decision, but I just don't have enough knowledge of ignitions yet. So I'm asking for some help.
So here we go, I have a small block 350 that I am having rebuilt by a local machinist. I told him that I would like to get 350 hp out of the motor. He asked me how much I had to spend I told him $2k and he said that would not be a problem if I also upgraded my fuel pump and my ignition. I was looking at buying a MSD BLACK CHEVY V8 PRO-BILLET DISTRIBUTOR WITH VACUUM ADVANCE part#83613, MSD 6AL-2 IGNITION CONTROL-BLACK part#64213, and MSD BLASTER SS COIL part#8207, but then I saw the CHEVY V8 W/INTERNAL MODULE DISTRIBUTOR part#8360. Part# 8360 says I would also need a coil, but no external ignition.
I'm slowly making this my daily driver, but I still like spinning tires on the weekends. What parts are for what? What do I need? What do you suggest?
Techx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Complete ignition kit

For a mild motor I'd just get a cheap hei.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-BBC-CHEV...xWEd-6&vxp=mtr

What carb are you gonna use?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
davepl

My motor makes 330 and I run a bone-stock distributor and coil, but upgraded with a Pertronix Igniter III module inside that replaces the points. I don't recall if it does capacitive discharge, but they claim it's like a little ignition box that goes right inside the distributor. They claim it puts out 5X the spark energy of points. And it does multiple spark discharge through the entire RPM range as well.

If you have a known good distributor and coil, that's what I'd do, and you'd save a good chunk of money that you can spend on other parts! If you didn't, I'd buy a distributor from Pertronix with the module already installed. You could also get a GM HEI (not Chinese junk) and upgrade the spark module. The GM units are solid until about 5000rpm and much more when the module is upgraded.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
Techx

I'm running an Eddelbrock 1406 right now. So why is everyone saying I need to upgrade my distributor and add an ignition box?
Techx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:34 PM   #5
Grumpy old man

Their probably the same guys who want to sell you a new distributor , a stock distributor is all you need for 350 HP ,Save your money

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #6
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techx View Post
I'm running an Eddelbrock 1406 right now. So why is everyone saying I need to upgrade my distributor and add an ignition box?
Don't get any upgraded fuel pump other than an edelbrock one rated at 5.5 psi.
Eddy carbs don't like more than that for fuel pressure. A fuel regulator is even better.
Like this.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...2518/overview/
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:37 AM   #7
dflarsen77

If you end up getting a distributor, people have said great stuff about Skip White units. They're cheap, but it's not the e-bay type of roll the dice stuff. I bought a rebuild kit for my HEI unit my truck came with, but I hadn't heard about his before.

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...px?Item=6500BK
Old 08-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #8
JustToxic

For that amount of hp's I'd recommend a stock replacement HEI, Like a MSD HEI or an ACCEL HEI, both have performance upgrades and you can find most the parts for them at almost every part store in america. The disturbers your looking at are really for high RPM and hp engines. Unless your wanting to turn more then 6500 rpm's an HEI is a better investment.
JustToxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #9
jocko

You'll need to answer this basic question: do you want it to look stock?
YES: Pertronix module and coil
DON'T CARE: stock HEI
Agree with above comments, save your $ - just eliminate the points. A pro-billet ANYthing is not worth the $ in my opinion. You'd just be paying extra for some guy to have spent a lot of time machining and polishing a part to make it work exactly like the original. The $ should be spent on the guts, if anything, not the finish.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
ryanv70c10

I have never cared for HEI until I bought my 70 C10. It has an HEI that looks about 100 years old on it. Wires also look 100 years old. That motor fires up instantly every time and runs dead smooth.

I say go with an HEI and keep it simple.
ryanv70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote