The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
Rig7

1969 turn signals

Had to wire a new ignition switch in my 69 GMC C1500 and now my right turn signal in the dash does not light up or blink. But turn signals out side blink and work fine. Any suggestions?
Rig7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: 1969 turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig7 View Post
Had to wire a new ignition switch in my 69 GMC C1500 and now my right turn signal in the dash does not light up or blink. But turn signals out side blink and work fine. Any suggestions?
The dash blinker lights are powered by two small blue wires either on the steering column connector for the turn signal switch or at the firewall block behind the fuse panel. They are a direct connection with the left and right front turn signal light wires so that when the L or R signal is selected these two wires are powered and the light in the dash cluster should blink.

See the red arrow in the upper right or the tan arrow in the lower left square. One of the blue wires goes out to the front turn lights and the other blue goes to the dash cluster to the cluster plug.

Name:  cab 3,jpg.jpg
Views: 2257
Size:  102.5 KB

The left light is light blue and the right light is dark blue. I can't see how the ignition switch change could have affected this and it may just have been a coincidence. The switch would have to be on for the lights to work but there would be other malfunctions as well. You may have just blown that bulb or the socket might not be grounded.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:27 PM   #3
Rig7

Yes you are right I found a ground wire that has a clip on the end of it. I got it grounded and both blinkers are working. But now I have another problem, before I found the ground wire disconnected the lights for the dashboard worked. Now that I grounded that wire my blinkers work but my other cluster lights quit working. They were going back and forth with the blinkers working with the ground grounded but without it grounded the cluster lights work and Vise a verse a.
Rig7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:02 AM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

it sounds like you have a poor ground on the dash cluster and the blinkers are using the dash light ground. I would run another good ground to the dash and see if the dash lights work with the blinkers on.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote