The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
joelsdelone

Cool Which Transmission is right for my application?

Hello all. I am pretty green when it comes to automotive, but have owned my 1986 c10 for about three years now, it is my daily and I love it.

I've recently swapped my old stock 305 with a rebuilt (practically new) 383 Stroker motor. It is 4-bolt main with a large comp cam, 70's block with bored .60 over Vortec heads. 670cfm Holley street avenger carb, etc..

I am ready to purchase a New/Rebuilt transmission to match my new engine. I am looking for something with some noticeable punch, but I am not looking to take it to the strip. Again it is my daily driver.

-----------------------------------
Summit offers the Performance Automatic Street Smart Transmission Systems

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PMA-PA70104/

Currently considering one of these (700r or TH-400)

-------------

I would love some feed back on what might be the right stall/transmission for my application.

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers! Joe
joelsdelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
1968SWBBigBlock

Re: Which Transmission is right for my application?

As 700r4's go thats a good price with a lifetime warranty.
Based upon my research the 700r4 have many weakness'
The input shaft and the sunshell are normally the 1st to go (it does not look like they use the better components in this transmisson for that part - the stuff they list is good though) - next is pumps and planetary gears.
The T400 is a power hog and for your application is over kill - you should be able to find a T350 rebuilt with a better modulator, shift kit and extra clutch packs for around 600.00 and another 350.00 for a converter should handle the power you have.
My T350 is abused with 490hp & 540 TQ with huge tires and I am on year 3 with it.
T350 take about 50% less HP to turn than a T400
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
joelsdelone

68SWB, thanks man. sounds like I might not be out as much $$ as I thought. Again thanks for the great input.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
cableguy0

The th350 is likely the best choice for the money. If your not worried about overdrive its the way to go for price and durability. Make sure you get a hardened sprag,shift kit,and good clutches. They are pretty much standard on a performance type build. The tci streetfighter trans has these things. Most tranny shops will also build you the same transmission.Stay with a good name on the converter and get the biggest transmission cooler you can find and it will live a long happy life. For a converter I like boss hog,tci,hughes,ati theres no need to buy an 800 dollar billet race converter but you dont want to skimp and buy a cheapie. A converter blowing up takes the transmission with it. You can likely get the whole package dealt with for less than 1200 bucks. If you choose to go with a 700r4 to get an overdrive its going to be a good bit more than that to get a solid tranny that will hold up. You dont want a full manual valve on a street bound vehicle. A manual/automatic is what your looking for.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
joelsdelone

thanks cable guy! any idea of what size stall/gear ratio will give me that "punch" I'm looking for?

I was thinking something in the 2200-2600 range.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
cableguy0

Need the rest of the specs of the engine. What is compression,cam,intake,carb size,heads? what rear gear is in the truck?
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
joelsdelone

makes sense, i will try to post that info tonight. thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
joelsdelone

Guys. I ran accoss what I think is a deal on CraigsList.

------------------------------------

I bought this trans, with a 2200 stall converter that I am selling with it, in aprox. 02 for my Nova. With in a year I wrecked the car but drove it home and pulled the motor and this transmission. It was working just fine. I was holding on to it for my Monte Carlo but then that was stolen. It has been sitting in a garage for about 6-7 years and has never been opened except for the rear yoke being pulled out. The torque converter has never even been removed. I only ran the B&M blue fluid in it and it is still in there. It has not dropped one drop of fluid. The bell housing is the GM bolt pattern. I do have the B&M ratchet shifter that I used for it and will include that too. I also have an extra fly wheel that is for a 400 crank shaft externally balanced that was never used and still in the box. I will include that too if you want it. I want to get rid of it b/c I have moved on to other things and need to free up space and money.

He is asking $400.00 for everything, I am a bit weary of a tranny thats been sitting for 6+ years. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
cableguy0

Its been sitting long enough that I would want to at least put a paper and rubber kit in it. Which would include all the internal seals and drum lip seals etc. You could put it in and it work fine or it wont kind of a gamble. I also dont trust converters of unknown origin. Not all converters are created equal to say the least. You can get a 2200 stall for 75 bucks but you likely dont want to use it in your transmission if your making any power. The thing is that without a warranty a used transmission should be sold as a core to be rebuilt because condition is unknown especially after sitting. Without knowing what kind of converter it is nor the condition I would pass.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
Transbuilderguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsdelone View Post
Guys. I ran accoss what I think is a deal on CraigsList.

I bought this trans, with a 2200 stall converter that I am selling with it, in aprox. 02 for my Nova. With in a year I wrecked the car but drove it home and pulled the motor and this transmission. It was working just fine. I was holding on to it for my Monte Carlo but then that was stolen. It has been sitting in a garage for about 6-7 years and has never been opened except for the rear yoke being pulled out. The torque converter has never even been removed. I only ran the B&M blue fluid in it and it is still in there. It has not dropped one drop of fluid. The bell housing is the GM bolt pattern. I do have the B&M ratchet shifter that I used for it and will include that too. I also have an extra fly wheel that is for a 400 crank shaft externally balanced that was never used and still in the box. I will include that too if you want it. I want to get rid of it b/c I have moved on to other things and need to free up space and money.

He is asking $400.00 for everything, I am a bit weary of a tranny thats been sitting for 6+ years. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
a tranny that has been sitting may have hardened seals. furthermore with a th350 you will want to make sure that is has the direct drum double fed. this can be done with the shift kit or internally, internal is better and you will definalty want to make sure it has a hardened sprag race.
Transbuilderguy is offline   Reply With Quote