The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
timmyv

'61 transmission crossmember

Hi Everybody. I'm new to the forum and i was hoping that somebody could help me with a question.
I have a '61 chevy shortbed stepside that my grandfather got in a trade and is now going to sell to me. the previous owner swapped in a small block 350 and a th350 tranny but didn't quite finnish the project, the motor mounts are not really figured out at all. I read the thread in the FAQ on this exact swap but i still have a problem. The owner took out the stock manual transmission and crossmember just like the guy the in the swap thread did but he never found the correct crossmember for the automatic transmission. from what the thread says i'm guessing that i also won't find the correct crossmember so i was just gonna buy an aftermarket equivalent as i don't trust my welding skills to make an adequate replacement myself.
I've found several tubing crossmembers for a 63-66 but nothing for the 60-62. I believe that the only difference between those would be the e-brake cable system, but my stock e-brake stuff is gone anyway so i'll just figure out using a later style linkage that doesn't involve the crossmember.
Does anyone know if using a 63-66 crossmember would work out like this?
is the correct one for a 61 available somewhere?
Thank you for your help
Timmy
timmyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
padresag

Re: '61 transmission crossmember

60-62 are in a class of themselves, different frame structure.
markeb01 who is a member here has has a good thread on this. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=369663
and this is a good thread to go threw for info. it is up a little higher on this page
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=450021
welcome
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
timmyv

that is the thread that I read in the FAQ. When markeb01 did it he used a stock crossmember from a 60-62 longbed and cut it to fit the shortbed frame. I don't think that i'll ever find the appropriate crossmember like he did. Can anyone tell me how far apart the frame rails are where the crossmember bolts in on a 63-66? If it's the same as my frame rails i think that I'll just use a 63 xmember and a later style E-brake linkage
Old 03-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
padresag

the reason tha Mark had to modify was that the x member is a little different between a long and a short bed so he had to modify it a bit. you may find a stock one but they usually want a lot of money for them.
by looking at what mark has there you could fab one up. have someone weld it up for you.
I have already told you that 63 frame was different so that isn't going to do you any good
this may help you . http://www.persh.org/pickup/700R4.htm
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
timmyv

That looks like it'll help me fab one. Thank you for the link.
Thanks, Timmy