The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
b-mac

17" Spares?

In the process of doing the AD/S10 swap, and got sidetracked into putting Camaro brakes on the S10 chassis when I had it torn apart. Now I've created the problem that my S10 stock wheels I was planning to run will no longer fit over the calipers.
So now I need a set of 17" wheels. I love the Vintiques, but I'm a cheapskate. Do any of you guys have experience with using spare tire wheels. If so, do you know what vehicles I need to be looking in. My S10 lug pattern is 5x4.75 I believe, though 5x4.5 might work.
Or any other ideas of how to find 17" wheels on the cheap. I'm looking for the smoothie, or the steel wheel look. I would like to avoid spokes.
Thanks for the help.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: 17" Spares?

i have 15'' steel wheels from wheels vintiques, as i remember they weren't too pricey
$60 each 8 yrs ago, i'm sure they're more now
and they fit over 4 wheel discs

not sure those spare wheels are rated for any distance, not even the wheels
i'd steer clear of them

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer

Last edited by _Ogre; 05-20-2015 at 03:15 PM.
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #3
mr48chev

Wheels Vintique 17 inch plain steelies start at 220 for a 7 inch wide rim. http://www.wheelvintiques.com/index....62-series.html
That runs the tab up when you are looking at 4 of them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
_Ogre

ouch! i guess they had a slight price increase
though as i remember the 15s were a lot less than the 17s
seeing as i needed 5 of them... glad i went with 15s

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mac View Post
In the process of doing the AD/S10 swap, and got sidetracked into putting Camaro brakes on the S10 chassis when I had it torn apart. Now I've created the problem that my S10 stock wheels I was planning to run will no longer fit over the calipers.
So now I need a set of 17" wheels. I love the Vintiques, but I'm a cheapskate. Do any of you guys have experience with using spare tire wheels. If so, do you know what vehicles I need to be looking in. My S10 lug pattern is 5x4.75 I believe, though 5x4.5 might work.
Or any other ideas of how to find 17" wheels on the cheap. I'm looking for the smoothie, or the steel wheel look. I would like to avoid spokes.
Thanks for the help.

I dont know of any spare steel wheels that are 17" and 5 on 4.75. If you are running spacers, maybe run a pattern change set of spacers and then you can find ford 150 steel spares that are 17". Ogre makes an excellent point that you will need 5, unless you move a 17 from the rear to replace a flat 17 on the front, and put a spare 15 on the rear.

I went with 98-03 blazer brakes on my trucks because the larger rotors and dual piston calipers are a spindle bolt on upgrade and 15" wheels fit. I know that doesnt help if you are already done with your brake swap.

the 2010+ camaro 18s are steel with a beauty ring, and I have seen a guy change the offset by grinding the center welds and moving the center, I dont think he even pulled the tires!

I am also from wichita! I have seen some camaro 18s on craigslist recently, reasonable at 450 with tires, I thought of picking them up.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
b-mac

Thanks for the replies guys. joedoh, holy cow. Never thought of modifying a wheel. I know a guy who MADE is own for a dune buggy, but I'm not that talented.
I'll probably just start saving for the vintiques, as you guys suggested. And you're right Ogre, the 15's are a lot cheaper. In hindsight, I probably should have done what joedoh did, and used the blazer brakes.
Apparently a lot of the ratrod guys use spare steel wheels, but usually older 15s. At least, according to another forum.
joedoh, I've been thinking about doing the Blazer brake swap on the rear end, or really a whole 4x4 rearend with discs. Any idea where I can find one of those in town?
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
joedoh

stockton wheel can take steel centers from 15s and put them in 17" barrels but thats not inexpensive and really its reserved for hard to find wheels like 15" musclecar rallies. not camaro type rallies, rallies like what come on fords and such, the stamped 5 spoke. stockton also "bands" wheels to make them wider.

they use the same process to change offset, the centers are usually just welded in with tack welds, or small stitch welds, grind that weld and you can move the center in and out by force. get an old spindle and some welding wire as a truing stand and get the centers true, then weld them back up. I want to get a set of the camaros and fully reverse them, pound the centers out and flip them, you can get a really low backspace that way.

watch craigslist for 98-03 4x4 blazer partouts. the rear end is the first thing to go most times so you have to be quick! I bought a whole blazer for what the rear end was worth to me, ended up having a good motor so I bought another 98 blazer 2wd with a knocking motor to swap it into. I will do it tomorrow if the rain doesnt stop me. you may have to buy a whole truck too, sellers arent usually keen on taking away the rolling aspect of their partout.

I would sell that 4x4 disc rear I have, but looking at the rpo codes its the optional 3:73 with G80 limited slip, so I dont think I could sell it for less than what they go for, if I did, that would just be leaving money on the table and the buyer would probably just sell it on himself!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote