The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2018, 12:03 AM   #1
dmjlambert

Rockauto fans teach me please

Hi folks!
Suppose I am looking at Rockauto for shocks for my 69 CST/10.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...+absorber,7556
Please tell me, is there something right there on that Rockauto site that tells me the fitment and helps me on what to order? I look at the info about Monroe 37040 and Monroe 37049 which are in the same section for Original Ride Quality. The info is quite nice, but I don't see anything about why I should order one or the other. If I leave the site and google Monroe 37040, one of the top links is Amazon, and when I go to Amazon and look, Amazon tells me "This product fits this position on your 1969 Chevrolet C10 Pickup: rear". When I look on Amazon for Monroe 37049, I find the fitment is for the front position.

My question: is this the way you guys shop, the folks who like Rockauto? Find out what you want from a competing site that has adequate information, and then flip over to Rockauto to buy it? Or am I missing something and I should be able to find all info I need on Rockauto and I'm just missing it or not clicking on the right links? I have not really started using Rockauto because I can't find real information there, and I often just buy from whoever actually provides me the information, but perhaps I am missing out. The Rockauto commercials on TV may be working on me...
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:46 AM   #2
FirstOwner69

Re: Rockauto fans teach me please

Your RockAuto link says the 37040 is for the rear and 37049 is for the front. Look for the description at the left under the manufacturer's name. Also, if you click the part number it'll display all the years, makes, and models the item fits. You get even more info if you click "info" and the pictures.

Actually, I think RockAuto's information is better than most and certainly a lot easier and faster to navigate.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 03-03-2018 at 12:52 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:59 AM   #3
randy500
Account Suspended

I love rockauto but it isn't going to tell you which part is better or have any reviews. Mostly you need to know what your looking for and decide.
The great thing about it is there are so many choice for each part you need.
I also take the part numbers from there and shop locally, amazon and summit, rockauto is usually the cheapest but not always. Delivery speed and accuracy is awesome.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Your RockAuto link says the 37040 is for the rear and 37049 is for the front. Look for the description at the left under the manufacturer's name.
Thanks. Now I see it. I was clicking on the Info button, where it talks about how great the shock is, but does not give that info. I did not read the first screen closely enough.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I only use Rock Auto for part numbers and then go to Amazon and get my Prime 2 day shipping. LOL.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
Jason Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I only use Rock Auto for part numbers and then go to Amazon and get my Prime 2 day shipping. LOL.

Gary
I usually price check against amazon and compare. I then order what I can from each...

Rock Auto shipping is usually pretty quick anyway. Maybe 3 days for me.
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
67chevemall

Great site. Sometimes you have to switch a few things around so they ship everything from the same place.
A B C ect
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
Hotcorner

I find the P/N from another website first.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hotcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
davepl

Honestly unless there's a BIG price difference I buy where I find, if they've put any effort into it, which is usually Amazon, and they're usually price competitive anyway. That's my being raised in a small town hardware store and valuing the service, I guess.

I feel bad doing a bunch of research at "Granny's Auto Parts Info Store" and then buying the part number on RockAuto. Don't get me wrong, if Granny is being greedy I sure will, but if her prices are anywhere near reasonable, I buy where I got the info if I can.

I'll admit going the other way... using the LMC catalog to find a factory part number that I then Google and buy on Amazon. That's not fair either, really... but my most common shopping lately has been from factory catalog. Get the GM part number and put it into Amazon and it's cross-reference system has found me a ton of obscure stuff (usually because it's cross-listed with a Corvette or something).
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote