The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Our Stuff... In Scale

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Best way to remove paint from Hot Wheel

I have a Hot Wheel '65 Panel truck that I want to repaint like my real one. I found the Testors paint that I think will match but what's the best way to remove the paint of the Hot Wheel?

I do have a bead blaster that I was thinking of using but if there is something better, I'm ears.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
jeffro2

Re: Best way to remove paint from Hot Wheel

I'm not sure about Hot Wheels, because I've never tried it, but I use this on my ABS plastic bodies when they are coated in layers of who knows what kind of paint.

I keep a tub of it under the bench. If you use this, make sure you use rubber or surgical gloves, it wll dry your skin out.. It also works great to remove anodizing from aluminum, but that works quick, and you have to watch it, or it may ruin the finish on the aluminum.

As an example, this came from ebay.

After a couple weeks.

Then after using a toothbrush and some elbow grease.

And now..

Some people use EZ OFF oven cleaner, (Yellow can),the generic stuff don't work too well,

And some people use brake fluid, the one without silicone in it..I've never tried it.
jeffro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Re: Best way to remove paint from Hot Wheel

I take them apart and use good paint stripper. I take a plastic cup,fill it so the body will be submerged,plunk it in,and let i soak along time. Then,just hose off. Works like a charm. That's how I did these:

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote