The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #1
StepsideD

C10 vs K10 for winter driving

Hello, I am looking for some advice from anyone who drives in snow. I live in northern Illinois, so the winters can get a little harsh for driving. Especially since the plows tend to take awhile. I got it in my head that I need something with AWD/4X4. Does anyone here with a C10 have regular experience driving on snowy roads? I guess I am wondering if a 4x4 is necessary. It seems like it is easier to get a C10 than a K10.

Can you drive on a snowy road just fine with a C10? Not sure if I just got it stuck in my head that I need a K10. I am not going to do any offroading or anything. This would be purely for the potential need during the winter. Thanks in advance!
StepsideD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
bpmcgee

Re: C10 vs K10 for winter driving

Step,

I also live in Chicago, and my experience driving a '72 C10 longbed was this -- the back end gets skittish like a spring colt!

Personally I don't drive my old truck in the winter anyway, though -- both because I don't want to get it all salty, and because the Illinois Antique Vehicle plates are for summer driving anyway.

B
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
StepsideD

That makes sense. Odds are I wouldn't use it as a daily driver anyway. Just wanted to know if it was an option.
StepsideD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

I drove a '63 C10, a '68 C10 and a '71 C10 through many South Dakota winters. The biggest advice I can give you is to make sure you have really good tires on the back and throw a bunch of weight in the back. They are light on that back end and I liked to throw about 750 lbs in the back for the winter. Still did get stuck a few times but it helps a lot.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
Indian113

My stepside gets a little skidish on slick roads. But if you put weight in it and decent snow tires you might get around better. I carry about 400 lbs. in the back of my 2wd Ls S10, with 275 -15 rear tires it isn't a snow plow but I can drive in the snow. If the snow is over 4 inches deep I stay at home because I am retired and I don't really need to go that Bad.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #6
jocko

You don't need a C10 or a K10, you want a K20, you just don't know it yet! . CAN you drive a C10 safely in snow, yes. Can you drive a K10 MORE safely in snow? Yes. I grew up in Gary and Lake effect snow sucked on top of the regular snow. If you're gonna drive in snow, your instincts are pretty correct. You don't NEED a K, but it's better in snow, no doubt about that. Since it sounds line you're in the truck choosing phase, I'd go K any day of the week. Then again, isn't prefer a K even if I lived in AZ.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
Nanook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
You don't need a C10 or a K10, you want a K20, you just don't know it yet! . CAN you drive a C10 safely in snow, yes. Can you drive a K10 MORE safely in snow? Yes. I grew up in Gary and Lake effect snow sucked on top of the regular snow. If you're gonna drive in snow, your instincts are pretty correct. You don't NEED a K, but it's better in snow, no doubt about that. Since it sounds line you're in the truck choosing phase, I'd go K any day of the week. Then again, isn't prefer a K even if I lived in AZ.
Totally agree with this reply!
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
padresag

people have been driving in the winters for over a 100 years with 2 whl dr pickups with no problems. it is with perhaps your confidence and skill as a
driver that has you concerned
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
Indian113

I can still remember what the salesman said to me when I bought my 1st 4wd truck and traded in my 2 wd. " Have you ever been Stuck in that 2wd? Well Now your going to get Stuck DEEPER!" Oh Yeah he was Right
Old 07-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
ACK

C10 plus snow equals white knuckle driving, throw in some hills along with an impatient @sshole and let the fun begin! I've done it, but don't like it.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
mongocanfly
Post Whore

2wd and what we call snow around here just don't mix...our snow is more ice than snow...that's why i got rid of my 86 2wd years ago..regret it now but oh well...all my current drivers but one is 4wd...I've driven in Colorado in 2-3ft of snow with no problem...here in Alabama a quarter inch is nearly impossible to drive in sometimes. ..
I'd personally go 4x4
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:55 AM   #12
spacedebris

I used to drive professionally and I'm here to say that it matters very little as to which is better. Mostly it has to do with the driver and their skill in snow. To be honest 4x4/AWD gives MOST drivers an undeserved confidence in snow and other adverse conditions. Now I have driven 2 wheel drives, both rear wheel and front wheel, 4x4's, and AWD's, as well as some 6x6 and larger. All have their pros and cons.

Having said that, yes 4x4 is better IF you have decent skill and a LOT of common sense. The latter is missing in most drivers today. Most people with 4x4 drive much too fast for conditions, do not know what to do if they DO loose traction, and panic far too easily when something does go wrong.

Now what I did when I first moved to a place with snowy conditions was take my car (an 81 Bonneville at the time RWD) to the Mall parking lot at midnight. I had big empty lot covered in snow. I would drive and put the car into a spin and then try and correct. Did it until it became a reflex. As it happens I also got a good laugh from the cops when they came over to see what I was doing. LOL. I did the same when I got my first FWD and again when I got my first 4x4. All react differently to the same conditions.

And as said above, if you have a C10, the rear is light so you loose traction easily. I second the recommendation of throwing a few hundred pounds in the rear to help with traction. I used to throw kitty-litter in tubs in the back of my truck, that way if I ended up stuck somewhere I could take some of it and throw under the tires for extra traction.

No matter what you decide to get just remember to take it slow (usually slower than you think it should). The trick with ice/snow is slow steady movements. No quick movements of any kind. Easy on the breaks, gentle on the steering, leave the lead foot at home, and keep a cool (no pun intended) head. Do this and what you drive becomes less important. I've rarely found a situation where 4x4 was mandatory. Oh, dont get me wrong, there were many times I wish I had 4x4 instead of my 2x4 RWD. It would have been simpler but I managed and you can too, no matter what you have. All things being equal, if you have common sense and a bit of skill 4x4 is best but 4x2 will work just fine, under most conditions.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009

Last edited by spacedebris; 07-27-2017 at 02:04 AM.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #13
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I drive my 64 GMC 3/4 ton all year....all I can say is....Weight....fill that bed with wood, bricks, concrete.....whatever....but get something heavy back there. Also DON'T put wide a** tires on the back and front or you'll make things worse.....deep tread, tall, and skinny.

Keep in mind my 3/4 ton GMC has a 900 pound 305 v6 up front....so I had to at least match that in the rear.
Load of green wood and 32 inch deep tread skinny tires made driving through 3 foot of snow pretty decent....even on black ice it wasn't to bad. Course....my top speed was 20 mph. haha Luckily the roads were ok....but back roads were not plowed. Made for some fun!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #14
duallyjams

driver skill

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #15
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
I drive my 64 GMC 3/4 ton all year....all I can say is....Weight....fill that bed with wood, bricks, concrete.....whatever....but get something heavy back there. Also DON'T put wide a** tires on the back and front or you'll make things worse.....deep tread, tall, and skinny.

Keep in mind my 3/4 ton GMC has a 900 pound 305 v6 up front....so I had to at least match that in the rear.
Load of green wood and 32 inch deep tread skinny tires made driving through 3 foot of snow pretty decent....even on black ice it wasn't to bad. Course....my top speed was 20 mph. haha Luckily the roads were ok....but back roads were not plowed. Made for some fun!
not whatever as if one gets in an accident you will have a lot of loose missiles in the back. thinks like sandbags are a lot safer
ron
Old 07-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #16
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
people have been driving in the winters for over a 100 years with 2 whl dr pickups with no problems. it is with perhaps your confidence and skill as a
driver that has you concerned
ron
Haven't been on the 60-66 side of the house much lately, good to see some things never change. Great way to welcome a new guy with a statement that provides zero benefit to anyone except the perpetually grumpy poster.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #17
Indian113

In my S10 I built a frame work of 2x6's from wheel well to each side and put sand bags in that frame work it's right on top of rear axle.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #18
padresag

Quote:
Haven't been on the 60-66 side of the house much lately, good to see some things never change. Great way to welcome a new guy with a statement that provides zero benefit to anyone except the perpetually grumpy poster.
just straight fact
ron
Old 07-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #19
jocko

just usual tact
Old 07-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #20
padresag

Quote:
just usual tact
I could send you a couple these

ron
Old 07-27-2017, 11:52 PM   #21
jocko

StepsideD, sorry to have interrupted your thread. You'll find most folks are very helpful on here and there's a wealth of knowledge, so hope you stick around. Just didn't want you to leave with a bad taste before you even got started. Looking forward to pics of your truck. Go K, you won't regret it, whether it snows or not!
Old 07-28-2017, 12:23 AM   #22
'63GENIII

I like Spacedebris' method / response.

A lot of good tips throughout this thread.

To reiterate though it really boils down to common sense no matter what you're driving, skill level and application of these skills when needed and knowing the capabilities and limitations of your rig.

An old tow truck driver once imparted some wisdom on my 18 y.o. know it all self while he was pulling my big bad *** mud truck out of a dry lakebed that was really just a 6" dry top layer with 8 feet of mud under it. His wisdom - "4 wheel drive will get ya anywhere.... just won't get ya back". The tuition from that helped temper my go anywhere, anytime confidence over the last 30 years.

That said, I am definitely more comfortable driving the '63K truck in inclement conditions than I am in say our '04 Yukon Denali AWD with computer gizmos for traction. This is especially true in the snow.

It doesnt snow here where we live but we do spend a lot of time during the winter where it does and it stays for a while meaning ice. On those trips the wife will always ask if the truck is ready to go. During the summer months shed prefer that the truck didn't go. Even she understands that it just hooks up better in the snow than her fancy car. The heater works better too! We still take our time regardless of which vehicle we take but the truck has always been WAY more surefooted. I wouldn't even consider taking one of our 2wd vehicles to the mountains if I didn't absolutely need to.

The pic is of my folks cabin in Calaveras Co. The driveway drops off even more from where the truck is parked. In the winter, its not uncommon for the roads to have a couple inches on them, a plow berm at the bottom of the driveway and ice on the driveway. Not once have I had to shovel, salt or winch it. It just tractors up it. A little sliding, a light foot and an extra axle working.

I agree with some of the others here. K truck and a K20 at that. Even if you have to swap axles to get the 3/4 gear.
Attached Images

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:45 AM   #23
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
not whatever as if one gets in an accident you will have a lot of loose missiles in the back. thinks like sandbags are a lot safer
ron
Good point....hence my 20 mph top speed. lol But yes, sand bags are a great idea.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:27 AM   #24
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepsideD View Post
Hello, I am looking for some advice from anyone who drives in snow. I live in northern Illinois, so the winters can get a little harsh for driving. Especially since the plows tend to take awhile. I got it in my head that I need something with AWD/4X4. Does anyone here with a C10 have regular experience driving on snowy roads? I guess I am wondering if a 4x4 is necessary. It seems like it is easier to get a C10 than a K10.

Can you drive on a snowy road just fine with a C10? Not sure if I just got it stuck in my head that I need a K10. I am not going to do any offroading or anything. This would be purely for the potential need during the winter. Thanks in advance!
I grew up [figuratively speaking] on a farm in the midwest.. so yah, spent a great deal of driving in inclement weather on unimproved roads, lanes, and woodlands..

the 65 c20 will get stuck in wet grass, not an ideal all weather/terrain pickup but as mentioned above with some smart weight distribution over the rear axle, can be moderately effective.. tire technology, gearing, limited slip/posi diffs etc. can also improve the versatility of a c series.. my 02 2wd with 4.56 eaton posi negotiates a fair bit more than it did from gm.. but in all cases, shoving an undriven heavily weighted axle around is 2 strikes against you..

also have an 86 f250 460 auto 4x that we use around the farm that is naturally more capable in our climate and terrain.. dad always said though - 2x in and 4x out, don't tear up my truck doing stupid sh.. like your uncle [fried the engine AND trans in a 4x toy in deep drifted snow on the farm] and we actually rarely lock hubs, but it has crawled out of some ugly stuff when I thought for sure we'd be walking to the house for a tractor..

but the bigger concern that I would recommend you consider is what you're actually planning to drive on the most.. snow itself is not that difficult to drive on in typical depths encountered in urban or metro areas.. rural areas however will drift to depths that make getting around more difficult for the 2x..

what I recall presenting more trouble than the snow was the frozen ground underneath or the muddy slush left behind on a sunny day.. these are hazards that a 4x can make some measurable difference..

ice? forget it.. everything with rubber tires gets stuck on ice.. studs maybe a bit of help but not feasible in the city.. been through ice storms where nothing could get up the steep hills of our driveway including 4wd tractors.. sub zero ground covered in ice puts a halt on everything but tracks.. level ground and super sloooow and you might get around without a collision but odds are against you..

so you might want to ask the audience where you live exactly.. parents, peers, co-workers, etc. to see what they drive for different seasons and surfaces and how it works for them..

btw, I was stationed in great lakes ntc near waukegan 89-90.. shoveled a hundred miles of sidewalks that winter going to school there..

good luck!
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:27 AM   #25
flashed

In North Ga our snow is usually on top of a layer of ice and the roads are curvy and very hilly ,few flat areas and then mix that in with people from up north that know how to drive in snow up north driving too fast in the southern Ice/snow mix and we then have snowjam after they abandon their cars everywhere so the few snowplows we have cant get through . Im no pro on it either but it does not really matter for me during those times as Im usually having to stay on our university campus clearing snow and ice so our students are safe .I sure wish we had a snow blower here .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote