The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
vikingsandpintos

How to find why fuel gauge doesn't work?

Getting some more stuff knocked out on my daughters 67 C10...

The fuel gauge reads empty, and didn't change when I put fuel in it. The wire going to the sending unit from the dash and under the carpet and seat is hooked up. What is the best way to figure out what isn't working? It could be sending unit, gauge, or wiring, just not sure how to diagnose it all. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks! Earl
vikingsandpintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
demian5

Re: How to find why fuel gauge doesn't work?

Pull the wire off the sender, turn the ignition on and ground the wire to the body. It should go to full.

- If it doesn't move, try it at the gauge terminal (connect to ground). If it moves at the gauge, then you know the wire has an open (you say empty, but if the gauge was showing full then I would tell you it may have a short to the vehicles body).
- If the gauge goes full AND the wire is good, the sender is easy enough to pull and take a look at. Make sure it is grounded to the tank and the tank is grounded to the body. A simple DVOM resistance check between components can show that.
- If the gauge doesn't do squat, check the power to it .
* If it has power, check that the resistor on the gauge isn't blown. I've seen many a gauge replaced for a $2 resistor that can be replaced! They are sold through truck and car shop.
* If it doesn't have power, well, figure out why or jumper power to the gauge directly (at least jumper to figure out if the gas gauge or sender is working).
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC

Last edited by demian5; 07-27-2017 at 12:26 PM.
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
ApacheIvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Pull the wire off the sender, turn the ignition on and ground the wire to the body. It should go to full.

- If it doesn't move, try it at the gauge terminal (connect to ground). If it moves at the gauge, then you know the wire has an open (you say empty, but if the gauge was showing full then I would tell you it may have a short to the vehicles body).
- If the gauge goes full AND the wire is good, the sender is easy enough to pull and take a look at. Make sure it is grounded to the tank and the tank is grounded to the body. A simple DVOM resistance check between components can show that.
* If it has power, check that the resistor on the gauge isn't blown. I've seen many a gauge replaced for a $2 resistor that can be replaced! They are sold through truck and car shop.
* If it doesn't have power, well, figure out why or jumper power to the gauge directly (at least jumper to figure out if the gas gauge or sender is working).
Perfect explanation! You can do this with oil or temp gauge as well.
Original Owner

** Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?**
ApacheIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
vikingsandpintos

Wow, that was fast! Thank you, this forum is awesome... Lots of helpful people here! I would encourage everyone to become a member to help support this, what an asset to the Chevy truck community!
vikingsandpintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #5
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Could be as simple as the float. I'm on my third aftermarket one now. They are so poorly made that ethanol eats holes in them. One of them actually split but not at the seam!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #6
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheIvan View Post
Perfect explanation! You can do this with oil or temp gauge as well.
Fuel and temp gauge for sure, but the oil gauges are mechanical in these trucks from the factory from what I have seen.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
jojomiamia

Hi,

I bought an aftermarket sending unit to go with a brand new tank, float was full of fuel two weeks later...reading 0
jojomiamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
Could be as simple as the float. I'm on my third aftermarket one now. They are so poorly made that ethanol eats holes in them. One of them actually split but not at the seam!
Word is these are good float replacements: Jeep OMX-1772901 (a.k.a. 17729.01).

The gauge in my driver doesn't work right. Actually, I witnessed it register for a second, when it was cold as heck. It works well enough for me. Reads a pinch over 1/4 when full. At 1/8 it's time to fill up again.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Reads a pinch over 1/4 when full. At 1/8 it's time to fill up again.
Sounds like your resistor is bad. My sons 86 operated like that, turned out the resistor on the rear of the gauge was bad.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
ApacheIvan

Quote:
Fuel and temp gauge for sure, but the oil gauges are mechanical in these trucks from the factory from what I have seen.
True dat! I forgot
Original Owner

** Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?**
ApacheIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:

The gauge in my driver doesn't work right. Actually, I witnessed it register for a second, when it was cold as heck. It works well enough for me. Reads a pinch over 1/4 when full. At 1/8 it's time to fill up again.
I'll check it out, thanks.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Sounds like your resistor is bad. My sons 86 operated like that, turned out the resistor on the rear of the gauge was bad.
Far as I know there's not a resistor on the 72. It has a gauge cluster, for whatever it matters.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 07-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #13
demian5

Quote:
Far as I know there's not a resistor on the 72. It has a gauge cluster, for whatever it matters.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=477811

http://www.truckandcarshop.com/6072.html Page 45
Old 07-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #14
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

LOL....AH!..........Okay thanks. I don't know where that is. I'll have to check the one on the shelf.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #15
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
Mine did the same always on empty. Float had a pin hole in it. Changed that 2 yrs. ago. No issues.
1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:09 PM   #16
mike16

pulling my fuel tank out due to serious rust issues, pulled out the sender and discovered that the rheostat switch inside attached to the sender inside the tank was completely rusted away, the lever that attaches to the float, the float itself and the sock filter... all gone. maybe its that junk that keeps clogging my filter every 4 days. Pull your intank sender unit. you may be surprised.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #17
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

read this thread, it will solve fuel gauge issues.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=640615

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #18
Coley

Smile Re: How to find why fuel gauge doesn't work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckvetter View Post
Mine did the same always on empty. Float had a pin hole in it. Changed that 2 yrs. ago. No issues.
ditto on the float....and easy to check. I've had a few go bad and lose their buoyancy.
Just move the seat forward and carefully remove the sending unit. if the float feels 'heavy'...its full of gas from a pin hole or a crack.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #19
Coley

Another thing that can get the gauge out of whack is with a second fuel tank that may have its own sending unit. I have one of those on my truck and there is a toggle switch for it under the dash.
The tank has not been used in, I suppose 10 years...but my buddy flicked that toggle switch to see what it would do out of curiousity.
Well the gauge headed for the 3:15 position which confused me at first because he didn't tell me about flicking the toggle switch.
However, something in that extra fuel system...perhaps a second sending unit in the other tank?....shut off my primary tanks connection and I lost my fuel gauge until I clicked the switch back.
Easy stuff.....just have to keep track of things.

all good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #20
Cmillet

Quote:

That plastic Jeep float on Amazon fixed my problems!
Cmillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #21
Freestate

I'm going to piggy off of this thread as I'm having similar issues. I have not started diagnosing the problem but wanted to see if I could get some expert advice as to where I should start.

Issue: When the gas tank is full, the fuel gauge will read just barely over 1/4. As the tank gets empty, it will drop to 1/8. I've never let it get below that before filling. My first thought would be to check the float. Thoughts? Should I check something else first before pulling the float out?
Freestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #22
demian5

Quote:
Pull the wire off the sender, turn the ignition on and ground the wire to the body. It should go to empty.

The original poster never came back to say he fixed anything.

You should start here and report back.

Last edited by demian5; 08-15-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #23
Freestate

Quote:
The original poster never came back to say he fixed anything.

You should start here and report back.
I think I'll start with looking at the float. I have a gut feeling its that, then I will work through this process if that's not the fix. Thanks for the help!
Freestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #24
CG
BlahBlahBlah

What a great thread! Just yesterday I hopped in the truck, turned the key, and my gas gauge zoomed way past the full marker. Ill print this out and get to work on it tonight.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #25
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestate View Post
I think I'll start with looking at the float. I have a gut feeling its that, then I will work through this process if that's not the fix. Thanks for the help!
Work smarter, not harder.