The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
68 Greenie

Power Brakes to Hydro Boost

Okay guys needing your help. I installed a 383 stroker with a 292 cam. I have power brakes with disc. front. Just before i installed the 383 I installed the new power brakes. Well now I have crappy brakes, they worked great with the old stock motor but now I have great motor and scary brakes, the big cam blues got me. I have checked for leaks and have none and not really wanting to listen to a vacuum pump kick on and off so I guess I will go the hydro way. I have never dealt with hydro so please can I pick your guys brain in what I need to get to make the conversion and what is the best product to get. Never ending battle seems like Im chasing my tail here. Im sure there are a lot of options just need to get some opinions. Thanks.
68 Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Power Brakes to Hydro Boost

You could always do something a little less expensive, like putting in a vacuum canister or a vacuum pump.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:46 PM   #3
68 Greenie

Yea I have thought about that but I just hate listening to that pump kick on and off. I have a friend who has gone through 3 of those pumps already. I just would like to fix it right and be done with it.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:02 AM   #4
randy500
Account Suspended

What are the cam specs at .050 lift? Brand, roller or non? That cam Shoodnt cause power brake problems.
Have you verified the booster check valve is working properly? Engine off for a few minutes and you should still have power assist for at lease one pedal stroke.
Is the booster hooked up to full manifold vacuum? Post a picture of how it's hooked up.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:02 AM   #5
bigdog55

I got my hydro-boost parts from a salvage yard and is working pretty good. the instructions on how to hook it up is here on the board.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
jeffahart

Not to argue what you do or don't need. Just a couple options on Hydroboost.

First, you should call these guys and see what they have to say. I think their system is about 500 bucks. Clean easy install. http://www.hydratechbraking.com/

Next junkyard parts. If you do this I would definitely get the master to match the booster and correct accumulator for Drum disc or disc disc.

If you go junkyard you will need a bit of tolerance for some minor fabrication on either the brake pedal OR the push rod that attaches to the pedal.

You will need to double flare some newer lines so you can hook to your old steering gear and power steering pump(double flare) and newer o-ring hose ends on the booster.

You need to get or fab a mounting plate. You can use one off a mid 80s truck with just cutting off the bottom. I can't speak for other applications you would have to look at them.

It's a simple upgrade, or conversion. You just need to decide if you want new clean easy, or cheap ugly with an extra bit of work.

But if you are not sure if you can do it or have serious questions I would call hydratech. I've never spoke with them but I heard their setup is nice.

I will probably be upgrading to some AN-6 braided high pressure lines. Why... because I bought both my high pressure lines for about $10 each on rock auto(plus shipping). I just looked for cheap ones that had length. I re-bent ends to fit my head and double flared. I don't like how lines stick out from the booster like tree branches. I am going to go a bit longer with some easier cleaner routing. My 2 cents on lines.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
Orange Crate

I got my hydroboost off of a CUCV. Modified the bracket that bolts to the firewall and then had to custom make the rod to the master cylinder. If you have any fabrication skills this is one of the easiest mods I have done. I did have custom hoses made as I knew what I wanted but couldn't find any stock hoses that I could route the way I wanted. I kept my same stock steering pump and just bought a brass "T" at the hardware store in the plumbing section and used that for the return line. I did rebuild the hydroboost as a precaution, and I think the kit was like $40 or so. Easy stuff....
Old 07-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Is your booster new er? Had a 292h comp cam in a 400 sb and made enough vacuum for a stop or 2
Old 07-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crate View Post
I got my hydroboost off of a CUCV. Modified the bracket that bolts to the firewall and then had to custom make the rod to the master cylinder. If you have any fabrication skills this is one of the easiest mods I have done. I did have custom hoses made as I knew what I wanted but couldn't find any stock hoses that I could route the way I wanted. I kept my same stock steering pump and just bought a brass "T" at the hardware store in the plumbing section and used that for the return line. I did rebuild the hydroboost as a precaution, and I think the kit was like $40 or so. Easy stuff....
It's why I'm thinking about the braided hoses. easy to cut to length and reusable connections. I got mine close to stock but pied out on the steering gear line. I ended up drilling a hole through the inner fender. I was not going to try to replicate that funky bend on the stock hose. I did do pretty good on the one going to the pump though. You can see that in the second pic. The trick on flaring is to flare the lines on an area with a straight run first... then re-bend to shape you want. There can be no distortion on the line where you flare!

I think the biggest part of the project is getting the lines to lay where you want them... PITA

Name:  20170624_103455.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  20170624_103443.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  49.7 KB
Old 07-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #10
Orange Crate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
It's why I'm thinking about the braided hoses. easy to cut to length and reusable connections. I got mine close to stock but pied out on the steering gear line. I ended up drilling a hole through the inner fender. I was not going to try to replicate that funky bend on the stock hose. I did do pretty good on the one going to the pump though. You can see that in the second pic. The trick on flaring is to flare the lines on an area with a straight run first... then re-bend to shape you want. There can be no distortion on the line where you flare!

I think the biggest part of the project is getting the lines to lay where you want them... PITA

Attachment 1674956

Attachment 1674957
Great work. I too made my own ends and flares. I then took those hard line ends to a hose shop and had them crimp the hoses on. I really didn't want to spend $80 per hose but they lay exactly where and how I wanted them. I think the whole conversion looks almost stock under the hood...well except for the TPI 406
Old 07-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #11
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crate View Post
Great work. I too made my own ends and flares. I then took those hard line ends to a hose shop and had them crimp the hoses on. I really didn't want to spend $80 per hose but they lay exactly where and how I wanted them. I think the whole conversion looks almost stock under the hood...well except for the TPI 406
Actually, that's a pretty good idea. I thought you had to give an old hose and have them replicate with the ends you want. I could just hack my ends off and get longer hoses. It's really my main issue is the length. In the big scheme of things $80 is not bad, especially if it gets the dang things out of your way when your under the hood working on it.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:37 PM   #12
68 Greenie

I have it hooked up to the back of the carb. Would I get more from vacuum from the port in the manifold? I haven't had a chance to put a vac. gauge on yet but if you think that I would get more vac. from the manifold I will try that. Should it be a big difference? Its a comp cam 292 non roller.